main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Have you bought the new stuff? If not why not?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The Ganner, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    I’ve read all three Claudia Gray books. I like them all quite a bit. The TFA novelization was not very good. Tarkin was decent but probably my least favorite Luceno work yet. I tried to read Lords if the Sith but was not into it all all. Not well written in my opinion. Aftermath, I couldn’t even get past the first few pages.

I would say that only the Gray books compare to my favorite EU novels so far.

2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I actually went all in on new EU, and after several years of books, I'll be frank. Not much of it has been worthwhile at all. The "adult" books I've read have done nothing for me. I remember being STOKED to read Heir to the Jedi, and if I'm being honest, I don't really remember anything that really happened in that book.

Now, I don't blame it on the authors mind you. I blame it on the fact that the books seem... stuck. None of them are allowed to tell important stories the way the old EU books did.

I just bought some of the new comics, and I've thought those were pretty good from what I've read so far.

SnubJockey likes this.
  3. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    Yeah. For all their talk about creating one canon to rule them all, Disney's Canon outside the films has been very underwhelming thus far in many aspects.

I agree on the Marvel comics. I love the Darth Vader and Aphra series'. I've only read the first volume of the Star Wars main title comics. They are decent. But I'm not a fan of Luke and Vader's confrontation early in the series.

Gamma626 likes this.
  4. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Publishing is the one area where I am an unabashed completist and have kept up with the books and comics. Not always "twitterpated" about the story lines but am interested to see where it all goes. Looking forward to see how they backfill the period between ROTJ and TFA.

5. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    They already have covered some of that time. Aftermath trilogy covers the first five years and the transition of power while the new republic tries to get established. The other end of that time is being covered by has Bloodline and Phasma taking place in the range of 5-10 years before TFA. The last major piece is the Poe Dameron Marvel series the leads is leading directly into the beginning of TFA. So that’s about 25 years between the major content they have buffering the end of ROTJ/beginning of TFA. There are actually some really good short stories scattered throughout this period in time (SS’s have predominantly been a strength for the new canon). I think you’ll see this era be covered with the newer style comics and JR’s aimed at kids. That’s their primary market while the movies are being released. They know we fans will see them, so what they’re most focused on is ensnaring their ‘fanbase’ (which you could also call their ‘market’ or ‘consumers’) for the next 20 years. Since Rey, Fin, BB8, Rose and that squad are who they best familiarize wit, we will probably see this period predominantly covered with those characters backstories in formats aimed at younger kids.

I am not loving how they are backfilling the gap between the OT right now though. The Star Wars Marvel series started off strong, but it’s getting the the point of fluff just to have events covering it. Once Vader disappeared from interactions Doctor Aphra served as an interesting crossover of characters. But lately its been a line of stories of narrow escapes while the three stars (Luke, Han, Leia) all pull in different directions. I don’t necessarily mind the stories. It’s a nice read every few months when a TPB comes out. But the fact that they have been so cautious with the novels and their ramifications led one to hope the comics were already planned to cover some big stuff. So accepting this, I hoped for awhile they would start printing novels and other stories aimed at the older generation of fans in time spans farther away from the heavily trafficked 60 years between TPM and TFA. We have known the heroes of both wars for 20-40 years at this point. Send our generations focus elsewear if you;re going to litter and cram the main timeline with with 8 different formats and adaptions of every movie to best entice each age group of kids. I have been disappointed to realize they are in no hurry to brake outside the timeline constraints of the movies. At this point I want to yell at the story bored that Star Wars has a canon history dating back thousands of years. They may have made the stories legends, but stuff like Pelagius, Bane, Mandelorian Wars, heck I’d even take some stuff focused on the jedis right before the republic fell. Like these are all things mentioned in movies and what not so they’re canon. All that they need to do is determine the writer that best suits the story. Oh well. Even when it came to the OT, instead of giving us a new take on our favorite childhood movies with quality novelizations... they instead opted for watered down Junior books (like 190 pages compared to Del Rey adult novels about 450) with cheesy names, I guess they did this so this generation of kids would have an alternative to a film trilogy they might struggle with due to the considerable difference in graphics (compared to what they have always known).

All that said I do read the new canon. But I have to strain a lot of their content aimed at kids out. I actually like the novelis for the most part, just think they could be stronger if they didn’t have so many kids stories littered around their feet while they try to navigate and still comply with the goals of the new canon. I do wait for the paperbacks though. I’ve always been a hardback guy, but I;m not chasing down 150 dollar issue of Tarkin Hardback and being happy to get a deal (most listings are closer to 200$). Some of the comics are good, and the short stories too. But in timeline that is literallly WIDE OPEN to EPIC proportions I get frustrated that my favorite content (novels) are paying the price for an overcrowded 60 year period they are determined to stay locked into.

