main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars: SOLO - Spoilers-Allowed Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Discussion thread for Solo. Untagged spoilers ahead! You've been warned!

[​IMG]

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Woo-hoo!

So...one thing that totally made me go LOLWUT...

...MAUL.

Kahara, jcgoble3, Lady_Misty and 2 others like this.
  3. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I haven't seen the movie, and I don't think I will...unless someone tells me Jarik makes an appearance?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Nope, @Tarsier, he was not in it. Actually, the whole Solo family name is more a nome de plume. We never come to know Han´s real family name. He says he is "alone"/ "on his own", when applying for the Imperial Academy.

5. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I think I have only one comment to that: metoo. I was surprised, and not very happy, by that appearance. I have nothing against Maul, but in my opinion his appearance didn't fit well with the rest of the plot.

6. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    It's going to be a minute before I get to see this movie. Would someone be willing to share the Maul piece? Was it a cameo, like he walked in/out of frame or did he actually have an effect on the plot. And...why??

7. cookeycat

cookeycat Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2016
    can someone explain why the Pykes always have to suffer? i have been waiting to see Quay since january.
    im so angry because of this film. i literally shaking and feel sick. and oml i hate kira even more than asoka, which was my top hated chara of all times.

yes, i am grateful that I saw the Pykes in live action. and got to hear how their language sounds. I loved them even though they had a completely different design, not "like in tcw". but they had so few footage. im very dissapointed.
    i wanted to see this movie only because of the Pykes. /foreversad

8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Listened to a fully-spoilered movie review on Youtube as I had no plans to see this.

If it flops, happy to have contributed.

The Maul thing sounded interesting, but then the reviewer said he did not know how to take that, as the film does not make clear when it is set. To be honest, it didn't matter before, but with Maul's appearance, Solo could be set just as easily before The Phantom Menace when the Sith apprentice is still whole, as after, when he's been checked out of the medcentre, done his physio, and back to work on light duties.

Edit: The reviewer did say something about a Star Destroyer and TIE fighters, so it probably is after!

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  9. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Maul is after, since he has obviously cybernetic leg replacements, and was, to me, the one big disappointment of the whole movie. The rest was really good (much better than I feared), and OMG! LANDO!!!! Donald Glover NAILED it! I don't think Billy Dee himself could have done a better job.

Also, the Emperor is in power, and the Empire is recruiting. So def after, which makes Maul's cameo all the more disappointing (to me).

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  10. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    I enjoyed the movie, but Maul's cameo was a bit surprising, if only because of the type of movie this is and the potential continuity lockout for casual audiences. Granted, Maul does have previous experience with running in the criminal underworld, but it's also surprising to see him trying again after his run with the Shadow Collective was short lived (maybe he learned a bit from his previous mistakes by always running things from the shadows, but by Rebels, Sidious finds him out again and dissolves the Crimson Dawn).

Still, as interesting as it was, I think it was unnecessary as far as Han's story is concerned (as there's almost no way they'd be able to meet directly without Maul trying to "enlighten" Han, unless it's also part of how he develops his skepticism about the Force), and only serves the purpose of possibly hinting at him being in another Anthology movie ala the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

On a side note, I wonder if they're going to have an explanation for the Pykes here looking a little different from their animated depiction (presuming that all of the guards on Kessel are Pykes too), like how the first live-action Kyuzo looks drastically different from Embo.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Kahara likes this.
  11. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I really liked it.

Not sure what to make of Han getting his last name because he didn't remember or share it but it was kinda amusing. I am curious because the guy asked about Han's tribe or clan.

I was touched that one reason Han is so attached to the Falcon is it reminds him of his Dad (I'm not crying you are!). :_)

I did like how they subverted our expectations with Han losing his first game with Lando but came back for a rematch. Now a bigger question: did Lando cheat in that Rebels episode. Hm.

I can see why Han is leery of people seeing how many times he's been hurt and double crossed.

Hubby actually asked me if that was Darth Maul and I said 'yup'. I thought he was Sidious at first but something didn't add up then he took his hood off and stood up and I said to myself 'Maul'.

If he was claiming to be part of the Empire it makes sense why it fell apart. Sooner or later someone in Crimson Sun would be caught by the Empire and claim to be helping them but things don't add up and it all comes crashing down.

Going to post this before my phone decides to delete it; again.

Sent from my Rebel Base using Tapatalk

Okay, back home.

I liked how Han met Chewie and it was a riot Han speaking the Wookiee language and the only time we’ve gotten subtitles for it.

I really liked L3 and was sad to see her go the way she did.

I liked how they showed the Kessel Run and the Maw (better than a buncha black holes).

And finally some known species are back! Twi’leks and one Zabrak!

