main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Sorry to ask in such a blunt way, but does Doom have a story to build a game on? I only played the old ones, but they were basically "gate to hell opens, shoot demons" ... they had a cool atmosphere and were fun. But I can't remember any story.

2. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    @DarkLordoftheFins Well... In a way you are right, but the game I had in mind would start off more just before the gates open, and focus on characters from the new game.
    I would try and make it more of a story compared to the games.

3. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    I am not a fan of FPS at all, but this sounds as if it might be easier to sell as an original idea than as a DOOM game. If I read DOOM I expect to run through corridors and shoot things which might be a bit too little for a game.

But I would love to see space horror! A subgenre not represented enough around here.

4. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Oh sweet temptation ... some years back I had a game set up called Han Solo and the Mystery of Mestra. Had it all set and done and then DRL was winding me down (in a good way). After seeing the new Solo film I am really tempted to rename it "Solo - Another Star Wars Story" and post it. Really only needs one or two players to work (everybody willing to play a Wookiee is most welcome) ... of course I got Candlewood and love it ... but you know? A girl can dream ...

Mitth_Fisto and Kalio_Dynkos like this.
  5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    [face_hypnotized]

Ack! You tempt me so bad with that. I thought that was long dead. But if it came to fruition, you would make my day!

6. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    :cool: Bring it on! Seriously, I always loved the idea!

7. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
  8. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    Are people familiar with the WH 40K universe? I would love to start a game up which is set in the WH 40k Universe, but I don't know if people would be interested.

9. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    You mean Warhammer 40k? The one with the zombie-like God-Emperor sending the navigation beacon for hyperspace travel? Fascinating world, but not really "familiar".

Master Vo'Un'Var likes this.
  10. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    Yep, People wouldn't need to be too familiar with the universe, just have a basic idea

11. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    Here is a little part of the OP I wrote for the 40k game. (Beginning is a quote from the game)
    It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor of Mankind has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods and master of a million worlds by the might of His inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the vast Imperium of Man for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day so that He may never truly die.
    Yet even in His deathless state, the Emperor continues His eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in His name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst His soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defense forces, the ever-vigilant Inquisition and the Tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat to humanity from aliens, heretics, mutants -- and far, far worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be relearned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.
    [​IMG]
    Warhammer 40,000
    Dark Imperium
    It is the 41st Millennium.
    The Great rift has opened up, hurling the daemon horrors of the warp against the Imperium of Mankind.
    But a fleet of the DEATH GUARD, Fallen Space Marines who follow the Plague God Nurgle, Have launched an attack on the hive world of High Reach, The Adeptus Asartes and Imperial Guard lock this terrible foe in combat over the planet...
    DARK IMPERIUM - CHAOS

The Hive World of High Reach is under bombardment from the Death Guard Legion, Three Space Marine Legions appear to destroy the Death Guard, but the Daemon Primarch of the Death Guard MORTARION is with them...
    When all seemed lost, the IMPERIAL GUARD a.k.a ASTRA MILITARUM arrive on the doorstep of High Reach to assist the Adeptus Asartes...

12. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    I think a concrete scene would help ... throw people into that battle and show them what it is like! Also you will need to explain a little on character options here ... I would have a hard time coming up with a character right now. It is a board game in origins, so selling the RPing part needs a little more effort I guess.

13. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    That was just part of the OP, I am still working on character creation.

14. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    Ok, I have an idea kicking around in my head and don't really have time to run it but, to get it out and to confirm that no one will want to play this here it is.

No More Jedi​

It has been two decades since Darth Malum's War. A Force conflict that claimed billions of lives, ruined ecosystems and outright destroyed planets. After the war the people of the galaxy stood up, and in a loud voice declared:

NO MORE JEDI NO MORE SITH WE ARE THROUGH WITH ALL OF IT!

With the senate decimated in the war, seats were left open for Anti-Jedi candidates to win and take a majority in the Senate. Supreme Chancellor Annax Tig had no choice, the people were crying out for action, and if she didn't do anything, they would find someone who would.

