main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Well, for what it's worth. We know that Finn has a little bit of a connection to the force, as does Poe. So it's possible now for them to at least develop that. So we could say that Poe's force aptitude applies mostly to his skill as a pilot. As for Finn's, I still believe it applies to his abilities as a shooter/gunner, tactician/problem solver and could develop into his melee skills soon.

2. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    More and more I wonder if we're being set up for an expanded view of the force....and how it's used and related to. It would be something if Finn's use of the force is defensive...if that's why FO propaganda never worked on him....so many options.

Roosterq and RandomGreyJ like this.
  3. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    John Boyega: "I did say, when I've read [Episode IX], I will let people know. But nothing yet." "Because of the way The Last Jedi ended, I don't know what they could do now." "I just hope that – obviously JJ's in a space where creatively he's been able to create something exciting, as he always does. So I want it to be fun. Hopefully we get to find out more about the characters that they set up from VII." "And perhaps a shocking moment. Each trilogy has got to have that moment, right? So to have a shocking moment would be cool, too. But as of now, I don't know a thing." (May 18, 2018)

4. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I agree, we need a shocking moment....hmmm....Finn summoning a lightsaber to hand from one of the fallen KoR and dueling Kylo Ren to a standstill until Rey arrives. At which point Kylo Ren realizes he's lost....failed at accomplishing his goals...but decides if he's going down then he's going to take the Traitor and the Scavenger with him. What follows is the nastiest knock down fight in Star Wars history as Kylo Ren accepts his death...so long as he takes the two heroes with him....only to once again fail completely.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

Feels like some silent shots fired in there.

afrojedi likes this.
  6. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016

7. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    Fan edit and art of Finn with longer hair.
    I'm a fan of the short spikey look.

8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I don't expect it but it could be cool if at the end of Ep. 9 Finn tells Rey that he's going to back to his home planet, not with any real expectation of finding his family but more so to see where he came from and learn about his roots in a general sense.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  9. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
  10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    After watching Solo: A Star Wars story...I'd kind of love a sequence in the next film where Rey and Finn are preparing for a battle, both kind of chatting, showing off the depths of their relationship and how they've grown over the intervening time period...and gearing up. I'd love it if Finn was breaking down various captured FO and Empire Storm Trooper equipment and recombining it into custom gear for this mission as he and Rey talk. The camera wouldn't focus on what he's doing it's just part of the scenes natural flow. For example, you see Finn pull apart two standard storm trooper blaster rifles and turn them into dual wielded hand guns (Two in the stomach and one in the head makes all problems go away), then do the same for a F-11D heavy blaster, but turns that into a spread fire (Shotgun) style weapon....like a room sweeper he can easily carry (Comparable to an AA-12 auto shotgun) and finally he pulls apart a Riot Baton and fuses the gear with a bladed weapon, giving him a lethal cutting weapon that can stop a Lightsaber.

None of this is focused on as they talk...but all of it is stuff used during various action scenes later in film.

11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Part of the reason I was a big fan of a possible Stormtrooper Mutiny plotline being introduced in TLJ was because I've become enamored with the idea of seeing a vast array of Stormtroopers, but each one has splattered some kind of unique coloring scheme and atypical weapons load out on themselves, making the diametrically opposed to the Stormtrooper's uniform aesthetic

12. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    his new hair is dope. I hope they have a piece of dialogue in the movie that Finn finally found a black women in space to hook his hair up. =D=

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  13. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    He needs to keep that cut, it looks so great on him!

Also, Finn wearing glasses. . . . just imagine for a minute.

14. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Came here to post that same instagram photo. Looks like the implied time jump between VIII and IX will be at least a year into the future.

15. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    What if Finn's new hair is literally a fin?

16. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
    I want to see Finn, NOT get tazed in EP9. Is that asking too much?

