main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Women's Football/Soccer - Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Jun 8, 2015.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Dispersal draft for Boston was at the end of January - Washington gets Rose Lavelle, Sky Blue gets McCaskill.

Looking back at the 2018 draft, with the additional of SM, Sky Blue got the #2, #4, #5, #6, and #13 picks, and Carli. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. They've got a stellar keeper (Casey Murphy, the 13th pick and starter for USW U20s/U23s), loads of young talent, and the best mentor available.

As long as the club is managed properly, they're built for long-term success.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Watched USA vs. France yesterday. The backline looked terribly disorganized, and in constant need of better communication with each other and the keeper. The team was lucky that their unforced errors didn't result in a loss. Not sure if the 3-5-2 was experimental and causing some of the issues, or if the fact that some key veterans were missing from the squad was to blame. But it was troubling. luckily, there's a full year plus until the World Cup.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I've got it DVR'd, but I did watch the Germany game last week. Conditions were terrible and the play was slow, so it was hard to judge, but other than Rapinoe, Dahlkemper, and Pugh, the effort seemed lackluster.

Mallory's speed and nonstop motor leads to so many opportunities, when she starts pressuring casual passes and the opposing keeper. Abby's the best defender in the world, I think - she's improved so much in the last year and a half. Rapinoe's always on.

There are bright spots, but the whole picture's not there right now, I agree. Still don't like Ellis. And not sure why Press isn't starting, but she should be, always.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Speaking of playing conditions ... I'd really like to know who thought it was a good idea to book March tournament with the first two games in Columbus and New Jersey.

And yeah - Pugh looked fantastic. I think if the US is going to win a 4th star, she almost certainly has to win the Golden Ball at the World Cup.

heels1785 likes this.
  5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    [​IMG]

I love them both.

6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Christen Press has left the Houston Dash for the season, returned to Göteborg FC in Sweden where she played in 2012. Good move, I think - Houston's going nowhere fast, and many of the top USWNT talents like Carli and Alex have logged some overseas time recently with different clubs.

She'll be a cornerstone of US Women's Soccer for a long time, and if this helps progress her career in her prime, more power to her. Only potential letdown will be finding where on earth I can watch Göteborg FC games.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Had a chance to watch the replay of Utah-Orlando from a few days ago. Utah's struggled a lot as an expansion side, but they are really a well-built team. Physical defense and midfield that totally frustrated the elite Orlando attack.

Having Sauerbrunn and O'Hara as their cornerstones will help grow the young talent - neither are game-breakers, but they're both pretty consistent, and great leaders.

Laura Harvey is a great coach, with demonstrated success - she should be near the top of the list for consideration when the USWNT job opens up.

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Terrible look for the WPSL as the Columbus-Cincinnati Game ended in a forfeit, due to Cincinnati Sirens not providing an on-site athletic trainer, as stipulated in the rules. Women's sports have enough of an up-hill battle in this country, to miss out on a lower-division rivalry game because of missing out on something incredibly elementary? That's really bad.

Juliet316 and Slowpokeking like this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Not quite Western NY Flash playing on a mini-field bad, but a poor look.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I've been psuedo-following the Eagles as part of my "support local" soccer efforts, since there isn't an NPSL/NWSL team in Colorado and therefore I can default to Ohio for "local", and since Crew coverage lumps in some Eagles coverage, I default to them over the Cleveland Ambasadors. The NPSL isn't the highest quality, but the games are entertaining and the league structure actually makes sense! Lower budget, so play regionally with compact divisions that make sense and don't over tax the teams with travel. Plus, some awesome club names like the AAFC Lumberjills.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm having a feeling of Deja Vu

tom, Diggy and Juliet316 like this.
  14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm blaming heels.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You mean this:

[​IMG]

tom likes this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's always heels. Always.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Either heels or #RichieLogic or heels using #RichieLogic

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    hey we got some traffic in here, this is my chance

support the nwsl - all games are streamed free on their site

better than mls

which isn't saying a lot i know

but, #richielogic

Juliet316, Diggy , tom and 1 other person like this.
  19. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Ppl like me love to watch USWNT's matches, but not sure why can't raise too much interest in NSWL, other than a few playoff matches.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well I'm shocked.

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Christen Press to Utah Royals FC. Sitting at 4th in the league - Sauerbrunn anchoring the back line, a hopefully healthy O'Hara coordinating the attack, and the most talented American striker all together, playing for the strongest coach in NWSL.

Good times.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And I get to go to a Royals game next week during a business trip to SLC! Boom!

heels1785 likes this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That's awesome, Inty. Loads of current/up-and-coming USWNT talent on Sky Blue, as well.

Should be a fun game!

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Had to bail on the game at halftime because I need to be with a customer at like 6 am tomorrow. But, damn, Megan Rapinoe is so good at soccer. Just mesmerizing with and without the ball.

Denver needs a team. Or I need to move

heels1785 likes this.
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Happy Carli Lloyd Day, y'all.

On this day three years ago, she got three goals, and the USA got their third star

heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.