main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Kennedy possibly out in September?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by AndrewPascoe, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    [face_laugh] I played the heck out of that game.

ewoksimon likes this.
  2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't get the impression that most of the people that make Star Wars youtube videos spend much time posting here. I think they have more of an interest in making their own videos and interacting with the community of their channel. I think when they do come on here they often are doing so to give their own channel a shout out in order to get more eyes on it.

3. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah self promotion. Makes sense. I forget sometimes that youtube is its own community.

4. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Deadline confirms there are rumors that Kathleen Kennedy’s future with Lucasfilm is in doubt following the failure of Solo and the multiple director clashes.

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  5. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    Those clashes cost money depending on the contracts that were signed who knows how much money was wasted on all of the director clashes, with Solo's losses and the cost of Rogue One's reshoots being more than what they should have been she may have cost the company over $100 mil on the balance sheet that's definitely going to put you in the hot seat.

black_saber likes this.
  6. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Deadline - Geoff Johns To Step Down As DC Chief Creative Officer; Will Get Warner Bros Producing Deal

https://deadline.com/2018/06/geoff-...fficer-warner-bros-producing-deal-1202407811/

2Cleva and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  7. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002

8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Wait....Deadline confirms...there are rumors. Well yeah, I can confirm there are rumors too. I've read some of them here.

Senator Wan, eko32eko7 and Trikuza23 like this.
  9. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Okey thanks but I do like to hear the gossip .

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Do you have any other fresh scoops? :p

11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    That's not a scoop. Deadline is simply repeating a scoop....that there are rumors. Yeah, we could have told them that.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Well either way, kathleen Kennedy is not in a good position with disney or the fans

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    According to the rumors.

Trikuza23 likes this.
  14. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    And I hope they are true, but we will find out in September.

15. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    All this outrage and handwringing about Kathleen Kennedy and "the future of Star Wars" is so ridiculous to me.

I'd like to remind people that we're only 4 films and 2.5 years into the new era of Star Wars (compared to Marvel's 19 films over 10 years). Even so, 2 of those 4 films have been huge hits with fans and critics alike (TFA, R1). One was hated by many fans (TLJ) but adored by critics as a work of blockbuster art. And the only one that flopped commercially (Solo) still has solid reviews and pleased most fans who did see it. On top of that, an Obi-Wan movie that 90% of the fanbase desperately craves is in development as is a Boba Fett movie with a director that everyone approves of. And then we have new projects from Favreau, Benioff & Weiss and Rian Johnson. Even if you're not interested in RJ's trilogy, the point is that we have COMPLETELY NEW material coming.

Long story short, I don't think there's anything particularly "wrong" with SW -- it's just growing pains (like Marvel's hit-and-miss opening salvo of Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Thor). Don't make knee-jerk decisions because of 1 or 2 duds, whether commercial or critical. Just learn from your mistakes and course-correct as necessary. As a wise being said in some movie: "The greatest teacher, failure is..."

In fact, the solution to our problems is already on the way. In short order, we're likely to get a crowd-pleasing Ep9 from JJ, a formal Obi-Wan spinoff announcement and Jon Favreau's live-action streaming series with all new characters. Whether Kennedy stays on or not, I'm actually feeling great about the future of SW. The toxic fandom is what's bringing me down.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  16. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    Their won't be a solution till episode IX is out there are many people that won't watch the TV show as it will be on the new streaming service if I am not mistaken and many won't get the service. Also, there is no guarantee that IX will be crowd-pleasing and that even if it is that everyone is going to show up and that it will be even more successful than TLJ. For all, we know JJ doesn't stick the landing (I hope he does) something he is notoriously bad at and the Star Wars Fandom is worse off than it is now. I really liked where things were going with TFA don't love the movie but love the characters. After TLJ I don't care about the end of this trilogy the whole Rebellion vs Empire thing I saw already and we are now rehashing it again. Currently I have no interest in IX but who knows that may change.

Don't forget Disney is a business and the profitability of Star Wars is on a decline, merchandise sales are down, toy sales are down and Battlefront 2 was a bloody disaster thanks to EA following up on Battlefront 1 which wasn't much better. If a decision gets made it won't be because of just the movies which haven't all been smooth sailing the hirings and firings do cost LFL money as do higher than budgeted reshoots which we have had with Rogue One and Solo. Now with Solo losing money, KK has been responsible for somewhere around 80 million in losses to the company. Disney needs Star Wars to be profitable because even if it has grossed over 4 billion they have not made that in profit yet to pay for the cost of the franchise. Losses and setbacks are something they can ill afford till they have effectively paid off that purchase.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  17. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    This whole thing is just getting so ridiculous. It's times like this that make you think that the world might be a better place if the internet was never created. Before the internet stuff like this only appeared in those gossip magazines that you could easily avoid just by not getting the magazine. These days you are bombarded by this junk just by typing in the word Star Wars into your computer.

18. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    For some reason some fans must have Star Wars be number 1 all the time and be the biggest. It's all about size. I just want to see Star Wars do well and thrive. If it's number 1, awesome! If not, well it's not the end of the world.

Senator Wan and ComfortablyNunb like this.
  19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Although underwhelming at the BO Solo was #1 at the BO for a certain period. The only catastrophe is that they spent about 400 million for the movie. I guess they won't make it again.

eko32eko7 likes this.
  20. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Solo was a train wreck. I love the film, but they really need to figure out what they want with spinoffs because that's where the production problems are coming from. A lot of films go through production hell, but they need to get things under control.

black_saber likes this.
  21. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    That's just business.

You don' perform to expectation and screw up you get fired.

The higher you are and the most money you make the thinner the margin for error.

Kathleen screwed up with the last jedi and the overunning of solo.
    Producers have been fired for less.

It' not like her losing her job going to destroy her. She will just take her hundred of millions and retire to her California mansion.

black_saber likes this.
  22. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Isn't there any room for box office underperformance?

Is all you mentioned one person's fault?

[​IMG]

ComfortablyNunb likes this.
  23. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    In that sort of industry nope.

That's why they get paid the big bucks.

24. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Jeff Sneider talked about the rumors today on Collider and he said an issue moving forward will be the perception of Lucasfilm to the industry moving forward. He made it seem like Kennedy has developed a bad reputation around town as a micromanager and a nightmare to work with.

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    You're wrong! Kennedy is toast! Star Wars is toast! The fans are toast! Game over man! Game over! Excuse me but I am going to go play in traffic like Frogger!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.