Sorry the post got a little long. I usually post on the New Canon literature board where I travel tried to stay optiomistic, but I wondered over here amd my frustions all manifested once I started typing haha.

firesaber likes this.
  6. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I like the new stuff quite a lot and have purchased a few things including Ahsoka, From A Certain Point Of View, TFA, Forces of Destiny vol. 1 and the first three volumes of TPB each for Star Wars and Darth Vader comics, including Vader Down. The Vader series is excellent, imo.
    Also the films on blu ray, of course, and Rebels Seasons 1-3 as well. Most recent purchase was The Last Jedi Visual Dictionary. Excellent book!

I was underwhelmed by TFA novel, but really enjoyed the novella at the back featuring Bazine Netal. It is called The Perfect Weapon.

Master_Lok likes this.
  7. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    After seeing the Last Jedi... I now have negative interest in Disney stuff.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  8. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I'm adding From A Certain Point Of View to the Bloodline + Catalyst list of good NEU novels. I also got Canto Bight - some stories are better than others, but it's a good amount of worldbuilding for NEU.
    Having loved the Tico sisters in TLJ, I also eagerly picked up Cobalt Squadron, but that sadly turned out to be a bit of a filler (can hardly remember what it was about). So yeah, a reminder to thoroughly study the reviews before buying SW books. I blame the new movie hype. :p

9. Taral-DLOS

Taral-DLOS Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2009
    I've been buying the novels, often as they come out, but will on occasion wait until paperback release. I'm reading them on a bit of a delay though (I'm in the process of doing a chronological read-through of Legends stories, and I intersperse New Canon stories so I can keep on top of new books).
    I loved the Claudia Gray books. Managed to even get Lost Stars hardcover in a clearance sale. I love how each of them offers a dichotomy where both sides seem valid and makes you think (in Leia, Princess of Alderaan, it was whether Leia and her parents have the moral responsibility to stand up to the Empire, or as rulers did they have the moral responsibility to stay quiet and keep their people safe? Would the people of Alderaan be alive if Bail and Breha had left well enough alone?)
    For comics, I buy them digitally, almost always on sale. Occasionally I'll just read from the library though.

10. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I've scored everything that has come out to date as it has come out but I agree about flushing a ton of "history" away and it hasn't sat well with me. I remain optimistic for now as I'm always happy to have new stories and share them with my sons.

11. SkywalkerShine

SkywalkerShine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2007
    I've recently bought Star Wars: The Essential Reader's Companion and Star Wars Insider #57 from Amazon. *whispers* My love for the EU will never die... Anyway, I'm so happy to have bought these. I saw the Canto Bight and Last Shot and wanted to check those out. Not much of a reader for the recent movies but I'll give them a chance.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Nom von Anor likes this.
  12. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    These days MOSTLY T Shirts and Sweatshirts, cause I can wear them and they are practical. I have quilt covers etc as well. Old and practical these days. I do get the odd piece. Picked up the Fate of the Jedi Series at a second hand store for $26 and got a Jaina Solo figure a couple weeks back.

SkywalkerShine and Amon_Amarth like this.
  13. Benster7703

Benster7703 Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2018
    Claudia Grey is one of the stand out authors of the new Canon, so I’d recommend picking up anything by her. TFA was my first Star Wars movie, and the novelization was my first Star Wars book. Bloodline was my first real adventure into the wild world of expanded fiction, and I read a lot after that. Haven’t read a lot of new EU stuff recently, but I’m getting into Legends.

14. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I had to get the Black Series Jaina too, even though don't really collect figures. I love how Hasbro gave her a bit of a Harrison Ford smile and Carrie Fisher's eyes.

SkywalkerShine likes this.
  15. NewApsolon

NewApsolon Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2018
    I don't own or buy any of the new disney stuff. I'm only really into the EU and there's still plenty of content for me to read and watch.

16. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Any particular reason why?

17. NewApsolon

NewApsolon Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2018
    For me the EU just has so much more depth to it. It feels like a living, breathing galaxy, whereas the disney universe feels a bit stale and cheesy (I strongly dislike the new movies and plots). There's so many EU novels, comics, video games and more that it feels never ending, which is how a galaxy should be. It's true that the EU has had way more time to develop compared to the new canon, and we'll see how the new canon continues to unfold over the years, but I don't like the direction disney is taking SW right now.

18. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    The Disney sale served as my wakeup call to stop being completionist about franchises, so unlike the old EU, I've been picking and choosing. I ignore stuff that looks like it exists only to advertise the movies (the "Journey to" stuff.) I pick up some stuff based on personal interest (Ahsoka, Dark Disciple, Sith Lords) and on occasional word of mouth (Lost Stars). I've had pretty good luck with this approach. Enjoy them a lot more than the last few years of the Legends EU to be honest.

I've ignored the comics mostly but I was never a comic person even with the old EU. (Though I did scoop up the Omnibuses after the sale. Enjoyed Dark Times in particular.) The NEU comics cater to fans of specific characters so that makes it rather easy for me to pick and choose, though I dislike the "favored class kid" atmosphere that promotes.

My care factor about "canon vs. non-canon" would look puny to a midichlorian so I'm not bummed about the EU's "Legends" status. Every time I walk over to my bookshelf, all my favorite EU books are still there. The old EU had outlived its welcome with me in those last few years so I'm not bummed about no new content being produced for it.

19. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I largely agree with you, but Leia, Princess of Alderaan and Phasma are both very good if you get around to them. Especially LPOA. Just a fantastic book.

20. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    I have brought, thrawn, Tarkin and few other books.

Avoided the aftermath books after I read the first chapter in a book store. It was like a 3 year old had written it. [face_sick]

21. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Despite your well known single chapter disdain for Aftermath, I do think both the second and third books in the series are fairly good.

The first is... Meh.

22. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    I am a very busy man with a career. I have choice wisely what I read. I read the first chapter or two to decide.

It was the first new books of Nu cannon. I wasn't happy that they choice to trash the X-wing and Zahn books for the post endor break down of the empire for that. It was aexample of how Disney threw out perfectly good parts of the EU with the bad.

I would of just thrown out the post thrawn series stuff which would have still given the writers of the new trilogy the same room to operate.

My opinion of course.

23. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    I read almost all of the "new rollout" of books that came out in 2014/2015, most during that excitement period leading up to episode 7.
    • A New Dawn- enjoyed 3.5/5 It's probably because of this book that I like Caleb/Kanan and Hera so much, but none of the rest of the mains in Rebels
    • Dark Disciple- it was okay 2.5/5, actually there were parts of this book I hated
    • Tarkin- Tedious 2/5
    • Lords of the Sith- it was okay, but far inferior to "Rise of Darth Vader" 2.5/5
    • Heir to the Jedi- I dunno. Most of these books were enjoyable enough to read through 2.5/5
    • Aftermath- 1.5/5
    • Life Debt- Didn't finish, can't rate
    • Lost Stars- Didn't finish, can't rate
    • Bloodline- I think this came out later. I did not like it, but didn't finish, and can't rate. I have the ebook and audible version, and still have no interest in going back to this FSR.
    I've read a few sporadically since then. I enjoyed "Catalyst" and would give it 3.5/5 stars along with the Rogue One Novelization which, when combined with Catalyst, makes for a very interesting story.
    • Catalyst- 3.5/5
    • Rogue One- 2.5/5
    • Catalyst + Rogue One- 4/5 stars
    Oh yeah, at some point I read Ashoka, and very much liked it. It reminds me of "Kenobi." I'd recommend both.
    • Ashoka- 4.5/5
    • (For comparison)Kenobi- 5/5

I read the TFA Novelization, which was okay, but it (and I could be wrong)seemed to be an almost word for word adaption of the screenplay, and I recently listened to The Last Jedi (Audible) instead of seeing the film.
    • The Force Awakens(Novelization)- 2.5/5
    • The Last Jedi("The Expanded Edition")- 2.4/5 [face_shhh]

Edited to add: So yes, I bought many of these in the beginning, but am now comfortable opting for an occasional Audible Token, or nearly free ebooks, if there is something that interests me. I don't feel like I'm very invested in this new universe. For instance, I probably had a big aversion to "Bloodline" because of what I've come to know of Han and Leia through all those books from 1991-2014, and I can't really set that feeling aside. Most of these books are competently written, some even approach inspiring, and a few which I won't name are very poorly written; but take that opinion with a grain of salt, as I obviously couldn't personally do better.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  24. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Yeah, recently I stumbled upon it on sale, and I tried a couple of pages but couldn't get passed it so I didn't get it. Too bad, cause I found Admiral Sloane intriguing elsewhere and would eventually like to see more of her.

25. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I bought the popcorn bucket and insulated drinking cup at SOLO, was only $10 more for it and the bucket is metal with a seal-able lid. I'm happy!

Christus Regnet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.