main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V The Last Jedi Marvel Comic Adaptation

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  2. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Does she look like Palpatine to anyone else?

3. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    I keep seeing Professor McGonagall in her face, myself. :p

4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Oh that art. My eyes! So drab and undetailed. This is one comic I will not be buying.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Drab is the work that came into my head too - it seems like the coloring is the problem! The art isn't popping the way I like comics to.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I am actually liking the art, and liking that in this preview alone, it all is info we did not see in the movie. I am hype for this comic. :)

redxavier likes this.
  7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Re: Issue #1 preview
    Interesting that Luke has to fight being cut off from the Force. I like that. Shame it wasn't mentioned in the movie.

BobaMatt likes this.
  8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    As far as comic adaptations of the movies go - this is pretty standard. I don't mind the art, maybe because the style reminds me of some (non Star Wars) books from when I was a small kid, so I got some nostalgia for artwork like this. The highlight from this issue in my opinion is the moment between Chewie and Luke. It's just one panel, but it's better than nothing. Seeing that in the comic, I think it's a real shame that we didn't get it in the movie.

[​IMG]

9. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Are those Imperial-class SDs on the cover?

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I really liked this issue. Whitta's adaptation changes some of the lines in interesting ways that make me interrogate the story further, and I think the art is pretty good overall.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Decent adaptation, one thing I noticed was Hux shaking his fist to fire on the Resistance panel is kind of similar to Hux shaking is fist to fire on the Resistance in the TFA comic adaptation, even though Hux hasn't done it in the movies yet anyway. But, yah, I kind of like the new stuff and it's fun to see where the cliffhangers land, in this case it was Leia's "And they did it" moment which seems as good a point as a cliffhanger as any.

DarthHass and Dagobahsystem like this.
  12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Just finished part 1 of the adaption today. I really enjoyed the new opening but would not trade it for the movie one.

Also, I like seeing Luke's reaction to finding out about Han, but again since he's cut himself off from the Force and has been fighting it based on the adapted opening, it makes sense that he wouldn't use it then, especially in anger and frustration.

And thinking about how we first saw Luke in the movie and the hope that is generated by "The Jedi Steps", I think it wasn't the best choice to use that again in TLJ. A variation of it played in a different key may have been better to give the audience a little hint that your hope is misplaced, at least at that point in the film.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Dagobahsystem likes this.
  13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    The Last Jedi #2 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    double post.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Damn, those last few panels. :(

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, the art was horrifyingly bad.

Oh wait, that wasn't what you meant?

Nobody145, vncredleader and Vialco like this.
  17. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I don't understand how some artists, in this modern age with so many advances in digital art, can produce such crude images. I mean compare that to something by Marco Checchetto or Giuseppe Camuncoli and the difference is astounding.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I like the art style cuz the artist draws tech and spaceships really well, and I think his framing is dynamic. I don't mind a bit o abstractness in the art.

19. jeykey

jeykey Jedi Master

Jun 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    "Only once before" is apparently just a point of view, and can mean any number of times...:p

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003

Comic spoilers

They took out a lot of the humor beats. (1) When Rose makes fun of herself about talking good. (2) When Maz is talking about the codebreaker. I guess it's hard showing her fawn longingly, but she does say "tell him Mazzy" says hi", implying their closeness or her fondness with a cute little nickname. (3) Also, the beat where Luke teases Rey with the leaf and feeling the Force. That's gone.

The caretakers also not shown when Rey shoots the hole in her hut. So I don't know if we'll see them at all or if we'll get lesson #3 in comic form from the deleted scenes.

Other changes: they added dialogue to the silent parts - Kylo and Leia, Leia in space, Rey and Kylo. Nothing really stood out other than Leia saying Hell No about dying. That one hit home. I did like that they showed what it might have looked like to Rey and Kylo when force talking, her drawn on the ship and him drawn on the island in her hut.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah the addition of seeing Rey and Kylo in their respective environments is a nice touch. Even though they shot it that way for the film, I can see the point in not having it happen on screen until they touch hands but this is a comic with multiple issues. Really cool to see it from their POV.

And I'll restate that I like the art cuz it's pretty abstract and sells things emotionally.

Oh and the addition of Luke saying Rey's finding a droid story was familiar was cool.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  23. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
  24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003

Comic spoilers

On the island:
    • Again, I really like the artists drawing Kylo on the island. I think if the movie did this once in a while instead of being artsy, it would have felt more real. Oh no, Kylo found them! No wait, it's a Force Skype call. Oh crap, he's there. Nope, Force Skype call again. It may have added some more tension and stakes in the movie, but I digress.
    • I do like the narrating of Luke inside his head while Rey trains herself. We didn't get enough of the inner turmoil of Luke in the movie so this is definitely welcome.
    • I really like the Luke / Leia moment when they show him beginning to regret his decision(s) of leaving his friends behind and Leia in the med bay and the Force reaching out to Luke yet again, calling him to action.
    • The issue ends with Luke stopping Rey and Kylo touching hands.
    Oh there's also the Canto Bight stuff in this issue and the destruction of the Medical Frigate. Godspeed, Rebels!

Anyone else reading this?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I'm waiting for all the issues to be published and then read it in one go.

TiniTinyTony likes this.