This lead to what has been called the 'Malum Acts'.

First was the Republic Service Act, making it mandatory for all citizens of the Republic to serve in the military or civil service for three years once they've graduated secondary school. Early in school each and every student is subjected to a battery of tests to find which career in the military or civilian service would suit them best.

Second was the Force Sensitives Act, which labeled the Jedi Order a criminal organization and stripped them of any authority and rights. Any leaders were kindly asked to exile themselves, any knights were asked to do the same or join the Republic's Force Sensitive Corps. Any Jedi that refused either choice was thrown in prison for crimes against the Republic. Any exiled jedi that dared show their face or used their powers in public shared the same fate.

As part of the FSA, the tests used to sort children for mandatory service, also acted as tests for Force sensitivity. Those found to be Force Sensitive were sent to the Republic School for Force Sensitives. There they were taught to control and use their powers, not as some lightsaber wielding guardian or monk but, as a servant of the Republic with their only weapon being a blaster, if they use one at all. They are steeped in military tradition, in honor and service. Here the Force was a tool, nothing more. There was no Living Force , there is Cosmic Force there is only the Force.

Students at the school were divided into three main branches, Military, Medicine, and Agriculture. While each is expected to keep to rigorous standards only the Military branch that is sent to the Republic Armed Forces, the rest are sent to other assignments to finish their education and serve their time in the Republic.

Though it has been decades since the war the scars remain the animosity and fear towards Force Sensitives, the word Jedi is not used other than in a historical context, hangs over many parts of the galaxy like a shroud.

You are students of the 10th class of the Republic School for Force Sensitives, freshly graduated and heading off to your postings all across the galaxy. A galaxy that is still distrusting, still unsure of these new extraordinary beings.

This is your world, a galaxy without Jedi.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  15. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I hate to tell you this, but I rather like it. I wouldn't have time to play mind you, but I like the premise.

galactic-vagabond422 likes this.
  16. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
  17. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Love it. Totally love it. :D

18. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Can't believe I missed this at the end of this thread's previous page. Badass space marines knocking down the doors of hell and killing demons in ultra violent fashion? =P~ I would absolutely be down for that.

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @galactic-vagabond422 -- if and/or when your "No More Jedi" RPG gets rolling, tag me in. :cool: [face_laugh] (like I need one more RPG) [face_love]

Too much fun & gratifying to participate, blending SW features with stuff happening in RL as well in oppressive countries. :p

I will not say which one I'm thinking of... :rolleyes: but they keep passing crazy laws outlawing things that ARE NOT CRIMINAL Actions

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  20. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    Since the announcement of a new proper Elder Scrolls game, it's time we had a Tamriel set rpg here.
    Anyone interested?

21. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    No no, wrong Bethesda game. DOOM, DOOM! [face_devil]

22. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    I have been working on a DOOM rpg, writing ideas down here and there, but if people are actually interested and would play, I would definitely make one.
    And technically id software made the game, bethesda just owns id :-B

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  23. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    @Master Vo'Un'Var If you were to make one, I think it'd be important to emphasize that potential players wouldn't need to be familiar with the video game(s) in order to participate (unless you're wanting to construct the story in a way that they do, in which case I doubt the player count would be very large at all). You're a badass space marine stationed on Mars and you're gonna be doing some inter-dimensional demon slaying, what more do you need to know? Or they could also play as scientists or other employees of the UAC caught up in the hellish chaos. Plenty of potential for some fun scenarios.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  24. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Actually I believe if you read a game here is based on a computer game you don't know it is harder to sell, as if you simply put out a game loosely based on the world and plot.

25. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    I wonder if anyone would be interested in a classical apocalyptic survival game. A terrible disaster strikes, probably you do not even know what it is in the beginning ... and the survivors struggle to survive the afterwards. I imagine a very player driven game, where interactions and strategies to survive define pretty much the paths of the game. Anybody liking the idea?