main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars: SOLO - Spoilers-Allowed Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    @brodiew I never saw Han as bitter in the OT. I guess he was bitter and sad in the ST but that could be because his son was now a darkside Vader-wannabe in desperate need of anger management training. I wonder if Luke told Han and Leia that he considered killing their son in his sleep? This is the same Luke that would not kill Vader because he thought he was redeemable. It would have to be tough for Han to realize Luke might see his son as something worse than Vader.

That is why I don't like the ST. Luke, Han and Leia are sad, bitter people. It is not the fate I wanted for the heroes of the OT.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Sith-I-5, Kahara, Tarsier and 2 others like this.
  2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Tell your sister you were right, @Jedi_Lover ! Bitter is not the best word to describe OT Han. He is desperate. He is definitely more worldly. He's not lonely per se but it would say that his experiences have jaded him at least a little bit. Can still crack wise and see the good in people because he is good no matter how deep he has buried it at the point we meet him in a new hope.

Kahara and Lady_Misty like this.
  3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I wouldn't use bitter to describe Han in either of the trilogies. Disillusioned, yes. Disillusioned and cynical in the OT; I don't think he would've come to Luke's rescue if he was bitter. He stopped believing he could make a difference, he stopped having hope that it could be a better world... then Luke and the Rebellion changed his mind.

I don't think he's bitter in ST either... disillusioned, once again, and regretful. I think the true tragedy is that as much as he and Leia love one another, they really are not compatible. She loves stability, public service, she's accustomed to being in the public eye. Han has never known stability and it makes him uncomfortable, because he probably feels, deep down, that it will be torn away from him as it has in the past. He is definitely not used to being in the limelight; he's spent his life in the shadows, earning a living by staying out of view. And no matter how much he loves his son, Ben is raised in accordance with Leia's royal protocol background, added to all the "woo" of training as a Jedi, which is outside of Han's experience. He feels like a stranger in his own child's life, with nothing of his own to offer. And when things go to pot, he runs away.

jcgoble3, Kahara, GregMcP and 2 others like this.
  4. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You know, of all things the screenplay writers could have taken from the EU they had to incorporate the fact that Han runs off and leaves Leia when things get really bad. He did that when Chewie died in the books. I can see Han taking off in certain circumstances, but I have a hard time seeing him leave Leia behind. After all, she risked everything to get him back from Jabba's Palace. I supposed the new canon EU will eventually release a novel showing what happened between Han and Leia. I guess Leia may have told Han to take off with Chewie and get his head together.

5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I consider every single emotion the characters show over the course of time logical. No saccharine = realistic.

GregMcP, Lady_Misty and brodiew like this.
  6. DarthPinoy

DarthPinoy Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2014
    Have any of the new "canon" SW novels delved into Leia's non-Han Solo love affairs? Has this poor woman had any?? i'm serious, this might be an interesting fanfic--How Leia Got her Groove Back (no thanks to the First Order).

7. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Saw it yesterday. It was good; I could tell it had been kind of hobbled together. I also noticed it failed the Beschel test.

Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  8. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    The Beschel test?

9. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Two named female characters talk to each other about something other than a man. Nope. Didn’t happen.

Kahara likes this.
  10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Did Qi'ra talk to Lady Promima? I can't remember if that scene was just Han babbling excuses or not.

11. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    I really liked that scene also. I love it when Han says, "You have a beast?" But there is a disturbing thought. There were human remains in that pit. Was Chewie eating human flesh?

When Han hits the ground and he hears the growl of the beast it was the exact sound we heard when he was thrown into Jabba's dungeon. I knew immediately it was Chewie.

I haven't been over to some of the more risque fanfiction sites, but I've wondered if people are out there writing extended shower scene slash?

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I know a couple of examples in real life where I thought two people made a pretty good couple, but the pressures and constrictions of settling down pulled them apart.

And a troublesome teenager can wreak hell on a marriage. You can't fight the kid, so you fight each other.... (said as someone who's marriage survived those years)

I think this is an interesting thing with these Sequels. Many fans wanted their favorite characters back all awesome and powerful, but instead they got old and faced the pressures we all do getting old.

The realisation that these Sequels are to a degree about watching our heroes get old and die is quite sad however. I did struggle with that for a while with TLJ. I get it, and feel it, but it's a tough story to be told.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Ewok Poet, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  13. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Yes, hard to watch when we wanted them all to have 'happily ever afters,' and yet... if they were awesome and powerful and all-wise, they wouldn't be very interesting. No place for their characters to grow and evolve over the course of the stories. I actually liked TLJ, because Luke wasn't the incredible, all-powerful Jedi knight, and I'm not at all surprised that he wasn't able to re-establish the Jedi Order... He had, what, a couple of weeks on training on Dagobah after Hoth, maybe a little more time afterwards, but with Yoda's death, everything he learned was off the cuff. The old Jedi had YEARS of training, Luke had raw talent and a vague idea.

