main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Solo: A Star Wars Story Novelization

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Outsourced, May 27, 2018.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

Board the
    Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy in this thrilling novelization of Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, a young Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.

Mur Lafferty is a writer, podcast producer, gamer, geek, and martial artist. She is the host of the award-winning podcast I Should Be Writing and the Angry Robot Book podcast. She is the winner of the 2013 John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer. She loves to run, practice kung fu (Northern Shaolin Five Animals Style), play Skyrim and Fallout 3, and hang out with her fabulously geeky husband and their eleven-year-old daughter.

Amazon Listing

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    DarthJaceus and MrDarth0 like this.
  2. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Oh hey, Mur Lafferty wrote the Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes story in From a Certain Point of View. She also wrote a Rogue One and Catalyst tie-in story for Insider magazine that was reprinted in this Del Rey sampler, which is free on Kindle, for anyone who'd like to sample her writing.

DarthJaceus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  3. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    So, we have to wait roughly a year before getting the novelization?

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. DarthSienna

DarthSienna Jedi Master star 1

May 27, 2011
    A year for the paperback. If you click on the hardcover version, it arrives in early September 2018 (probably around the same time as the home media release).

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The junior novelization is out at the same time.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not seeing the benefits of this strategy.

Generally, the people who buy a novelisation will also see the film, it's not that one format whacks another, so why wait to the degree they're doing?

7. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Likewise. WTF mates?

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Remember when we used to get the novelization and a comic adaptation at about the same time when the movie came out? Ah, the good old days. Now, who cares when something Solo related comes out months later? I-) Unfortunately that seems to be the trend they're following these days (has the TLJ comic even started yet?). I'm not sure why, its not even one of the big sequels so spoilers shouldn't be as big a deal.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but the art seems to be trying to compete with the main title for the prize of being awful.

10. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Skyrim and Fallout 3? Are we in 2011 still?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Last year's Skyrim remaster gave that game a huge boost.

12. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Well I guess that answers that question.

Also...its an author bio. They can write anything they want. You could say you spend your time jamming on your Atari 2600.

AV-6R7 and Daneira like this.
  13. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    I like the later release strategy for novelizations. It lets the author write based on the final (or at least later) version of the film instead of just the script and minimizes contradictions between the two. Jason Fry has mentioned a few things he changed after watching The Last Jedi because the way he read a scene was different than the way it came out on screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manuel Bothans and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    @DarthInternous is this going to be an “expanded edition” like the TLJ novelization was?

15. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    More. Val. Please. Thank you.

Sinrebirth and spicer like this.
  16. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Yea I prefer this strategy. I did ask in the main A&A about how del Rey thought it went with TLJ and with Jason saying that it enabled him to alter a few scenes I guess that answers that question too!

I expect Tag and Bink in this book as they are going to be in a deleted scene

17. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    Odd that there's an Amazon UK listing, but not one on Amazon US.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  18. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah and it's winning.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Looking forward to the movie novelization. thought that we would not get one. So the tradition of a book for a movie continues with Han Solo. Good very good. Now the movie just has to make at least $200 million domestic.

20. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I'm sure that getting the Solo novelization out the door by the 25th would have been a challenge, considering post-production only ended a week before the red carpet premier.

21. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Not seeing a US solicitation...and the 30th is tomorrow. Anyone find it?

Also...even though I enjoyed the movie a good deal, I'm not excited about this book. I usually look forward to the SWW novelizations too.

Not sure why this is. My best explanation is that this story, while well told and executed, isn't particularly inspiring or exciting.

I think the timing and marketing was off as well. A combination of those things is what accounts for the box office numbers. It didn't excited movie-goers. None of the weird SJW accusations or Disney/Kennedy ruining Star Wars rediculousness.

I watched a YouTube review about the Pan Sexual thing...claiming it's promoting sex with anything, including children. The rant went on.

Is that intentional lying or extremely lazy research? A simple Google search clears that up.

But this is the world we live in.

Anyway...I'm going g off on a rant. I was trying to explain how a movie could be good and yet still feel...boring and uninspired at the same time.

What more insight could this novelization provide? There's not much more I feel I need or want to know. The only area of intrigue and mystery is the Crimson Dawn stuff. And maybe there will be some more about that. But it will also have to remain a mystery for the payoff of the reveal.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    !? OK yeah, that does change the picture - no one's that fast!

23. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Looks like it's coming out September 4th in the US.

24. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    30 May 2019 for the paperback.

StarWars.com updated their Solo books and comics page with more titles; it also states 4 September 2018 for the hardcover.

Sinrebirth and Stymi like this.
  25. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Jedibibliothek recently updated their site with a listing for the Barnes and Nobles edition of this book. It reads Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition. Just like the TLJ novelization was the "Expanded Edition" Interesting.[face_thinking]

Sinrebirth likes this.