main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 It's official Star Wars Celebration - April 11-15 2019 Chicago

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , May 16, 2018.

1. ThanksBates82

ThanksBates82 Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2003
    For reference, C2E2 attendance in 2017 was 80,000 and is annually held at the McCormick Place. I know Celebrations are typically larger, but its not like we are trying to fit the con into a place that is only used to 25K. I use C2E2 as an example, as its held at the same place, by the same company, and roughly the same size. In addition to holding the nations largest auto show, I'm not worried about space. There are far more ways for Reedpop to drop the ball.

2. jerejerebinks

jerejerebinks Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 24, 2017
    Right. Columbus, which is far smaller, (34th in size vs. 1st) holds the Arnold Expo each year. There were 310K there on Saturday this year. It was insanity on the show floor but no issues at all getting in.

3. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Pretty sure it's not. That's why I said earlier it covers the new tech part but not the new system part. They might have something else planned in addition to RFID (like a lottery similar to NYCC) or they might just be wording it that way so people don't start complaint about overnight queues a year out.

Has the capacity of the exhibit floor ever really been an issue for Celebration? Apart from the badly organised security on the first morning I thought the capacity issues only really related to the panels?

Sadly even McCormick won't completely solve the panel issue. You can have the main arena at 10k and overflows at another 10k+. You can lottery a percentage of seats in advance (50% at NYCC). Unless you lottery all seats (please God no!) then there will still be overnight queues, there will still be wristbands (or RFID now). There will always be more attendees than panel seats so there will always be someone who complains they couldn't get in. McCormick's size/larger panel area will be a BIG help and I think they will try everything they can to make it fair (or at least as fair as possible) but people have to accept they won't be able to do everything.

That's basically the golden rule of Celebration. Accept you can't do everything, don't try as it will just stress you out. Pick a few things and make a plan focusing on them, everything else is a bonus and just have a good time. The panels are amazing for sure, they have an energy that's totally infectious, but I have better memories of making friends in the over night line than I do of the actual Rogue One panel.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  4. ThanksBates82

ThanksBates82 Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2003
    I completely agree. I remember the line for the Lucas panels at C3 far more than I do the panel itself.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    The mention of new technology and procedures being implemented just seems like standard jargon they have to write. Especially after the way things went last year in certain respects. This way for any questions that came up they can easily just point to that and say "we're working on it".

Although I can see them do RFID on the badges just for entry and exit to the con. But not for lotteries or anything like that.

That's the golden rule of being at any major convention.

Amon_Amarth and ChrisLyne like this.
  6. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Ok, so I guess I'll be spending my 30th bday at Celebration. :D

Chicago in April is a bit of a surprise, weatherwise.

7. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    This is kind of a dumb question, but I have never been to anything like this, but do you have to camp out in lines for panels?

8. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    For the big ones, yes.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    They've used wristbands for the major panels, at least in the last London one I attended, but you had to get those at night . It was first come first served for more minor panels. If you want to get into one of those get in line fairly early.

10. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Actually Celebration is not larger than 80.000.
    According to starwars.com the number at the last one was "more than 70.000", and that was by far the largest one yet.
    https://www.starwars.com/news/thank-you-for-an-amazing-star-wars-celebration

11. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    It's hard to compare one con to another in regards to attendance because there's no norm in how they are calculated (and they typically don't report how they are calculated). Is it tickets sold or actual people in the venue? Is it a per day average or total? Are they counting a 3 or 4 day pass as one or as the number of days? Is it a turnstile count? If so, that's inflated by people leaving and returning. There's a lot of factors and a smaller con may be more inclined to use a method that boosts their numbers.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  12. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    Oh, wow. I had no idea lol.

13. Mr_Mundi

May 24, 2002
    ThanksBates82 say C2E2 is held by the same company as Celebration. I would expect a company to use the same way of calculating the number of attendance for both conventions they are organising.

14. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Maybe, but you're not going to convince me the same or more people go to C2E2 than go to Celebration.

15. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    It depends. For New York Comic Con they have a completely different and much stricter badge purchasing system. It requires individual registration and names on individual badges and whatnot. Which I imagine is then also reflected at the actual convention in that they likely have an RFID system in place where you have to scan your badge in order to enter or exit each time. And then that data would obviously get recorded. This is a scenario where attendance numbers can be heavily inflated.

Whereas Celebration doesn't have nearly as strict of a process for purchasing badges. And it would be impossible to keep track of how many people are coming and going throughout the day when the event takes place, since they don't do RFID scanning at each entry/exit point. Which makes it so that the attendance numbers are based solely on what badges have been purchased, not who is actually there in attendance. But how they calculate that is not our knowledge.

I don't really have an answer to your question. Just pointing out that there are drastic differences in the way ReedPop goes about each individual convention and you can't necessarily compare them.

16. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014
    As someone who's driven from Chicago to Orlando three times, and Chicago to Anaheim once, I don't doubt that Star Wars fans will travel for Celebration. I had many conversations with fans that flew in from overseas, too. But any franchise-specific con eliminates attendees who just aren't interested.

"Generic" cons have the benefit of covering so many bases, they can attract all kinds of fans. Marvel fans, DC fans, Anime fans, video game fans, cartoon fans, cosplay fans, sci-fi fans, people who might not even qualify as a "fan" but like The Avengers and there was nothing better to do on Saturday. Chicagoland has 9.5 million residents, and again, I talked to people at this past C2E2 that travelled for it.

If you like Star Wars, you'll find things to enjoy at C2E2. If you don't care about Star Wars, there's nothing for you at Celebration

17. Mr_Mundi

May 24, 2002
    I have never been to C2E2, so I don't know the numbers for that one, but I find it weird that they wouldn't put out the biggest number possible, and while they did say "more than 70.000", then I would say, that a difference in official numbers of about 10.000 is a fairly big number.

It would be great if the sheer size of the convention center makes 80.000 seem less crowded than 70.000.

18. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I haven't been to every Celebration, but Celebration 1 in Denver and Celebration 3 in Indianapolis taught me a very important lesson: prepare for any kind of weather, including snow and/or heavy rain.

19. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Hoth and Kamino themed!

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  20. KyloSpence

KyloSpence Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 25, 2016
    Forcechella 2: Electric Boogaloo. 4/9/19. Location:TBA. Come sing some
    Karaoke and have a few beverages as we kick off a great week. Event page forthcoming #fc2

ChrisLyne likes this.
  21. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Just saw this pop up on Facebook. Probably won't be able to make it as I'd only be landing that day but it sounds like a fun event to kick off with.

22. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Perhaps you could sing some karaoke at home, upload to YouTube and then post on here for us to see?

ChrisLyne likes this.
  23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I second that motion. In his Jedi robe.

@ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne likes this.
  24. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Haha, as long as you don't mind some Disney or musical theatre I might consider it [face_laugh]

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  25. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    We want the song Leia sings in the holiday special please.

Padme501st and ChrisLyne like this.