main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Deluxe Smuggler’s Guide by Dan Wallace

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sith Iratus, May 31, 2018.

1. Sith Iratus

Sith Iratus Jedi Master

Nov 24, 2012
    Spotted this yesterday via twitter then the official site
    https://www.starwars.com/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-books-are-here-and-more-are-on-the-way

Star Wars: Deluxe Smuggler’s Guide
    by Dan Wallace
    On Sale: October 2018

Recovered from a strong box on the Millennium Falcon, The Smuggler’s Guide traces its own extraordinary journey through such notorious characters as Maz Kanta, Hondo Ohnaka, Lando Calrissian, and Han Solo. Explore previously unknown details about the underhanded dealings of the galaxy’s underworld. What secrets will you discover in these storied pages?

2. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I've always loved the criminal underworld aspect of Star Wars, and I love these in-universe guidebooks (still need to read Rebel Files though), so I can't wait for this!

3. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Rebel Files was a lot of fun, so I'm happy Dan's doing more of these.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  4. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I love this series of books. Glad to see more in the pipeline.

Senate Guidebook next, please?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

5. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Ooh, the box can be shaped like debris from Hosnian Prime! [face_laugh]

Back on topic, loved the Rebel Files, very excited for this!

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, another insta-purchase. [insert standard gif of Futurama's Fry doing his thing]

7. Ventrix

Ventrix Jedi Master star 1

May 28, 2014
    Clone Wars Guidebook, anyone?

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'll probably pick up the standard version when it comes out. I have Rebel Files but haven't read it yet.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Part of me is like woooooooooooooh!

The other part of me is like, Star Wars is one of the only (the only?) franchise out there that makes heroes and light-hearted fun of smugglers. We're probably all on some sort of government watch list for even posting in a thread with a URL that includes the term "Smuggler's Guide".

TK-421 Is vader and jSarek like this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's plenty of sympathetic smugglers in standalone stories (Moonfleet, for example) - not so much large franchises though.

11. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Smugglers have a long history of being depicted as heroic, from the days when they undermined the heavy British markup on goods in the American Colonies, to the days when your friendly neighborhood bootlegger was how you were getting booze in the midst of Prohibition. The same year that Star Wars gave us Han Solo, Smokey and the Bandit had Burt Reynolds smuggling beer across the United States. And after Star Wars, other franchises capitalized on the popularity of the heroic space smuggler idea, with Firefly being the one that leaps most immediately to mind. Even Star Trek had Quark on Deep Space Nine, who perhaps wasn't primarily a smuggler, but more than once orchestrated the movement of illegal goods from one place to another.

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, anything that is written by Dan Wallace is an instant purchase for me. Done and done! :D

--Adm. Nick

13. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Heck if you want to stretch “smuggler” to include “criminal in general”, the whole “scoundrel with a heart of gold” trope is everywhere in fiction. Heroic medieval outlaws in Robin Hood. Heroic pirates in POTC. Heroic car thieves in Fast and the Furious. This is far older than Star Wars, and by no means exclusive to it.

Sarge and jSarek like this.
  14. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Firefly is probably the most noteworthy one that features that kind of thing, and with a lot more specific focus than SW in general.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  15. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I don’t have history with Wallace’s other books. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I am curious which characters beyond those names will be in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, it's very nice to see this series still in motion. Smugglers are bad people, but that's OK -- the series is still very fun.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    They've covered Jedi, Sith, Bounty Hunters (and Mandos), the Empire and the Rebels. Smugglers are pretty much all the only group left (besides senators).

18. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Slicers?

...which, if it were to happen, would pretty much make me the happiest fan in the galaxy. Just saying.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not complaining about the focus. The bounty hunter book had a similar issue for me, but they had to cover it.

20. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    I'm just a little worried they're going to run out of subjects. Now they've pretty much covered the occupations of all the main and popular characters. Pilots are already mostly covered in the Imperial and Rebels books, but I can still see them going there if they keep going. I just don't know how exciting it would be. Slicers might be getting into the weeds. Senators even seem a little niche, but Padmé, Leia, Mon Mothma, Bail and Papa Palpatine are big enough characters to be hooks. Clones would just be the Imperial Handbook but a little bit different. Droids? Would R2's notes in the margins be beeps? Hutts? Probably not until Rian Johnson's trilogy. An alien identification handbook might be cool, but is that straying from the idea of the series?

21. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    What about clones? You could do a clone trooper manual with inserts from various famous clones like Rex or Echo plus an occasional paragraph from a Jedi or Kaminoan.

jedisor likes this.
  22. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Expect lots of in-universe documents explaining history/facts about smuggling, with little "hand written" notes from the main characters, and plenty of Legends Easter Eggs.

23. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    A failed television series that ended after less than a season "is probably the most noteworthy" example to bring up after someone has already mentioned Robin Hood?

24. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    They could still do Republic and Separatist ones too don't forget.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The slicing one would be cool because maybe then I would finally understand how the holonet actually works.

I'd love a pilot one, maybe include all those things that the Imperial Space Ministry and the Bureau of Ships and Services gives you from the Platt's Starport Guide/Smuggler's Guide. A TIE Pilot book would be really cool, too.

Tython Awakening and Sarge like this.