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  12. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I liked the movie. For the last three Star Wars movies I didn't feel any connection with the characters, but I did in this movie...and I am not just talking about the OT characters. I told my son it is my 4th favorite SW movie after the OT.

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Yes, to all of this.

Kahara, Voltron64 and Lady_Misty like this.
  14. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    It's funny that we got to see Rebels Maul on the big screen, since he's a main character in my fanfic. Seeing that visual will help me write him better in my upcoming stories.

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    My brother and I had nothing to do this afternoon so we went and saw it. I looked at reviews and they seemed to confirm my predictions (fun, but kinda pointless in terms of story). After watching it, I found myself enjoying more than I thought I would, but I still found myself agreeing with my predictions and reviews I've read.

It was entertaining, but knowing much of the outcome didn't make me invested in the story (we all knew Han, Lando, Chewie and the Falcon all survived). I'm sorry but Alden Ehrenreich is talented, but no Harrison Ford. I tried to give him a chance but so much of Solo is Ford that it just didn't work.

Donald Glover as Lando truly nailed it though. As soon as he started speaking I thought, why isn't this a LANDO FILM!! Highlight for me.

L3 was great, as were the visuals for the Kessel run and the Maw (loved the use of it).

I got spoiled for the Maul cameo. Kinda doesn't surprise me at this point. His survival has been so shoehorned in, even pre-Disney, that having him finally in a movie seems like it was going to be the next step.

Overall: fun, safe, entertaining, but not the spin off tale I ever wanted or needed.

16. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I thought the movie was fantastic. It was a fun and relatively optimistic introduction to the character of Han Solo. I thought meeting Chewbacca, the Kessel Run, and winning the Falcon were perfect editions in this first installment. Even though Han had an oddly positive outlook after years as a pickpocket and years in ground combat, I still felt that the essence of the character showed through. We get the cockiness. we get the riskiness. we get the bravado. Yet we have not met the stoic, seasoned, and even somewhat bitter, Han Solo introduced in A New Hope. It does make me wonder what trials he will yet face that will harden him.

There's so much to love about this movie but I think my favorite scene was Han and Chewy's first meeting. Han speaking sri_wook(? )was just plain perfect.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  17. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Here is a funny review of the movie.

18. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    *snaps fingers* Nuts, I was thinking about sharing it!

I thought it was funny how at first he was angry at how his Father got his last name and that it was just some random officer at a Recruitment Center then he changed his mind and decided that it was great because his last name came from the Empire.

Kahara, brodiew and Jedi_Lover like this.
  19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I just saw it today and I loved it! Legit lost count of how many fist pumps I did before we were five minutes in. I still can't quit smiling. Eherenrich and Glover both nailed it. And I so want this one when it comes out on DVD.

20. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    Loved everything about the movie. I tried explaining to people as a movie set in the star wars universe but not really a Star Wars movie. All the elements casual fans like are mentioned in passing but not huge parts of the movie. The Empire is almost an after thought. No jedi, no force, it is just a heist movie set in the world George created

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Gonna watch that and, until then...two things I need to throw out there before I've forgotten them.

1. I do not want, I repeat, I DO NOT WANT Corellia to be retconned to a 100% lame industrial world. Please, don't!

2. I remember there have been a discussion, in the pet peeves thread I believe, about the use of the word "babe" in the GFFA. It was most certainly used in this film.

jcgoble3 and Kahara like this.
  22. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Me, either. Although we only saw one part of it, and canon did say that Corellia was a major center for shipbuilding. Look at it this way: Lady Proxima's gang of kids were stealing money and jewels from SOMEBODY... so there must be a much nicer area that we didn't see.

And I gotta say... Star Wars names are sort of dumb sometimes, but I really hated 'Proxima.' C'mon, Kasdan, you're supposed to be a pro!

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Don't they have Saberhing as a legit shipyard?

Somebody tweet Pablo or Jason! This is serious business.

Kahara likes this.
  24. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    This is quite funny and I got a big kick out it. However, in jest, it struck a cord when Kylo mentions that fact that Han starts out a happy, loving guy only to turn bitter and then be reminded that what it's liked to love and be loved. I don't see the negative aspect here. How many people in life are turned bitter by betrayal, grief, and more only to be pulled out of it down the road. In fact, I think this would be crucial to the Han character, to see how he lost his hope. We already know he get's it back.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Kahara, Lady_Misty and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    This is quite funny and I got a big kick out it. However, in jest, it struck a cord when it Kylo mentions that fact that Han starts out a happy, loving guy only to turn bitter only be reminded that what it's liked to love and be loved. I don't see the negative aspect here. How many people in life are turned bitter betrayal, grief, and more only to be pulled out it down the road. In fact, I think this would be crucial to the Han character, to see how he lost his hope. We already know he get's back.

Mistress_Renata likes this.