main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. Tal0nkarrde2

Tal0nkarrde2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2018
    Not a stickler for typos when there are one or two...when there are a bunch, I scoff at the editors. :rolleyes:

Xander Vos likes this.
  2. Tal0nkarrde2

Tal0nkarrde2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2018
    Here's the finished review - tell me what you think: http://www.g-pop.net/swlastjedinovelization.htm

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  3. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    I could not stand the movie.......but I am a big fan of Jason fry......

Does he bring a new perspective to the film that may be worth a read?

4. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Read it and find out.

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    In my opinion, he doesn't. It's not a comment on his skills as a writer, the film writers wrote him into a corner. I didn't really like his portrayal of Finn and Rose and their relationship. I found it to be a bit too adversarial at first and Rose came across as a bit too verbally abusive towards Finn.

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  6. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    And here comes TLJ haters (the same ones who have abused and death threatened creators and actors).

7. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I really don't think @Vialco has verbally abused anyone, or sent any death threats. I don't agree with him on a lot of things, but that doesn't make him a member of the vocal minority that have been harassing people.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  8. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Right now, in my mind, anyone who speaks ill of TLJ right now are poisoned by the behaviour of a minority. I will bite back at anyone who speaks ill of it at the moment.

9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It's very nice and all, but that's not a rational attitude.

10. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    The Last Jedi novelization is awesome. The extra details and dialogue are great. I like it and the Revenge of the Sith novelization quite a lot. Although I'm halfway through Rogue One, which is so good, so far. Current fav, even though haven't finished it lol.

Valency Jane likes this.
  11. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    That why I am thinking of the TLJ book. I am wondering if the extra details will make the story more palatable and have more sense than the film was.

12. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Falsely accusing Litizens of reprehensible behavior and bannable offenses just because you're actively choosing not to differentiate between people who dislike the movie and the spiteful reprobates seen elsewhere online ... how on earth do you think this ends well, either for you in specific, or for those of us who like the movie in general?

13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    That's some really sloppy and lazy thinking. I'd argue as bad as anyone who has engaged in harrassing minority actors. I really liked TLJ, but an ocean separates not liking a movie and hate speech.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Nom von Anor, Vthuil, jSarek and 9 others like this.
  14. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Sorry, the frustration gets to me sometimes. I apologise to whoever I offended by putting them in the same category as the ones who have made death threats against Rian Johnson, Kathleen Kennedy and Kelly Marie Tran.

Outsourced likes this.
  15. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    I will counter this...

I think it's a great novel and Fry made parts of the movie I didn't enjoy as much way better.

16. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Man, I really need to get my hands on this novel. The only other film novelisation I own is Revenge of the Sith.

Valency Jane, Jedi Ben and PCCViking like this.
  17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    If you only had to own one so far, that would be the one to own. :D

Valency Jane and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is good.

But, you didn't use to be this way Noash. Clearly, something changed. Was it TLJ? I don't know.

What I do know is the "TLJ problem", reduced down to its essence, is nothing more than a difference of opinion over a film. There are entire forums proving that it's not just you having difficulty with this. That there are people going around using it as excuse or warped justification for harassment is crazy, but I can only really be responsible for my own posting / online activity.

(For myself, I don't really get the problem with other people not agreeing with me so yes, it is a mystery to me.)

Vialco and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I think there's always the temptation to see other's agreeing with you as validation (or "proving" yourself "right" to those who disagree with you as validation). There's also the little detail that some of the more vocal critics have been the ones who seem to be trying to prove some kind of agenda or their own prejudices. That easily triggers people to disprove that and I think it breeds the us vs them thing ("if you don't agree with me, you're against me and wrong and I must shut you up"). While I think anyone who crosses the line into bad behavior (e.g. bullying, harassing, etc.) should be called out, the end result is a very toxic situation. Personally, it's reaching the point where I'm starting to think that being a part of the fan community is not a good thing.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    This sounds too sensible.[​IMG]

21. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    It's an interesting sign of the times. Everything is "polorizing" or "divisive" now.

And people now just pick a side and agree with whatever people say that is part of "their side" often irregardless of what is being said.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The age of the internet: if you don't show a strong opinion, no one will care.

Revanfan1, Jedi Ben and Vialco like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think it's definitely one of the main drivers of the TLJ controversy.

I'm not convinced, however, the solution is to cede the ground to these people, though I recognise engagement with them can be draining.

24. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Yeah, I don't know how to handle it. You have groups, like Comicsgate*, who are nothing less than cyberbullies and demagogues hurting people to advance their own bigotry and agendas and seem to be able to spin both people speaking out against their cruelty and people ignoring them as momentum for moving themselves forward. What do you do? Keep shining a light to show the truth about who these people really are, which they seem to use as fuel for their martyr complex? Leave them alone to spread their hate but hope that they're burn themselves out? I don't know.

*I understand that Comicsgate is not the same people as the toxic Star Wars fans (although there is some overlap in membership and complete compatibility in terms of ideology and methodology of the two groups). It's just the most high profile example I can think of in regards to fandom hate groups and how they seem to hang on despite what the facts show.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Over in Coop's Ignorance is Bias thread, I suggested they might very well be the same people under the term of 'intersectional trolls'.

Idea being that trolls don't tend to stop attacking, they just go in search of new targets so video games, diversity in comics, diversity in SW - these individuals might well end up going from strand to strand.