I have not searched for Solo fanfic, and I shudder to think of shower slash myself! [face_hypnotized] But I suppose it would appeal to some...

Q'ira did seem rather underused and uninteresting in this, and Val was ridiculously underused. Not one of the stronger entries for the distaff side, unless you count LE-E7.

Kahara and brodiew like this.
  14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    So, I've seen this now, and can say a few things! :D

I enjoyed it, on the whole—it didn't pack quite the punch of Rogue One (which is an immensely tough act to follow anyway), but it was a well-done and very entertaining action flick. It became a bit hard for me to follow all the "who's double-crossing who" business toward the end between Dryden, Tobias, and Qi'ra, but that's not the film's fault—I've always gotten confused about that sort of thing. :p

Maul's appearance was definitely a bit weird. I wouldn't say that it was a total jar, because the scene was clearly building up to showing someone Big&Evil™, and I guess Maul is as Big&Evil™ as anyone else who's around during that period of Galactic history. For me it was more like, as the Findsboy would say, "what the what?" Or, "wait, how does this fit in? Is there some other book or comic that explains more?" And of course I now wonder just where Maul and Qi'ra and the Crimson Dawn are going to go from here—though who knows if that will ever be played out.

I kind of had mixed feelings about L3 to start with; her kind of shrill-and-sometimes-complainy personality is not one that I personally find easy to relate to, I guess, but I appreciated the important role she played in the Kessel scenes, and I liked that she got to become one with the Falcon after she died. When you think about it, she was really the one who made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs! :D And of course it was very cool indeed to finally get glimpses of Kessel, the Maelstrom, and the Maw. Very stunning visuals there (even if, as my physicist husband pointed out, the physics of the whole thing are a bit dubious :p ).

In terms of strong female characters, let's not forget Enfys Nest! [face_dancing] I was intrigued by her in the preview clips, and she made for a very interesting "not what they seem" type of character. She's arguably somewhat underused too (and yes, I agree they could have had Val do more), though she certainly has whizbang fanfic potential! I'm thinking of working her into my half-DDC plans in some way. [face_thinking]

divapilot, Ewok Poet, Kahara and 5 others like this.
  15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I wonder if the sight of Darth Maul was confusing to moviegoers that never watched the cartoons. To me he was dead. So when I saw him I initially thought Solo was set in a time prior to the prequels, but then there wouldn't be stormtroopers...so that didn't make sense. My son has to tell me Maul had robotic legs. Then I remembered something I read about him surviving. If I was confused I bet the non-fanboy/girl that only saw the movies were really confused.

Tarsier, jcgoble3, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @Carlos Danger: Han/Chewie slash seems so wrong in ways that other slash would at least seem understandable. Not a slash fan in general.

@GregMcP, You make good points for DRL. What you say is definitely true. However, I remain one who feels that the kind of deconstruction were given was heavy handed. It felt very 'bring it all down, man' while building their new vision at the same time.

I agree with this Findswoman, but I don't think this film was supposed to pack that kind of punch. R1 was an integral missing piece in the OT that was masterfully put into place. SOLO is more of a first piece of a larger story, which I would gain dramatic punch with each installment, but still not one that is integral to the OT.

I think this is a fallacy in the Disney plan with SW. Whether Holdo, Maul, Phasma, or any other backstory that requires homework to enjoy the feature film could be confusing to some. As for Maul, his appearance in Solo was an eye roll for me. I liked Maul for what he was in TPM, but my head canon is that Obi-Wan dispensed him at the end of that film. I've watched REBELS, but Maul hold no interest for me.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  17. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  18. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Yep...his story was dorky in Rebels, and was just out of place in Solo. I was prepared for Qi'ra to talk to Vader or the Emperor or Xizor...even Jabba. Definitely not Maul.

Tarsier and brodiew like this.
  19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I was fine with Maul.
    He was one of the best bits in Clone Wars. They created quite an interesting deranged character.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, it was confusing to those moviegoers. I saw Solo with my mother, who has never seen TCW or Rebels. I had to explain to her afterward how Maul survived and what happened between TPM and Solo. She still doesn't fully understand.

21. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Which is why fan-service is NOT always a good idea...

jcgoble3, Ewok Poet and Raissa Baiard like this.
  22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It is okay if not focused on too closely. I watched a video on hidden Easter Eggs in Solo and there were references to the EU that I didn't understand but they were not focused on so it just went over my head.

Lady_Misty likes this.