main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Lucasfilm Need New Leadership?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Rickleo123, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

2. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Poe and Finn where just a idiots in the film. Poe could not see beyond his nose and Finn was just a stumbling bumbling sidekick.
    I am particularly annoyed at Finns portrayal if anything.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Jedi_Fenrir767 and oldtimefan 2 like this.
  3. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I think that's called a character arc?

I mean, by the ending, Poe is given control of the remaining Resistance forces, and Finn is entirely willing to make the final sacrifice for the Resistance, even though he's stopped.

4. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Well maybe we just have to agree to disagree on that. I think they could have had there arcs written better, specifically finns.

oldtimefan 2 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was annoyed with both Poe and Finn’s arcs as well, not only that they were made into bumbling laughing stocks who needed to be lectured, but that they were made into the stereotypical portrayals of the “hotheaded Latino” and the “dumb black sanitation worker”. That wasn’t feminism though; feminism does not subscribe to the belief that all men are dumb and bad and need to be set straight, only that men are not superior to women and women do not need to “know their place” or “be put in their place.” Kathleen Kennedy does not subscribe to the belief that men are dumb and bad either; if she did, she’d hire a female director.

6. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Actually I agree. I know it was not real feminism, real feminism would have had both strong and developed male and female characters

As for . Kathleen Kennedy I don't really know her enough to make any assumption on her beliefs.

Jedha and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  7. oldtimefan 2

oldtimefan 2 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    I tried to force myself to like TFA but I just could not.
    Rogue one came out and I though great things are looking up.

The thing LFL need to understand is that box office failure is on them.
    The Last Jedi sucks I have not met anybody who liked it.
    All LFL can do is call fans trolls racists and sexist.

People hated TLJ and Solo has suffered the backlash.
    Solo was not a great movie either I have not pre ordered it like I did all other Star Wars Movies.

People have picked on points they disliked in these new movies but to be honest if there was something to like in these movies people for the most part would overlook these faults.

Star Wars an all time classic.
    ESB even better than the first.
    ROTJ has some silly moments but the space battle and the duel are epic.
    TPM we all know Jar Jar and so on but we got the Duel of the Fates duel the pod race epic visuals that expanded the scope of Star Wars.
    AOTC first hour drags and the editing is a bit choppy but I still really enjoy this movie.
    ROTS I totally loved this movie from start to end new worlds and monsters the duel the space battle order 66.

Rogue One serious tone for a Star Wars movie which I loved Jedda City an epic space and ground battle a sad and epic ending.
    There are threads on this site asking is Rogue One the best Star Wars movie so it is not just me.

Rogue One also had a diverse cast and a female lead but she was well written and the cast was fun and it was sad to see them die as the end.

The other 3 Disney Star Wars movies what is to like in them?
    This is a serious question apart from Rouge One what have the new movies added to Star Wars that would please old fans like me or casual viewers?

The First Order Empire 2.0
    Snoke Emperor 2.0
    TFA A New Hope 2.0
    Kylo Ren has a cool looking sabre and mask not much else not nearly as cool as Vader or Maul.
    What happened the Republic?
    How did the First Order look just like the Empire that had been gone for 30 years?

Getting to read this week what Lucas had planned for the sequal trilogy sounded really interesting and his movies would have had something to say.

My intention is not to cry or troll.
    I hope LFL can learn from the backlash of TLJ and the flop of Solo and give us a couple more good Star Wars movies.

LFL are saying the fans are trolls racists and sexist.

The fans are saying their new movies suck.
    The fans also don't like to be insulted.

Jedi of Baker Street likes this.
  8. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I like it.

A lot of other people on here like it.

A lot of other people dislike it too, but it's disingenuous trying to portray any of the new Star Wars movies as universally hated.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn’t like TLJ, but a lot of people did, including many that I know personally and online.

Jedi Knight Fett and Outsourced like this.
  10. oldtimefan 2

Dec 27, 2017
    To me the Star Wars Saga was groundbreaking exciting exotic visually stunning and compelling.
    To me TFA TLJ and Solo all totally missed the mark.

I am not trying to win an argument here you and others enjoyed the movie that is fine many including me hated it.

I loved the six movie saga and Rogue One I am expressing my opinion as a fan since the box office disaster of Solo.

I do not make up my mind not to enjoy something I was really looking forward to TLJ.
    I was disappointed.

I am using this forum to express my opinion on what I liked in Star Wars in the hope that LFL can put out another Star Wars movie that I really like.

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    You're free to express whatever opinion you want as long as you stay within the ToS.

But your previous comments on the subject are filled with things I find objectionable. The insinuation that "fans" hate the new movies, that they're universally panned, and that the poor box office performance of Solo somehow validates your opinions.

That is what I have issue with. Like or dislike the new movies. I'd love to discuss their successes and failures with people that have different views than me. But I'm not in the habit of allowing broad statements like "Fans don't like the new movies" to go by unchallenged.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Agreed. Nobody here speaks for “fans” or has any business claiming to do so. We each speak for ourselves regarding what we like or don’t like.

