main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I'd say go for it, the non-competitive challenges don't need a deadline.

brodiew and Findswoman like this.
  2. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    Hello everyone, @Findswoman here. I'm taking over this sock through the end of the year while @earlybird-obi-wan recovers. Just a few announcements:

First, I would like to officially introduce the noncompetitive, nondeadline mini-challenge proposed in post 1000 above by @brodiew: Create a New OC in 500–1500 Words! The challenge is pretty much exactly what it sounds like, and your introduction to the new OC can take pretty much any form you want as long as it's within that word count and as long as it's a brand new OC who has not featured in any of your stories yet.

Meanwhile, the main spring 2018 OC challenge is still running through May 31. PM your stories to this sock when they're ready. I'm looking forward to seeing what we'll get! :)

As always, just ask if you have any questions, and happy writing! :)

* * *​

Create a New OC Index
    First Steps by brodiew
    Not Ready for Recruitment by brodiew
    Freaking Out: From the Journal Of Ronen Syndulla-Jarrus by Raissa Baiard
    Calm after the Storm by Findswoman
    Windy Gibbons – A Star Wars Story by Sith-I-5
    What Is a Seven? by Ewok Poet
    A Blaster Wound? by Ewok Poet

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Kahara, Anedon , Ewok Poet and 3 others like this.
  3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    New OC, though technically an npc at this stage, has 433 words in his first roleplaying post, so I figure I'll stitch together his posts into a vignette, for my submission.

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I have a strange question: can an OC whose letter was found in another story, but did NOT appear in the story proper be a new OC?

Findswoman likes this.
  5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I personally have no problem with this if the character wasn't actually present in the story, but I'd be curious of other folks' thoughts about this too—anyone?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I changed my mind - looks like that thing will be more suitable for the English Restoration Theatre challenge and as a belated response to the Fanon Yours 'n Mine challenge. I'll go with something else here. ;)

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  7. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  8. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    A quick update to say that two entries have come in so far for the Create a New OC mini-challenge! I've started a little index in the post introducing the challnege (#1027, a few up from this one).

Just as a friendly reminder regarding procedure: when you've completed and posted your challenge entry, please don't forget to PM its title and link to this sock for recordkeeping purposes.

Thanks so much, and keep the good stuff coming! :D

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Me again, if I may, popping in with a little reminder that you have two weeks left for the current OC challenge, due Thursday, May 31! [face_dancing] :D

10. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Aaaand... one more day, dear friends, just one more day! :D

Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Posting as myself since I’m on mobile and it’s the middle of the night here. Sorry I wasn’t clear about this at first: the challenge that’s due later today is the one listed at the top of post #2 in this thread, the one about an OC’s childhood event that changed them. The “Create an OC” one is noncompetitive and thus has no deadline—though I’m glad to have your contribution to it all the same. :) Again, my apologies for any confusion.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Aaand now... the Spring/Summer 2018 Challenge has officially come to an end, and there were two entries this time, for the reading enjoyment of all and sundry:

A Freak Like Me by Raissa Baiard
    What She Saw by Findswoman

However, Findswoman has taken her entry out of competition, since she's also currently running this sock—which means that we have a winner by default: @Raissa Baiard! [face_dancing] Congratulations, Raissa—you now get to come up with this thread's next challenge! (And of course, always feel free to PM with questions and thoughts.)

And, of course, don't forget to check out the entries in the noncompetitive "Introduce an OC" minichallenge, which are listed here.

Thank you all, and be sure to check back again soon! :D

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  14. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Oh, wow! Well, I'm sure Ronen would have something angsty to say about winning by default, so I'll just say thanks on his behalf. :D I have an idea for the next challenge that I think could be fun; I'll PM it in ASAP!

15. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    @Raissa Baiard has provided us with a wonderful new prompt for our…

2018 Summer Challenge!1!
    (the previous one having been our “Spring/Summer Challenge”)

…and it goes like this:

Your character confesses a secret to another character (who can be either an OC or an EC). This can be anything from mildly embarrassing ("I still watch Brave Little Banthas"), to heartfelt ("I've always loved you"), to deep and dark ("I killed a man in the spice mines of Kessel"). How does the other character react and how does your character respond?

Challenge responses are due by 11:59pm on Sunday, September 2.