Ren Kylo, MGM, Revanfan1 and 8 others like this.
  17. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I say, let Finn get tazed....have him knocked on his butt....have the other troopers laugh as they close in....then Finn opens his eyes, revealing he was faking and drops every single one of them in melee combat, after which he reveals that he let himself get tazed/stunned to bait the troopers closer because that makes it easier to take them all down without getting shot. Infact he used the fact they had him surrounded against the other troopers. Forcing them to hold fire or risk hitting their comrades. In the end, Finn stands tall and strips them of their gear before moving off on his mission. Have that be near the opening of Finns character arc in episode 9...establish that he's learned and gotten better....let the last laugh anyone has die in their throat as the upbeat Storm Troopers show that you don't have to be grim dark and brooding to be an effective warrior.

Spoilers for God of war 2018. Kratos tells his son about a Spartan, who Kratos admired. A man that never lost his positive upbeat outlook despite all the war, death and grim battles they faced. That Spartan kept them going when times were their darkest and that should be an aspect of Finn in episode 9. Have people take heart and inspiration not just from someone using the force...but from a defiant storm trooper that refuses to give into despair.

Sgt. Carver likes this.
  18. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    I really don't want another infiltration misson and I don't care for a stormtrooper rebellion because I don't really care for this conflict at all.

I just want Finn to do cool things like fly a space ship and fight in an actual duel. Set him up for something 6-7 years down the line and I'd be happy. John never got his chance to really shine in star wars.

Whatever JJ does, I hope it's so absolutely badass and so starkly different from what Rian gave us that the guy feels physically uncomfortable watching it in the theater.

I absolutely hate those space horses...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

19. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Whatever they are going to do with Finn has to happen in Episode 9. Trying to set him up for later glory is too big a risk since they are CLEARLY planning to move on what with RJ and the GOT crew crafting new movies.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  20. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I say give the man the same staff he used against Phasma in TLJ. It suits him a lot and offers really interesting possibilities.

Heck, if there is someone who dies in TLJ that I would bring back for IX is Phasma. Just in order to see a rematch between the two of them.

21. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    Yeah I'm just trying to figure out where this character's future is headed. It's a given that Disney will return to the saga stories, once Rian and D & D finish their respective films. I expect John and co to be invited back as LF has talked about revisiting Rey and Finn. Thus I'd expect Finn to find some type of greater purpose that will carrie him past episode 9.

I don't doubt JJ will have Finn play a crucial role in the final conflict but right now I can't see him doing anything other than simply leading in the war, be that on the ground or in space. But hey maybe that greater purpose really will be simply to serve the Republic as a general, even after the events of 9. If that's all there is to it then so be it....
    Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

22. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I don't think that is a given at all. Kennedy already talked about how George saw the Skywalker Saga ending at 9...and right now it looks like they're going to honor that concept. Rey, Finn and Poe might pop up in animated series and novels...but as far as the big screen goes...I think Episode 9 is going to be it for them...then Disney/LFL moves onto new characters and places within the Star wars Universe.

23. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Would be completely pointless. He got the upper hand over Phasma in both TFA and TLJ. Lucasfilm absolutely refuses to give Phasma any character depth so I say it's best to keep her dead.

24. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I wouldn't mind a Finn vs Phasma rematch, but only if it's shorter than the previous one.

ex : Finn is rushing towards something. Suddenly, Phasma appear out of nowhere, blocking Finn's way.
    Finn goes "I don't have time for this", shoot at a crate or sommething, which falls on Phasma.
    End of the encounter.

In a "Finn is FS" scenario, the shot would be particulary hard to make. Afterwards, Finn would have a brief moment of disbelief when realizing his own prowess.

This would serve as a foreshadowing before the actual reveal.

Anything longer than that would be pointless. Worse, it would indicate a regression in Finn.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  25. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    They could still honor that given none of the main protagonists in the ST are Skywalkers. The problem in my opinion is that they've yet to set them up in a way to generate excitement in the way Luke, Leia and Han came out of ESB and RotJ. This to me is the 2nd biggest disappointment with the ST, the first was squandering the opportunity to see the original three again after 30 years. Filmmakers usually have to recast or use CGI to recreate what was given to LFL on a silver platter, in two of these movies--now it's gone forever.

11-4D, KnightStorm and dragonchic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.