13. oldtimefan 2

Dec 27, 2017
    Fans don't like the new movies is correct.
    I said fans not all fans or most fans I said fans.
    And vocal fans at that.

Another thing these are movies that I really use to enjoy but they are only movies I am discussing entertainment.
    We are not talking about serious personal family work economic or health issues.

The thing missing on these boards is it is hard to put across the tone of a conversation in the form of text.
    If this was a face to face we might have a laugh and a joke the movies are only that movies.

I just don't like the new ones and Solo did not have poor box office it flopped it lost lots of money.

We are not in a court this is meant to be a fun and friendly discussion I am expressing my opinion on the movies but that is all they are.
    Even if I thought TLJ was the best thing since sliced bread I still have to get up for work in the morning and pay bills.;)

14. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017

What... Is any of this?

Look. It's obvious we both care about these things. Or else we wouldn't be posting on this board. So let's cut the "It doesn't really matter" rhetoric, because then there wouldn't be a point in talking about any of this. We're all here because it matters to us.

And it matters to me that we don't have harmful rhetoric circulating within the fandom that I spend time interacting with. The kind of rhetoric that you've been very persistent with here.

"The fans are saying their new movies suck"

This isn't a statement i misinterpreted, even though you seem to have gone the route of portraying it that way.

Like I said before, you're free to think what you want about the new movies. But engage with others in an honest way, instead of whatever it is now.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. oldtimefan 2

Dec 27, 2017
    I do not wish to upset other fans I do not enjoy these new movies maybe I am getting too old.
    I love Game of Thrones and letting those guys have a shot at Star Wars might just be the kind of movie I will enjoy.

I loved the prequels.
    The hidden Sith Lord running bolt sides of the war behind the scenes.
    How much did the Jedi know did they suspect old Plaps.
    I enjoyed the politics with Count Dooku getting the banking clan onboard to finance his war.
    The senate showed how the Republic worked or did not work.
    I also enjoyed seeing cities and large populations in Star Wars.

I like what I have read about the Lucas treatments for Episodes 7-9 but maybe others would not have enjoyed them.

I suppose you can't please everybody all the time.:)

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You’re not required to enjoy the new movies. Criticize them as you see fit within the bounds of the TOS.

Just don’t claim to speak for other fans. Saying that “fans” don’t like the new movies can be fairly construed that way. “I don’t like the new movies and I’ve met many people who agree with me” would be a fairer statement.

Jedi Knight Fett and Outsourced like this.
  17. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    I've been curious about this for so long. It'd be cool to get some actual numbers on how the new movies are adding to the lower part of the slope and the tail. I assume that if enough happy, engaged new fans are spending more and more to the point where it's guaranteed they'll make up for the loss of some of the disgruntled, big $ spender older gen, then it's all good. But is it happening?

18. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    I think, from my view it' very 50/50.

Yes Far from saying all fans hated or liked it.
    But extremely devisive.

And I don' think a film of a major, mainstream franchise should of been allowed to be that devisive. Cutting the fan base in half is dangeous from a buisness standpoint. Very dangeous and puts the franchise at risk.

Hence why I think LFL needs the fear of God put into them by Disney so they don't tank the starwars franchise.
    Maybe not sacking KK but I would not be surpised if one high ranking members head doesn't role. Very likely I see Rian Johnson getting the boot as he is expandable from a buisness point of view.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with you to a point, but I’m not sure any of the new films were deliberately divisive other than The Last Jedi. And I think its standing will be determined by how IX goes.

Jedi Knight Fett and bmickey like this.
  20. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    I dont think rogue one or solo where devisive.

The force awakens was always going to divide fans. Nothing even JJ could do to counter that.

I dont even think The last jedi was meant to be devisive , it just turned out that way with sloppy writing and Rian Johnson just not knowing starwars that well.

21. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I think it was the other way around. RJ made a film that was very much his movie. It was going to be divisive because the was the driving force behind it as writer and director. The Force Awakens was meant to be a largely enjoyed crowd pleaser because it was the first movie and Disney needed to show everyone that they could make a decent Star Wars movie.

22. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    If so it was a mistake to do so on the main trilogy.

The main trilogy they should probably play safe.

Now the spin offs? I think much more creative freedom is fine as if it does go wrong or it' divisive there is less damage.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and bmickey like this.
  23. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    That's fair. It's why I think it's good that they're bringing JJ back to wrap the ST and giving RJ his own trilogy to work with. If he can do his own thing from start to finish, and not be constrained by the expectations of the ST, I think we'll end up with something that's received much better.

SithLordDarthRichie and bmickey like this.
  24. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    As much critism as I have thrown at Rian johnson for TLJ I am willing to keep a open mind on the new trilogy.
    With it being set with completel new characters and in a diffrent part of the galaxy his creativity would floursh far better.

Actually the idea they have the last jedi to someone else in the first place puzzles me. With a trilogy I would think it better to keep with the same producer and director for consistency.

25. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I think the original idea was to bring in a new director for each movie. But then Trevorow got canned and they needed someone to fill in for the last movie that they knew was reliable, so in comes JJ.

I like TLJ a lot, but I agree that the trilogy would be a lot more consistent if JJ just did all three.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.