main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Constructive Criticism & Suggestions for Improvements for 2019

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ChrisLyne, May 20, 2018.

1. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Iirc, I don't think they've had the north side open (left of the main entrance) in 2007. In 2016 there were huge rooms for entry (and props check) which I don't think were used in the first SWCE. But luckily there weren't other events there.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    @j-jawa3 and @Padme501st

My biggest complaint about that was that those who came later on and didn't do the camping out were rewarded over those that did. Because at a certain point, they opened all remaining press seats to attendees. But all the overnighters were already in their seats. Meaning a whole bunch of people who came in at the last minute got way better seats than anybody who camped overnight. So yea, they reserved way too many for them. I had a fairly good spot overall both times, so it didn't impact me too much. But it would have really grinded my gears if I waited overnight, got shafted out of a decent seat, and then saw that happen.

Another big reason to account for ending up so far back in the room despite being so far in front of the line was a massive failure on ReedPop to not have enough staff/security manning the entire corridor that the line walked through to get to the panel room. I was actually pretty disgusted at the amount of fans who took the liberty of just bum rushing forward ahead of all the people who were in line ahead of them. And there was literally nobody around to stop it. I talked to a guy who was part of that one group who lines up absurdly early at every major SW event. You know who I'm talking about? He said he was 17th in line, but after the massive bum rush, he was back to where I was, which was about the midway point at that point in terms of capacity. I really felt bad for him, and realized at that point that these inconveniences are just going to be part of this whole thing. You win some, you lose some.

They fixed it the next day though. We walked through about a 4 person wide hallway the entire way that morning because it had received such a big backlash at the lack of maintaining the line the previous morning. At least the it stopped the bum rushing. But since it was the TLJ panel and not the 40th anniversary panel on Friday, every single media seat was taken up. But that's where my second complaint comes in, because it was clear that a lot of those people occupying those seats had nothing to do with the media. So again, allowing way more than they should.

Padme501st likes this.
  3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Same from our pictures of the overnight line I wasn't too far behind you in line. I was like half way back. I actually got someone to move over to fit in my wife and son because they left a blank seat between groups. I thought I was going to be a lot closer. I think when they moved the line is where I got jacked.

Padme501st likes this.
  4. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    The upper level of one of the sides of the arena is suites. It's possible they could stick the press and Lucasfilm people up there.

5. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Not sure how much impact it will have but the website says they are being more selective with media badges due to the demand for them.

6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Hopefully. Still though, it's relative. Because with an arena that big, being selective could still mean issuing a lot of badges. Plus it will hardly be noticeable anyway.

As opposed to "being selective" at Orlando, where that could have had a major impact.

7. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    They should definitely have a big screen showing main stage activities in the exhibit area again. That was a BIG plus. It really brought up the energy for the whole place.

Better line management would be a big plus. Really, Disney are world experts; Celebration should use some of that know-how. And can they please separate the people in the morning into lines that are going to a main stage activity and the line for people just going into the exhibit area? That would help people get in A LOT faster.

Will there be food trucks around the convention center? The ones outside the Anaheim convention center were great, and there were lots of choices of food. Not so much for Orlando. I'm hoping someone will be selling some of that real Chicago pizza. So, if the organizers can sweet-talk some quality vendors outside, that would be good.

8. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Where would the gut trucks be parked at the con.center so everyone could enjoy them? my husband talks about the Chicago pizzas and hotdogs.

9. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    On google maps it looks like there's plenty of open space where food trucks could go between the two convention buildings.

I wonder if anyone knows of good spots for group costume photos? Those are lots of fun and there should be some places in such a large convention center.

10. StarWarsFan1997

StarWarsFan1997 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    My biggest complaint from Orlando was the lack of space in the main stage for things like the 40th and TLJ panels, which led to my two overnight queues leading to streaming rooms. The fact that McCormack has a stadium attached (which seems larger than the one in Anaheim) should prevent a repeat of that experience.

11. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Reed told me that everyone who camped out(and they made room for everyone in that huge room) was going to be able to get into the live theater. I wonder how many seats were taken up by media(that could have been made available to fans) I didn't camp out, but made into a streaming room. but barely before it was cut off!

12. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014
    Don't say that too loud, food trucks are a sore subject for us in Chicago. The city doesn't actually want them, so they're incredibly over-regulated, and it seems every month there's a new lawsuit having to do with them.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-food-trucks-supreme-court-20180531-story.html

I agree that the food trucks in Anaheim were AMAZING, but I have completely given up on a successful food truck market in Chicago.

13. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    If you're banking on waiting outside in line overnight in Chicago, in April, then you've got another thing coming. The Midwest, especially Chicago right by the lake, ain't Anaheim or Florida. Snowfall as late as May isn't unheard of.

14. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I went to the University of Kentucky where basketball is a huge deal. For big games, students would camp outside Rupp Arena overnight...often times in 20 degree or below weather. I was born for this. :)

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  15. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    But did you have the wind coming off of a very large lake to contend with too? Or busy streets with people of all kinds walking and driving by? Downtown Chicago is a bit different than Rupp Arena.

16. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I actually did have brutal wind. The way the student entrance was that it was a basically a corridor with the arena wall on one side and a cement wall on the other side that was an overhang to the parking lot below. So it was effectively a wind tunnel. But I digress...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  17. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    It would not be first time that a Celebration got snowed on, which is what happened at CIII in Indianapolis. I actually put on two woolly Jedi robes for that.

Padme501st likes this.
  18. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    In all likely hood (and assuming they don't change the system too drastically) they will have an indoor space for the overnight queue.

19. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    My days of camping overnight have passed(Indianapolis and Orlando(1st) I have felt the firery winds blowing off the lakes in Chicago and they're sold cold they burn! gut-trucks? I looked at the map of the McCormick place center and it has quite a few eateries and food courts, I could settle for those. I visited the gut-truck "alley"' in Anahiem, lots of variety and diesel fumes! but good food.

20. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    I"ll be one of the first timers at this. It sounds like zero chance I'll get into any of the major panels. What kind of stuff is readily available to do if you're not willing to stand in line overnight beforehand? I get that I may miss the IX forum and that kind of stuff, but is there anything I'll be able to get into or do?

Excited to go as a lifelong Star Wars fan, but a lot of it sounds like a nightmare. I'm also 40. so, hanging out in freezing april Chicago weather isn't appealing to me.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  21. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, one option is to hang around the Star Wars Show stage. They show all the major panels there and have different guests show up throughout the week. There's no schedule for when people will show up, but the big names usually stop by at some point. I was hanging out with @MotivateR5D4 on Sunday last year and we happened to pass the stage right as Hamill showed up.

Some of the other decent panels (Anthony Daniels, for example) will probably be easier to get into with them using Wintrust Arena.

There's also smaller fan run panels if those interest you.

There's autographs and photo ops if that's your kind of thing, but they cost $ and can be time consuming.

Just walking the floor and checking out the cosplayers and vendors is fun.

Anything popular will involve waiting in line, but just walking around and soaking in the atmosphere is fun as well.

22. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    I'm generally fine with just doing that, I think. just being a part of it. but, I'd at least like to be at some smaller panels. I saw Ray Park at one of my local cons and that was great. Even if it's stuff like that it would be cool.

Maybe a panel about the comics. Or, my biggest thing would be something having to do with Resistance, but I bet that would be a long line too. I don't mind waiting a couple of hours in a line for a panel, but waiting 10 hours all night the night before might be much.

If nothing else, just walking the floor and all that is cool.

23. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Resistance will be popular. Not overnight, but likely early in the morning. Park should be doable. I don't follow the comics, so I don't know what there is to do with that.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  24. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Marvel Comics and Del Rey books always have panels at the US Celebrations and I think the queue for them is normally reasonable.

In all honesty, with the arena I think the only thing that will require an overnight line up is Episode IX. Anything else you should be ok just lining up early in the morning. Saying that, we're assuming they will wristband or somehow allocate panel access in the morning again. That still seems the most likely thing but just bear in mind that there will be some sort of new system next year so this advice could easily change once those details are announced.

25. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Lets hope that there will be signs that will direct one to whatever panel they want to attend, direct you to the "beloved" line! and who knows how long you must wait in that!