main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Celebration Chicago Appearances and Signings

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by MotivateR5D4, May 28, 2018.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Keep in mind, Blade Runner 2049 was considered a box office bomb, with general audiences not seeing it in droves either. When in reality, it was one of the best movies of the year. I'm not going so far as to say Solo is as good as BR2049. But I think there is a similar thing going on here, given that Solo is in fact a good movie, and yet people are considering it to be a bomb.

The time of year thing is a big factor as well. Not so much that SW movies can't ever work again at this time of year, just that the change was so sudden and abrupt, going from three consecutive December releases to a sudden May release. I don't think general audiences were ready for that. In addition to Solo being released alongside the other major blockbusters mentioned.

As far as SW fans go, it won't have any impact on Celebration and I would still expect the cast to appear.

2. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    When I say Solo bombed, I'm talking financially, which is ultimately what Disney will care about in terms of if we ever see Alden in the role again. The fact that it reviewed fairly well and is generally liked by those who have seen it is a plus for its legacy. I think it's a worthy addition to the franchise and I'm glad it exists, but we may see some fallout from this. Disney doesn't like losing money.

A general rule of thumb is that a film needs to make 2.5x its budget to be considered a success, because the budget doesn't include advertising costs or the cut that goes to theaters.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  3. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    That's what I was referring to as well, it bombing financially despite being a good movie. Which is exactly what happened with BR2049.

And sure, it might impact whether another Solo film gets made or not. But in terms of Alden and the rest of the cast, I don't see why Solo failing at the box office and Disney/LucasFilm deciding not to make any more would have any impact on whether or not the actors should appear at Celebration. Whether or not they actually appear can be up to entirely different reasons or circumstances. But I don't think it will have anything to do with the poor box office numbers.

4. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Exactly. It really comes down to if the actors feel like making easy money that weekend.

5. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I do hope the go. I'd go for an Alden, Donald, and Emilia autograph for sure.

I really hope the R1 cast shows up too, even if it feels incredibly unlikely.

Padme501st likes this.
  6. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Clarke seems unlikely to me, just because she's never hit the con scene with GoT. If she did do it, she'd probably be $250 at minimum.

I'd like to see some different RO actors show up. I was a little surprised Luna didn't do Orlando. It would be nice to see him. Mendelsohn would be amazing too.

7. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Yeah, I remember seeing her at my first SDCC back in 2011. I don't think she did any signing there.

Luna would be awesome, as would Mendelsohn. I really just want to meet Felicity. :D

8. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    She was soft spoken, but polite. The staff was real clear about not shaking hands with her, but she seemed cool, just a bit shy maybe. She only did one day for Orlando, so hopefully she comes back since the demand would be there. I was disappointed she didn't do a panel.

I really want the ST cast to sign/photo ops, but it's hard to guess how likely that is.

9. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    I'm so jealous, haha. Outside of Adam Driver (whose almost certainly a no-show), Felicity is my favorite actor out of the Disney films new cast members. Really enjoy all the work of hers I've seen.

Do the ST cast members not sign often?

10. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    They've never signed at Celebration. Boyega signed at a con early this year for the first time, so that's given some hope that they may start signing now, but we just don't know.

11. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    To be honest, I'm kind of surprised by that. Is there any reason they don't sign?

12. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    There's been rumors that Disney wouldn't allow them to, but that's never been verified.

13. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    That's very weird. I wonder why that'd be?

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It could also be that they had filming commitments during the last Celebration.

15. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Boyega's career has also taken off a lot more than much of the other cast, at least in terms of visibility. He's front and center of an entirely different, equally popular (among kids) franchise that had a movie come out this year. So it makes sense that he could ride that popularity a little better in the overall convention circuit. It's a definite sign that he isn't restricted. And it likely means that he will appear at Celebration. But I'm not sure it's much of an indication for anyone else.

16. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Very true. Bodega is also very commuted to the Star Wars fan base, so I'm hopeful.

By the way, next year is the 20th anniversary for Phantom Menace. Seems likely to get a couple cast members for that film. I'm hoping anyway.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  17. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    SLJ and Neeson did recorded messages for the 40th panel, but it's hard to imagine them signing. If an Obi-Wan film happens, there's a decent chance Ewan shows up, but I don't see him signing. Portman and Keira Knightley I would say no chance.

Park and McDiarmid are almost locks. They might be able to get someone like Silas Carson or Lewis Macleod. Maybe Best or Lloyd, but I don't know how much demand they would have. Maybe Pernilla August?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Given how seldom they appear at events, I think Lloyd or Best would generate a lot of popularity for their first appearance. Especially in a year that celebrates the 20th anniversary of TPM and highlights the actors in it. With Best, the genuine Jar Jar hate has simmered a lot, and you'd have a lot of people curious to talk to him. A lot of SW autograph collectors would seize on the chance to get these autographs. So if they're smart and want to capitalize, especially for guys like Lloyd or Best, they ought to do it next year when the interest is high.

A 20th anniversary Phantom Menace panel with a good deal of the cast would be hugely popular. Another interesting panel would be a discussion with some of the cast or crew of the TPM and a discussion with some of the ST cast to compare what it's like being the new cast in these different eras of Star Wars. Out of the five day con, I can definitely see one of those days having a lot of programming dedicated to the TPM, and I have no doubt it would be well received by attendees.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Gamma626 likes this.
  19. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    It will still be a four day con in regard to panels, but it will be interesting to see how they fill out the programming. Two of the biggest panels in Orlando was the 40th anniversary and the Fisher tribute. Obviously you won't have those this time.

20. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Isn't Jake Lloyd in some psychiatric hospital or something similar?

21. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    He was a few years ago. I have no idea if he still is or what he's doing now.

22. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Indeed he is, to the best of my searching. He was arrested, then transferred to a psychiatric facility after being diagnosed with schizophrenia. It seems like he's still there, so the odds of a Jake Lloyd appearance are at about a 0.

23. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    Lloyd used to attend Celebration but I don't remember there being much of a line for him and a lot of people said he wasn't that friendly. But they say that about a lot of guests so who really knows.I think I heard some fans say mean things to him which would make him mad and not attend but it's hearsay to be honest.

24. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Considering how much the fandom bashed child actors back in the day, I'd say no wonder.

Anyhow, the more I'm reading this thread and thinking about a possible TPM panel, the most excited I get! It'd be nice to see some Prequels love.

25. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I agree! I would love a TPM panel. It would bring back a lot of memories from '99

Amon_Amarth likes this.