main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Celebration Chicago Appearances and Signings

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by MotivateR5D4, May 28, 2018.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    With the release of Solo and the arrival of a whole new cast of Star Wars characters, there is bound to be speculation on which of them will appear at Star Wars Celebration 2019. A lot of those actors are in very high demand in other capacities, so it will be interesting to see which ones end up appearing.

And then obviously we have the ongoing ST that we can all continue to wonder if our new trio of heroes will make appearances and/or do signings. Boyega was at a major convention earlier this year, and usually actors do conventions in tours, so it's possible he can continue to do so at Celebration Chicago. Maybe to really amp up the conclusion of the ST, they might have them do signings. Especially given much of the present uncertainty surrounding the ST by a lot of the fan base. It could really go a long way if so much of the fan base is able to have that personal interaction with them. You can also make a case that now would be the best time for this cast to do signings. Because once the ST is finished, it will be kind old news by the time the next Celebration happens, so the signings really wouldn't be a big deal then. The timing is perfect for it to happen in 2019, so we'll see what happens.

Lucasfilm Animation just celebrated their 10 year anniversary, so it's likely that a lot of the actors from both the Clone Wars and Rebels series' will make appearances. We'll also likely have the introduction of the Star Wars Resistance cast, who might also do signings by that point as well.

And then of course there is much speculation to be had on which of the old school Star Wars actors will make appearances and do signings. And by old school I mean both the OT and PT. What long awaited surprise actor who has never made an appearance at Celebration will do so at Chicago? I'd sure like to get my Turbo Man doll signed!

I think my next must get autograph is Ian McDiarmid. My first was Mark Hamill in 2017, so Ian seems like the next logical one to get in terms of the big name SW actors. I'm also hoping for a lot of the Rogue One actors to come back. That movie means a lot to me. But unfortunately I'm wondering if I might have missed the boat on that since the majority of them were already at Orlando. I just didn't want to spend all my time then getting their autographs, especially since I was already getting Mark and that was my main priority which was already going to take up enough time, so I left it that. But also with Celebration 2019 being a five day con, I can spread out my autograph getting this time and get a few more. I imagine many other people will see it the same way, so it will be an opportunity for a lot of fans to collect a good amount of SW autographs they've been wanting to get.

Anyways, now that Solo is out, I figure this deserves its own thread as we count down the months until Celebration 2019 and continue to speculate about it. This is mainly for signings and other type of non-panel appearances. We can do a panel thread later on.

So let's hear which actors you want to appear and who your saving up for!

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would love it if Alden appeared.

Gamma626 likes this.
  3. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I would think there's a good chance.

I'll be a little surprised if the Rogue One gang is back. I just feel like Felicity was a one time thing, so I'm glad I got her. Just a hunch though. I could be wrong. Someone like Tudyk who does a bunch of cons could be a possibility.

Hopefully Mark comes back for those who haven't seen him yet. I don't think he's done or has scheduled any cons since TLJ came out. May depend on if he's in IX or not.

I think there's a chance for the ST cast. I knew there wasn't a chance for Orlando. It's hard to say though.

The PT actors are tough. I just don't see Ewan, Natalie or SLJ signing. It would probably be the usual group of (hopefully) Hayden, Park, McDiarmid, Morrison, Logan and Matthew Wood.

The ones I want that I don't have (of ones I think there's any chance):
    Daisy
    Boyega
    Glover
    Ehrenreich
    Bettany
    Isaac
    Newton
    Daniels
    Mayhew
    Suatamo
    Rash

Just for reference, I have Hamill, Felicity, Hayden, Tudyk, BDW, McDiarmid, Bulloch, Julian Glover, Ekstein, Greg Grunberg and David Tennant (wouldn't do Celebration, but he was in Clone Wars).

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  4. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    For panel appearances I'd say the IX and Resistance casts are pretty much guaranteed. Maybe live action series cast as well.

For signings - OT and PT regulars (hopefully Hayden again) & Resistance cast are almost certainly locks. ST cast maybe since this is really the last Celebration where they will be the focus. Hopefully the Solo leads and maybe some Rogue One cast, but dependant on the casts' schedules. Same for Clone Wars and Rebels cast.

5. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    It seems like the general rule with convention appearances, particularly signings (as opposed to panel appearances where all are possible), is 'how busy and successful is that actor's career at that moment?' If an actor has a good workload or many projects lined up, they simply won't have time, or in some cases the inclination, to go to a convention. It will be interested to see if there are appearances stipulated in the contracts.

As Chris says, the IX cast are almost a certainty, as are the Resistance cast. Favreau is pretty likely too.

6. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Favreau I assume will still be in post production on Lion King, but it's possible he gets away for a panel. I don't think there will be much to say about the live action series at that point though.

7. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Depends when they’re planning on launching it. Assuming it launches with the streaming service (it’s already half written) then it will air next year. Favreau is already in post with Lion King with over a year to go to release, he should easily be able to fit in the pilot episode (assuming he even directs it) and a Celebration preview/premiere.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  8. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I think you're underestimating the undertaking of post production for something like TLK. It's possible though if he's not that hands on with the tv show that things could get moving faster. I don't know what his process is. Some people like Chris Nolan are very much one project at a time while others can juggle and delegate a bit.

9. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I would LOVE to see Alden at Celebration. I do hope the prices are... normal. The official Star Wars site has some autographs up, and they're a bit ridiculous for one person lol. As nice as it'd be to meet Daisy or Adam, 400 bucks a person is a bit out there.

10. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    It's hard to say what Alden would be since he's the lead in a Star Wars film, but hasn't done much else. I'd guess $150 or so. Daisy would probably be $250. Boyega has already done one con at $200. I don't see Driver signing. He's never been to Celebration and just seemed uncomfortable at SDCC.

Dewback likes this.
  11. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Yeah Adam has been very open with his social anxiety. I don't see him coming.

$200ish isn't too outrageous for the main ST cast. We'll see how it all shakes out.

12. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I don’t see Daisy being cheaper than $300. All her signings have been at least that much.

Also it’s reported that this Celebration will be Jeremy Bulloch’s last con appearance that they know of so if you don’t have him already, this is your last chance. He is supposed to come to my town in a month so I’m getting him then, as well as Ian so I don’t have to brave Celebration crowds for that.

Who I hope to have sign but idk if they will: Alden, Emilia and Donald. If Jimmy Smits showed up I’d be in heaven but seriously doubt it

I don’t see RO coming back except for Tudyk

I’d love for Hayden to come back but not expecting it. Logan of course will be there, maybe Morrison.

I just hope the organization and booth placements will be better this time but I doubt it. Topps can’t seem to be able to print pictures correctly for their site, why would organizing an event be different?

13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, $280 is the cheapest for Daisy on Star Wars Authentics.

Bulloch is a super nice guy. Real soft spoken and sweet. His line moves slow because he takes time to talk to everyone.

It doesn't surprise me that he may be nearing the end of doing cons because he is getting a little frail. He has a good dry wit if you get to see him in a panel.

Ian is good, but he's popular so he gets lines.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I met Jeremy back in 2005 at a UK con. Nice guy! He was selling copies of his book so I bought one and he signed it. His wife was handling the money.

15. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    So with Solo being the first real bomb in the franchise, does that seem to cut the odds of the Solo cast appearing down?

16. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I don't think so.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think it's a bit early to say it's a bomb. After all it did open against Deadpool 2.

18. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Bomb in the traditional sense? Nah. It's making money. Bomb in a Star Wars sense? Most certainly. It made 8 million on Friday in the us, and most major worldwide markets seem to have no interest. It's falling off a cliff.

And I don't get it either. I love the movie.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It got pretty good reviews here (UK) and I liked it. I plan on going again this coming week.

20. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    It seems to be playing pretty well with fans, but the general public isn't going to see it. It's going to likely make less than $500M worldwide and end up a pretty good sized loss considering the high budget with the reshoots. It sucks, but it is what it is. I don't think it has any bearing on who comes to Celebration though.

21. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    It had a hard opening coming after Infinity War & Deadpool but hopefully it will have good legs. It won’t break records but it doesn’t have to be a flop.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It's also going to be up against the new Jurassic Park film. I think that opens soon as well.

23. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Even with a TFA multiplier, you're looking at under $600M WW.

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If anything it's sent a message to Disney that they picked the wrong time of year for this. Stick to December when the films aren't up against as many summer blockbusters.

25. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    That would have helped. I still think it would have underperformed some, but yeah, sticking it in May was a terrible idea.