main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #26-31: The Awakening (6/6 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by iPodwithnomusic, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Curious, what makes you think this?

2. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    You guys read the August solicit? “This is the beginning of the end.”

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Until it says 'final' issue, it ain't over.

Even then, it may not be, cue, Jammin's nightmare [face_devil], Volume 2!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm beyond excited to see Black Squadron's search for allies in issue #30. If they run into a New Republic task force, I'll probably die of delight.

--Adm. Nick

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't you mean it'll wake you up from your coma shock of Star Wars #49?

Revanfan1 and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  6. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    That Rey/Poe on Kylo interaction is... um... huh. I mean, first of all, it's not even accurate. Rey had her mind peered through on Starkiller, not Ren's ship. Second, why the hell would anyone make light of that, regardless? Seems incredibly tone deaf. That just starts giving credence to the "it wasn't really all that bad" argument if they're gonna sit around and make it a joke.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So it sounds like the full version of the "torture buddies" conversation is even worse than the preview? I'm really surprised by this as it just doesn't sound like Soule's work.

8. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I do not think it is bad, I make jokes about bad things that have happened to me all the time. It just makes you feel better and not so depressed or mad over whatever situation.

Kylun, panki and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Oh I have no idea, I just read the preview and thought it was immediately strange.
    Thats not quite what I'm getting at. What I'm saying is that there has yet to be a consistent tone about any of this. Film Rey doesn't seem to be all that bothered by Kylo (which while weird, is kind of in keeping with Star Wars heightened reality and lack of consequence for most actions). This comic Rey seems quite bothered by the ordeal, describing it as torture. Which is then turned into a joke?

Lucasfilm needs to settle on a tone for this and stick with it. As it is, I really have no idea how Rey feels about anything because it's never consistent.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like the "torture buddies" bit because it's an immediate facepalm from Rey and Poe kind of knows the joke was in poor taste after he said it. Not EVERY joke has to land because it's been rewritten and focused grouped for maximum quippage, sometimes you just strike out.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Kylun, Senator Wan, Jedi Ben and 3 others like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks Al, that sounds more encouraging.

I'd like to give this series a go, if Marvel were to put out an OHC....

12. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I wish they’d just tell us if the series is ending after #31, it’s annoying to keep having to speculate based on bread crumbs.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  13. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
  14. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    Twelve X-Wings has always seemed a bit minimalist to me.

Dialogue in TFA - “That’s half our fleet destroyed”, shortly followed by the incineration of Ello Asty’s fighter. Given there’s 7 X-Wings escape at the end of the fight, that would put us at a minimum of 16 fighters. I know we only see 12 on screen at once... has anyone counted how many we see being downed during the battle?

Still, that aside, I’m really looking forward to it. The writing has been great on this series and I love the art.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think the series is worth a read, but its quality has not always been the highest. I think there have been a lot of interesting ideas and worldbuilding tidbits throughout it, but the actual storylines and characterizations haven't always lived up to it. The opening story arc is a good example - the stuff around the cult worshiping a giant alien egg was an interesting setup, but it felt kind of tedious and disjointed reading it.

I do think the most recent storyline before the current one was a highlight, by far the best in the series and also the only one of the series that I felt matched the old X-wing comics, which we were all hoping the Poe series would be a suitable spiritual successor to.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The X-Wings novels and comics with Wedge are the best. Poe Dameron is okay, but that other series is tops, canon or no canon. Still, I hope that this series ends with issue 31 and come out with something different. I feel that this series has been just .....there. Towards the end, its got better but I could do without it.

17. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Speaking of Wedge, it is quite obvious that Poe isn't the narrator in this retelling of the assault on Starkiller Base. My theory is that Snap might be telling his stepfather what was going on. [face_praying]

18. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I hadn't noticed that, but yeah, it isn't Poe narrating, and they're talking to another "survivor" of the war who's an inspirational legend to fighter pilots, knows what it's like to take on a Death Star, and knew Han. Wedge isn't a bad bet -- and having Poe and Wedge meet up would be a lovely way to tie a bow around the series... but it's probably someone else, right?

19. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I'll have to go back and see who might end up be narrating it at the end. Of course I still havn't gotten my Poe #26 so I think it might just be time I get it off of Amazon instead of waiting around for the comic shop to get it. It also could be Jess Pava narrating. As far as I know she was there for all the battle scenes from TFA as well.

Edit...….just ordered it. More expensive than just waiting around to get it from the comic shop but the show I am ordering off of amazon right now is on hiatus and won't be back on until August so my money on my gift cart would have just been sitting there for a few months anyways.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    By my count, an "inspirational legend" who's taken on a Death Star and knows Han has to be either Chewbacca, Wedge, Lando, or Nien Nunb. Nien was at Starkiller Base, so that rules him out. Chewie was also there, technically, so I doubt it's him, and it's even less likely to be him if it's Snap talking. So that would really leave either Wedge or Lando, unless there's someone else I'm missing.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It'll be some nobody.

In homage to its source material, you'll all speculate, get your hopes up and then it'll casually dash 'em against a rock and laugh, like really laugh, like the Emperor.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Let's call him "Larry."

23. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The narrators will end up being two drunks living in a desert.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Well Poe #26 and #27 have been Poe recapping the story to Rey and Finn. Finn leaves to check on Rose in #27 I believe so it's just Poe and Rey for the rest of the issue. Leia pops in so it should be another survivor on the MF that Poe is talking to, right? Wedge isn't with them. Unless they finally reach some sort of destination and they're meeting up with more survivors as the opening crawl of this comic suggests.

25. jeykey

jeykey Jedi Master

Jun 27, 2013
    it's actually R2 & BB8 chatting.

Dawud786, BigAl6ft6, Jedi Ben and 3 others like this.