Challenge Index So Far
    Waterstories by Ewok Poet
    "Sometimes I Just Know" by Raissa Baiard
    Somewhere Out There by Findswoman (out of competition)

Now, as to submission procedure, see below…

* * *​

Now while I’m here, I’d like to get people’s opinion on a couple procedural things. (I’ve discussed these possibilities beforehand with the usual host of this thread, @earlybird-obi-wan, and she is OK with my pitching them publicly to you all.)

1. Procedure for submitting challenge stories. This thread has typically followed a different procedure than most other similar ones (Fanon Thread, OTP Thread, etc.), in that people have been asked to PM their stories and links to the sock (which the sock later lists all together in a voting post) rather than posting links to their stories within the thread. My question to you is:

What would you think about changing this procedure to be more like other challenge/discussion threads—namely, allowing authors to post story links in the thread (rather than requiring links to be PMd to the sock)?

Whatever we decide will determine the approach we take for the Summer Challenge introduced above.

2. Thread title. Since this thread has been “brought back” for a while now, what do people think of retitling it as simply “The OC Revolution”? That would free up some space in the thread title when updating for new challenges, congratulating winners, etc.—but I also know that it can be confusing when thread titles are changed, so I am fine with keeping the title as it is, too.

Thank you all, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts! :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    YES, MY MEME IS NOW IN A CHALLENGE EXPLANATION. GATHER A CHOIR OF MICE AND REJOICE IN THE LORD, EVERYBEING! <3

I mean, congrats to @Raissa Baiard. Ronen, people know about you. OMG NOW THEY'RE GOING TO POINT AND LAUGH. Now you need to wear different colours. Now you need a girlfriend. END-OF-THE-WORLD.

Yes.

I'd go for Original Character Revolution, even...so people who are new to fanfiction could get an idea.

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    "OC Revolution" sounds like a fine idea.

If the intention is to free up space for challenge text, then expanding it to "Original Character Revolution" defeats the objective.

Findswoman likes this.
  18. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    I think this is a good idea. Since most of the other challenge threads do this, I did it without thinking when I submitted my entry for the Create an OC challenge (oops!). Kind of having a standard across threads makes good sense.

I think this makes sense, too.

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  20. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Thanks for the story submissions, everyone! The index for the Create an OC challenge should now be up to date.

So now, just a quick note: it's not a huge deal, since I will probably end up changing the procedure about story links anyway—but I technically have not changed it just yet. :p That's partly because I'm hoping more folks will weigh in on the "few questions" of the thread title—the poll questions below the asterisks in post 1040 above, concerning procedure for posting/announcing links to challenge submissions. So please do weigh in and let me know your thoughts. Your friendly neighborhood OCDatabaseSock thanks you! :D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  21. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I say that anything that simplifies submissions is s good thing, so let's make the process for challenges similar to what the majority of the other threads are doing.
    I am all for dropping the "bring back" part of the title. We've been back for quite a while. I don't think we need to change OC to Original Character. Learn the lingo, baby.

22. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Having links posted in-thread and shortening the thread title sound fine to me. :)

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  23. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    OK, it looks in general as though people are pretty much unanimously in favor of allowing posting of story links, so I have updated the thread rules accordingly, and that will be the procedure we follow for the next challenge (see #1040 above) and all future challenges.

Also, it looks as though folks are generally OK with changing/shortening the thread title to just "The OC Revolution," so I shall put in a request for that to the mods and/or admins. (Regarding "OC" vs. "original character" in full: the very first thing in post #1 is a Wikipedia definition of the term OC, so I think we're fine there.)

Many thanks to all who weighed in! :)

24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The last challenge and the last competitive challenge are missing in the index post on the front page.

And yeah, I know, the OTP THREAD. But I felt like teasin' my BFF a bit. <3

divapilot and Findswoman like this.
  25. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    All right, consider me teased. :p Though could you please clarify which challenge(s) you mean? The current competitive OC challenge (the one about confessing a secret, first described in post #1040) is right there at the beginning of post #2, under the heading "Current Challenge." The one before that (the one about an event from the OC's childhood) is listed in post #3 ("Past Challenges"), as "Spring/Summer Challenge 2018," with a link to the list of stories (that's how I think I'd like to handle those from now on, since that post is getting super long and too many links per post can make things glitchy). Also, the most recent noncompetitive challenge (the one about introducing an OC in 500–1500 words) is listed in post 2 as well. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by the index post? Just trying to be sure I understand. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.