main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Willow - Sequel Series Premieres November 30, 2022

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Krueger, May 13, 2018.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
  2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm definitely all for this. A staple movie in our household as a child, it's worthy of a sequel and now would be a great time to do it. Get Howard to direct the sequel too.

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I think this a great idea and would diversify Lucasfilm's portfolio beyond just Star Wars and Indy 5.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  4. Gerald's Game

Gerald's Game Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2017
    I give my official "Gerald nod of approval" for Ron Howard's involvement with future Lucasfilm projects. These are films that might have been done by George.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    And he has a tradition of either starring in some of Lucas' films or directing them. It is as close a relationship to having him involved as Spielberg.

6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, I would like to see Howard continue working with Lucasfilm.

BigAl6ft6 and Tython Awakening like this.
  7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I hope this comes to fruition. It has been talked about here and there over the years, including Lucas penning stories that Chris Claremont expanded into novelizations. But those were....different. Howard can make a proper sequel to Willow and fantasy has never been as in demand as it is now. Maybe they could even do it as something besides a film or do a mini series or something different? The film world is changing and it seems that unless you have this massive $200+ million dollar budgeted film with stars and presold properties like comic books or existing franchises, it can be difficult and is a big risk.

I guess I am hopeful but skeptical it will happen.

8. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Wow, quite a surprise to hear this news! I completely approve.
    There's been occasional talk about expanding the world of Willow over the years, but this might be one of the most concrete newbits regarding a sequel that we've received in several years. If Ron Howard directs, that'd be great, but all I ask is to make sure Warwick Davis is involved, whether or not the film entirely focuses on his character.

Dandelo likes this.
  9. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    I'm not sure how Val Kilmer and Joane Whalley are looking these days but I'd like to have them involved as well. It'd be awesome if Howard asks Lucas to help with the general story outline as well.

Tosche_Station and Sarge like this.
  10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Val Kilmer doesn't seem in good health judging by how he appeared in last years The Snowman.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Would've floored me a few years back, but after pretty much anything and everything being rebooted/resurrected these days I think I'd prefer Willow to remain in the past. I'm rather fond of its standing as a bit of a hidden gem, something that could've taken off into a bigger franchise under different circumstances but didn't and remains an interesting one-off.

Still, if they're going to do it, get a Lucas story, Howard, and Bryce Dallas and of course I'm in.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  12. yodaman_reborn

Feb 7, 2009
    That’s too bad. I want to see him still kicking butt and have Willow say, “You’re still great!”

Lulu Mars and Sarge like this.
  13. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
  14. yodaman_reborn

Feb 7, 2009
    The only concern that I have is how Madmartigan, Sorsha and Willow in some ways mirror Han, Leia and Luke. I'm not sure how their characters would be handled. And of course the protagonist would be Elora who would mirror the Kira/Rey character. They'd have to go off in a completely different direction with those characters so that it doesn't seem like just a SW sequel trilogy repeat.

Tosche_Station and Sarge like this.
  15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, it would be wasteful if they just do an epic fantasy version of The Force Awakens, IMO. One reason I'd like Bryce Dallas in the starring role is that Elora could be an established adult rather than a would be adventurer nearing adulthood. And Willow should have an equally big role rather than just being a mentor there to pass the baton.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean the guy was in American Graffiti and also asked to direct Episode 1. So he’s pretty close to George I’d say.

17. Gerald's Game

Gerald's Game Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2017
    On the set of.......................................

[​IMG]

Tosche_Station likes this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    That would be wonderful! I love Willow. And yeah, a miniseries would also be welcome.

19. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Why would that be wonderful? If you love Willow (and I do like it too), why do you think making a sequel (or a miniseries or whatever) is a good thing?

I guess that's just me, but I don't want to see MORE of the things I like just for the sake of it. Unless there is a good reason (a good story) to justify it, I'd prefer that they would leave the movie as it is: a single story with a beginning and ending.

20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    It would be a good thing because it would be a different story set in the same universe.

You don't have to see more of it. If you don't think you'd like it, don't go and see it. Problem solved.

oierem likes this.
  21. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    /Film - ‘Willow’ Sequel is a “Lucasfilm Project,” Director Ron Howard Currently Not Involved

These were the post-Willow Claremont and Lucas novels from the 1990s that ShaneP mentioned, which I've even seen in bookstores recently for some reason.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  22. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Are those books in-continuity with the film?

23. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Ah, interesting to see there seems to be some traction here on this project.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I read Shadow Moon, didn't like it. It was nothing like Willow. IIRC, Willow wasn't even called Willow any more.

25. yodaman_reborn

Feb 7, 2009
    I’m thinking given Lucasfilm’s “course correction” any chance of a Willow sequel is likely gone.