main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Just got FAIRLY annoyed. Last night, I posted a link to this very random Harry Potter character quiz on Facebook and this guy who took photos at the local Star Wars event earlier this month appears out of nowhere to 'splain me. The discussion eventually turns into him telling me why fanfic sucks, in poor, broken English that's barely readable (but OMG, he's so cool!). He said that 80% of us are "SJWs who ruin it for everybody", denied the sole idea that there is good stuff, thinks that all fanfiction is focused on 'ships only and that, unlike cosplayers, we don't put any effort in it.

I think I want to sai cha.

2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    This is more of a trope pet peeve but . . . *sigh* Soulmate AUs/Worlds where you see the world in monochrome until you meet your Soulmate. How the heck would a world like that work if you can't see color until after you meet your Soulmate? It's stupid!

On the upside, you could wear clashing colors and unless the people around you have met their Soulmate they won't know that the colors don't match. On the downside, good luck telling a King Snake apart for a Coral Snake.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Well, I was very guilty of that.
    It was done. It was huge and had eaten up months of silly obsession.
    It was never meant to be the beast it became.
    And I just wanted it gone out of my head.

But no one was going to read 10,000+ words in one sitting. I know.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    gizkaspice likes this.
  4. SideZeo

SideZeo Jedi Padawan

Jan 22, 2018
    Main problem in other stories? Definitely unoriginality (I know, its a bit unfair because we're talking about Fan-Fics) but I always think to myself: why repeat what has already been done? You have the chance to make something entirely new, so use it... or at least don't blatantly rip off something else.

Though the biggest failure on my part is, that I always think up cool scenarios, scenes and character interactions, but they'll only turn up much later in the storyline. A dozen chapters down the line, while I'm still writing the prologue. With that, its often like I have my eyes on the horizon instead of right in front of me.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Take Harry Potter for example. I've read several fics where they add a sibling for Harry or OC in general and the story they do is almost 100% the same. A few chapters in is fine. Several years in? Nope.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  6. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Ewok Poet and Sith-I-5 like this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I have seen him do some other debatable things, which is the reason that I don't want to bother.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Let. The Record. Show. @Ewok Poet --- that fanfiction is REASON #1-100 why I still ADORE SW as much as I do! [:D] =D= =D= It's not just my head canon that's been affected. My heart and soul as well. ^:)^ :hera: :kanan: :zeb: :ezra: etc. ;) And that's even before we get into the indescribably well-etched OCs. [face_love]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  9. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    I get peeved at myself for thinking up about 200 stories and only 20 of them ever seeing the light of day...and of those, only 10 are ever finished. Also...rewrite-itis. I keep wanting to go back and 'fix' everything when it was loved and respected the first time around. I understand George Lucas' compulsion to keep tinkering long after the fact...luckily I don't have a horde of angry fans coming after me. :p

10. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ^I totally get the re-write-itis. It's usually only small things that probably no one but me notices, but it seems bound to happen after every post. But "Writing is re-writing" as they say.

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    My current FFPP is...

...me. I left only three comments in June, only seven in May and it's like my mind went blank around the end of April. I did write two stories...or maybe I didn't?! I don't even know. Either way, I need to be more active. This is ridiculous.

12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    One of my fanfic peeves, which I'm sure I have mentioned before in this thread, has resurfaced in the form of the Star Wars Fan Awards, which was announced today and which opens for submissions on July 18. The categories are videos (short or long), photos, and visual art—note which category is conspicuously absent. Yes, I know there are "legal considerations" and the like—but why do those legal considerations apparently not apply to the visual arts, too? It would be nice to see the official folks give a hat tip to fanfic; certainly there's a way they can do that without feeling any obligation to accept it as canon, or without the bugaboo of "they'll think we got the idea from so-and-so."

(Steps down from soapbox—and this is one of the few issues you will ever see me "soapbox" about here. :p )

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That upsets me too, Findswoman. It probably does have to do with copy write or intellectual property. I talked to the managing editor of the SW stuff for Del Rey at Celebration V about fanfic (I was introduced to her as one of the JCF fanfic mods and I was horrified because I thought she'd hate me right away) and she said she loved fanfic but she could never read any. She loved that it got people writing and that people enjoyed things so much they wanted to write their own stories, but the risk was too great to read it. I assume it is something along those lines.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  14. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    This has always bothered me. One is in visual form, the other in written form---the same legal considerations should apply. I'm not sure if comic SW artists are actually allowed to view fanart though (I'm guessing yes?)

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    It could just be that visual works tend to be more generally appealing and quicker to process. I don't really blame them for limiting it.

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    In terms of legalities, there's a lot more grey area when it comes to plagiarizing stories as compared to visual art and the like. I mean, visual art also has a ton of grey areas, but written stories even more-so. Like there's a TON of amnesia fics out there - does that mean they all plagiarized each other? No, but if two stories are remarkably similar, then you start to get suspicious. At what point does "inspired by" become copying? It's why NO one official will touch fanfic with a 10-foot pole. Doesn't mean they are against it... but, yeah, legalities.

And I instantly thought of Togruta's point as well. Fanfic can take a lot of time to consume. I (accidentally) stayed up 2 hours later than I meant to Sunday night because I got sucked into a fic and wanted to finish it. Not sure how long the "long" fan-videos are, but probably shorter and easier to consume than an epic 50-100k+ word story. (edit: yeah, just looked and the long videos can be "up to 5 minutes" - average reading speed is 200WPM - that's only a 1000 word fic).

I'm not saying it's fair that we get left out, but I do understand the reasons.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Logs in.

41 notifications. Some of them could be calling me out because I've been a slacker.

Anxiety kicks in.

Just...don't. :( I already go through self-blame too much. :p

#epproblems #petpeeves #neverforget

Findswoman likes this.
  18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Here’s one that isn’t calling you out except to say that I’m glad to see you here, EP. @};-

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  19. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, I know that I do not have the creativity and imagination to create purely my own stuff; that's why I base everything in existing universes, environments, fandoms.

Faux "target audiences" are a peeve. The "if you do this, I will be there" demographic, and then no sign of them when you fulfil that.

I'm confused how some people claim to get lots of notifications, eg. EP above; while alerts are known to expire after a few days.

20. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    It’s quite possible to get a large number of alerts, especially if multiple posts in a long story thread are being liked by a reader. It’s happened to me before too.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Lady_Misty and Findswoman like this.
  21. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    They do expire, but I noticed that when I check in after a long time away from the boards the notifications will indicate I have 5 alerts but when I click on the alert tab nothing shows up because they have since expired.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I had all 45 right there, available to read. None was missing.

Never teach a fish to swim. :p

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Since the previous post was not about a pet peeve...

#56676789: No descriptions in thread names.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Tarsier and Togruta like this.
  24. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    One of my personal FFPP is when your Muse would rather work on new fics than your ongoing projects and won't fully cooperate and won't focus on the here and now.

I talked for hours with my sister about a potential crossover and we discussed what Era the fic would fit the best in despite a PT Era originally being the character they were going to meet and interact with first and I realized during it that would need a lot of brainstorming, planning and possible sectioned into parts that detail what's happening to A Group, B Group, C Group and this other character. But then my sister and i always discuss fan fiction when we talk

PCCViking likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    #76789908089 Letting interpersonal conflicts which I don't even want to bring up with people who offended me last month impact the way I deal with everything here. I can't talk about what I learned to love dearly? Okidoki, no cookie for you. I wasn't even doing this on purpose, but looks like my mildly negativistic traits are of the subconscious kind. :_|:_|:_|

I can't fly without wings. :( Nobody of my kind can.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018