main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I have insufficient privileges to post?!?!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by bluealien1, Apr 1, 2018.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The forums are completely locked right now, for everyone. They will be re-opened eventually.

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Thanks.

It might have been a good idea to explain within Chrous' post that the forums are locked for everyone for 24hrs to force people to read the post as it really isn't clear what's happening.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    An easy way to determine whether or not the forums were only locked to specific users on some sort of list would be to recognize that there has been absolutely zero activity by anyone in the forums.

But overreacting is kinda the entire problem in a nutshell.

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I did notice that I couldn't see new posts since yesterday but as I've never experienced being banned or had any posting privileges revoked from any forum here in 17 years I didn't know whether that was something that happened when your posting privileges were revoked (like the forum would become private if you can't post to it)

When you see the message

(You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)

You do worry.

A simple paragraph at the start of the post explaining that the forums have been locked down to force everyone to read the message would have been helpful.

Having said all that (so on to the substance rather than the procedure) I do agree with the thrust of your message. I was shocked by what happened to KMT and I do hope we can all move ahead with more civility from here on.

I know I'll be doing my part to try and raise the level of the debate from just having a slanging match with "the other side".

Time for the fans (whatever side of the debate they are on) to clean up our acts methinks.

5. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    To be honest guys, I have a lot of respect by what you do here in JCF, I always say this is one of the very few forums I visit in which you can always find a mod online. But this thing of locking the entire boards based on the reasons you are saying...

No question fandom is divided. But it is likely it will remain like that. With this in mind, I believe the best practice is what you guys have been doing, showing the exit door to the trouble makers and encourage good behavior.

IMHO, this is excessive.

6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I hadn't been on here for over a week so it was quite a surprise last night, the inactivity was only a few hours and as it was only for the new film era threads it became obvious. I guessed it was some sort of "cooling off" period, but I think it needed to be more clearly explained for those who were unaware of any escalation of hostilities that had occurred in previous days and weeks.

There is absolutely no place for any abuse of anyone on here, I was unaware it had escalated as I've only really pondered around the Anthology threads more or less for the last 2 or 3 months because of the nasty atmosphere where grown adults behave like children throwing their toys out of a pram. Hopefully we can get back to some sort of normality but I think that will only occur when the troublemakers are banned.

7. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    Ok, thank you for pointing me to the post. Most of my contributions to the New Films forum have been about Leia surviving EpIX.

8. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    I too was unaware off this escalation, i completely missed the harassment of Kelly Marie Tran.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    First of all, I'm saying this only as a former New Films mod ("Emeritus" means retired, people :p ). But this situation in the New Films forums had become so excessive, and the environment so toxic, that the mods apparently felt that a strong response like this was warranted to get everyone's attention. I agree with them. "Showing the exit door to the trouble makers and encourage good behavior" is the normal practice, but this needed to be a step above that.

10. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Oh, did not noticed you were no longer part of the staff, congrats I guess ;). Seriously, I do get how annoying it must be for the people in charge of making this a reasonable place as a whole, but I am also skeptic about the effect of this measure.

At the end of the day, IMO, it is only going to be a matter of keep banning the problematic members, as sad as it is.

EHT likes this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This measure has one sole purpose: To alert everyone that the actual measure will be enforced.

None of our regular contributors are going to be able to say they somehow missed the warning when they find themselves confronted with the "You Are Banned" screen. Locking forums for a handful of hours? Not the point. Everyone seeking out the reason why the forums were locked, only to discover a glaring declaration that they will no longer get away with acting as they have?

The response has confirmed our suspicion that we clearly have gotten their attention.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    For the record, the admins agreed with this action. Something needed to be done and this seemed the simplest. (Just so you know, one of the suggestions was to treat those forums like the NSA forum - you'd have to request to be allowed to post. That suggestion is still on the table if this doesn't work.)

13. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    You mean request prior to each post? Or having each post screened before it’s posted?

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
  15. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    I totally missed this thread. I thought I did something wrong, and I've never been banned from any forum, so it sort of took me by surprise. I haven't been on for a few days, so I didn't realize the "NEW" posts I was reading were from days earlier.

16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I thought that too lol.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You would request posting access to the forum as users do now to post in the No Spoilers Allowed forum. There'd be some kind of policy statement in the first post that you'd have to agree to by requesting posting access.. If we were to do that we could retract posting privileges for problem users. ( In that case you'd still be able to read posts, just not write them)..

Like I said, this is still on the table as granting the access would mean more work for us. We'd like to not have to go that route.

18. DominusNovus

DominusNovus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2017
    A mention in that warning post of whats going on would have been helpful. As it is, all that does it shunt the question over to this thread, which accomplishes the same thing. People see they can't post, see the most recent post is that big bright warning, read that it starts with something like "No posting for anyone for x hours/days/weeks/months/years" and get the gist. Not saying they'll like it, just saying that the information will be in an official location, as opposed to us wondering whats going on, and having to deduce from "we're cracking down on incivility" that that also means "everyone gets a timeout for awhile."

G-FETT likes this.
  19. Jim Ryalto

Jim Ryalto Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 21, 1998
    Why are you being passive aggressive about this? You're mods. Just clearly state your intentions. If the boards are locked for a period of time, say so in the main post.

G-FETT likes this.
  20. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Kind of the same story, popped by, noticed the privilege suspension but saw a lot of "Unread" notices ^^' I'm an Aspie, and wondered for a moment what I had done wrong without understanding it... :p

I would second suggestions made to add, at the very top of the announcement posts, a bolded message stating that the board in question is currently closed, and for how long if that has been determined. Discovering one is subjected to a suspension of privileges without a clear explanation that they aren't targetted personally, but the entire board is closed, with no mention in the post they have been referred to for explanations, is going to make a lot of people question themselves, and can even be anxiogenic to people who won't really have done anything wrong.

21. Jim Ryalto

Jim Ryalto Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 21, 1998
    Also, I don't know if the software supports it or not, but it would make far more sense to require the mod post be read before one regains posting privileges. There are people who don't visit the forums every day. By never saying what the purpose of the post is, it could be entirely missed by someone who took a week off from posting.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If we go the way of having users sign up to post in New Films, something like that agreement would be in the first post of the signup thread.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    The purpose of the post is clearly stated in the post.

"Stop being a self-important sanctimonious ***hole toward other people or you will cease to have access to post here" was repeated in multiple ways.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm glad the mods are doing this. The ST forums were getting so toxic with the constant negativity and fighting. I can't wait for it to come back, so I can continue to make terrible jokes and get lots of likes post meaningful topics for discussion.

25. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Here, have your bloody like ;)

Django Fett likes this.