main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Star Wars Celebration 2019 Hotels

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , May 16, 2018.

1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I think issue between the two was that the hotels in Chicago are much more spread out. Or at the very least seem much more spread out where there is the need for more public transportation or walking. In Orlando most of the hotels were a 10 minute walk away or had a shuttle.

2. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    This is the Jawa, yes, my husband is from Chicago, he showed me where he grew up, about a dozen blocks from McCormick Place, this is how I see it. Chicago is a much older city than Orlando and L.A. things are a little more modern and close together in these cities. the city planning for Chicago was different also than the coast cities. What my husband was saying, is you better watch yourself carefully, muggings and robberies do occur in the areas he described. esp. if a big event is occurring in the McCormick area. I called onPeak and they said shuttle service would probably be provided for to and from the Cele. lets hope so! I'm really hoping to get a room at the Hyatt Regency for convenience and safety sake. I stayed with my sister-in-law for a couple months in Chicago several years ago and it was not pleasant.! you have your good neighborhoods and bad ones,. But, please, for everyone's safety, take some sort of transportation to and from the Cele. do not wear costumes when on the streets! do not walk alone on the public streets! be carefull around the convention center area too! I will be doing all these, but I won't be wandering around the city, under no circumstances after dark! Both of us just want everyone to be safe and have a VERY GOOD time!

3. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Well, enough of that, lets try to get pumped up about this Celebration! Who will be ready on the 5th?

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    @j-jawa3:

I appreciate your willingness to provide us with caution since this is something you obviously know about. And anything you have said about this will certainly be taken into consideration by anybody who reads your posts. I don't want you to think anybody is trying to negate what you have to say. But at the same I do think it's important to consider other angles and different perspectives on it. And that's all we're doing in this discussion. Feel free to offer any more advice you would like.

But I agree, let's just start looking forward to Celebration!

5. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    thank you for your consideration! we fans are a family and need to take care of each other at Cele. time. When I go ,I have agreed with my husband to take caution in the area. I'm sure there will be police and security on the premises, but one must use the "force' of extra awareness when visiting some places. example, watch where you put your money and cards! consider bringing a whistle with you too and most of all...…. wear comfortable SHOES!

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  6. OliffWanKenobi

OliffWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    We'd really like to go, the chat in here about the lack of hotels right by the convention centre has me worried and I don't think I'd want to rely on last minute cancellations - i like to have things planned! So I think we'd probably stay in the Loop area, we've stayed there before and really liked it. I know the L train green line has been mentioned a lot, but looking at the map I can see the millennium/South Shore Line station for McCormick Place is right at the convention centre, wondered why nobody has mentioned it? Is the L safer?

7. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    When do hotel reservations go up?

8. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    June 5th at 12pm Central Time. Same for tickets.

Gamma626 likes this.
  9. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Oh boy that'll be an expensive day. Ok, thanks!

10. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, you won't be charged for your hotel then.

Does anyone who's done their homework have, say, a top 5 hotel list? I'm sure the Hyatt is 1 and the Marriott is 2, but I'm just wondering what you guys are liking as a backup plan?

11. Rox

Nov 24, 2000

12. OliffWanKenobi

OliffWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    I'll be interested to see if there are any hotels in the Loop when the hotel blocks go up on the 5th June

13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I would guess yes, but who knows? I wish they would give us the hotel info ahead of time, but I don't think they will.

OliffWanKenobi likes this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Same. I want to know what kind of rooms are being offered, the rate, and at which hotel. That way when they go live I can just select it and book it real quick. Instead of having to see what is available and compare rates and do all that stuff right on the spot.

15. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Same, I was kind of hoping something might leak early.

16. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I don't think that's something that would leak. They may or may not reveal the info ahead of time, but I don't think it will leak.

17. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Site is up. I don't see any specific hotel info.

18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I guess it just wasn't really an issue before, because at the two Celebrations I've gone to they were in locations that had a lot of hotels close by, so I didn't really stress about it either way, figuring I'd at least come up with something regardless.

But now is different, there are very few hotels close by, and I'm concerned about not knowing ahead of time what to look for and losing out on something when the site goes live. But I guess I can't really complain, everyone else is in the same boat too.

Does anyone remember if you were able to browse the OnPeak site ahead of it going live? What did they do in the past with hotel information? Did it come ahead of time?

19. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Edit: posted in wrong thread.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  20. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I was trying to poke around the Onpeak site today and update my credit card info but couldn’t figure out how. Anyone had luck with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    The tickets and hotels going live at the same time is going to be chaos. Especially if we are blind on the hotel info going in.

22. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I’m going for my hotel first for sure with the limited close hotels. I’m not going for VIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014
    I would almost guarantee the hotels are going to be in the South Loop. 10 minute shuttle bus. There's a Travelodge, Hilton, Congress, Blackstone, Essex Inn all within spitting distance of each other.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  24. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    I'm going for the Hyatt by the Con. center for convenience and safety, we will be ready!

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    One thing to think about is that I think we are going to see a lot of hotel room shuffles after Tuesday, so even if you didn't get a room with OnPeak it will be worth to keep an eye out on booking sites Tues/Wed. There are a lot of people who had made reservations just in case, and then if they get rooms through onpeak will cancel their first reservations.

ChrisLyne likes this.