main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I have insufficient privileges to post?!?!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by bluealien1, Apr 1, 2018.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    People seriously just need to use the Ignore User option a lot more. It's like you're Thanos snapping your fingers and they're gone. Or, hell, it's even better than the Thanos snap because he just made them dusted afterwards, with Ignore User you literally erase them from existence for all time, everywhere. It's fantastic.

Jedi Knight Fett, Krueger and Erkan12 like this.
  2. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    @anakinfansince1983, I never said people shouldn't express dissatisfaction or that there should be a rule to only celebrate SW. I was expressing an opinion that I think this board tends to focus on the dissatisfaction more than the satisfaction. And that I prefer to celebrate it.

And while you have not seen posts stating the person hadn't seen SW, I have. I am not referring to people who haven't seen Solo or didn't like TLJ.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's really quite simple -- the expectation is that users will be civil: in their discussions with each other, and their discussions about others.

That's not a high expectation -- it's the minimum expected for participation on these message boards. In the past, when the prequels were around, the board moderation was much more draconian than it is now. Moderation differs across the different forums -- lighter in the community boards, heavier in the film boards -- but it's still, as a whole, light touch.

But that light touch depends on decent behavior. It's not a lot to ask. Social media these days is full of vitriol and outrage, and we're just not going to do that here.

Nobody has to change their views on anything -- just the way those views are expressed to others. Unless the views in question are hate speech -- in which case the person expressing hate speech simply is not welcome here.

4. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I didn't see what they said about that specific movie actor / actress or anyone before. I see the forum rules are clear.

You can always warn the people who are not following the rules, (in this case I guess it's the rule number 1 and 2) then you can ban them if they are still not listening. This is the benefit of the forums, you can spot them and you can do something about them, you don't need to blame all people just because of some.

If this is going to take the attention of some people, it certainly did. But to people like me, who never get banned before or warned, not sure what we should do. I think it's better to make more open warnings on the threads so people can understand better what they shouldn't do. You're simply punishing other people who are not doing any wrong on the forums too, if you want from us something, such as warning other people or report them when they aren't following the rules then we can do that. Other than this, I don't understand why we can't post on the threads too.

If this is about administrators and if you guys are bored and if you don't have enough time to make enough moderation on the threads, then I can understand that, and I recommend you need to take more moderators to keep the forum civil.

Lordban likes this.
  5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    What about when people are not just uncivil but downright nasty, offensive and maybe even bullying in YJCC?

Again just throwing this out there for discussion and consideration while we're having this candid and important conversation about standards on these Boards.

I think it would a real shame to let this opportunity to build something better pass us by. We're all (I think) in agreement that standards in the movie forums need to improve... But we've got an opportunity (maybe a one-off opportunity) to cast a light on all corners of the JC here...

Let's raise standards across the Boards. Starting with YJCC.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Jedha likes this.
  6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I think this has probably been a good time out for many of us to be honest.

My only concern would be coming out of this time out would be that with this “shorter leash” that anyone who was previously seen as a “gusher” (me for example) or a “basher” (I won’t assume here) is going to be assessed in all disagreements or discussions very differently. More on disagreements observed in the past. Less on character, civility or content in the present.

COD’s post is pretty clear that it shouldn’t necessarily come to that but the examples cited also take both ends of the gusher & basher spectrums to the extremes and it’s there where I don’t feel I personally exist despite several assertions from others to the contrary.

In this post, for example, I share 27 ST criticisms in detail.
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/st-criticism-discussion-thread.50049419/page-2

There’s no doubt that I enjoy these films more than many here but posts like that also show that I am probably further from being incapable of criticizing these films, or accepting criticism of them, than whatever current narrative surrounding me might exist contrary to that.

I created a thread for the sole purpose of people to share the best contrary opinion they’d heard that made them really stop and think. People enjoying the films shared more of the most valid criticisms they’d read than those opposed to the films did the opposite.

Which sort of gets to the heart of the matter in a way. Being a fan of these films opposite significant hatred makes the enjoyment seem almost over the top in a way. Part of it is countering the hate itself I suppose. It creates almost a false equivalency on the observed extremes “on both sides.”

I, personally, can, have & would like to continue to criticize these films. Despite the label I may have & the passion I have in general for things I enjoy in life, I’ve developed respectful & constructive debates around topics with posters like Godisawesome, Ahsokasolo, JoJo, Anakinfan1983 & many other Sanctuary posters. I hope to continue to find new ways to listen, and engage respectfully with people who see the films differently than I do because I do believe it is possible to agree to disagree but to have some interesting discussions along the way.

So, my only concern is that even respectful disagreement from anyone who’s been labeled as gusher or basher in the past (especially when a disagreement seems to involve one of each) will be graded differently and less on the merit of the actual content in the posts themselves.

My hope is to be especially careful to make clear that I am open to discussion and do a better job of trying to highlight where I believe common ground may be found, or where I can appreciate how someone else may be seeing things. I’m also going to try to be less smug in the face of smug, sarcastic snark, or angry, borderline bashing, that feels like baiting, or arguments I’ve heard before ad naeseum and will no longer feel the need to constantly address. Rather than escalate conflicts I will try to descalate more and/or agree to disagree & exit those discussions & use the report function if it seems appropriate to. I hope to assume less & ask genuine questions more. I hope these efforts will be noticed. I hope these efforts will combat whatever narrative for me might exist and I hope it allows me to engage with people who are known to have different views than mine without both of us being separated with bans before we even show where a discussion could possibly lead.

The presence of my criticisms for these films & past history of being able to engage with many who see the films less favorably, including many Sanctuary regulars, shows that I may not be the gusher extremist some think & I’m especially interested in talking with anyone else on the other end of this spectrum who might be seen as “banshees” but who remain optimistic on some level & who like more about the movies than whatever narrative about them might suggest, & those who have shown they can also engage with people who more frequently posted in that “list what you love” thread as well.

I will confirm something though. I do type too much! That much is very true!

7. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    @Ender_and_Bean built a text wall and expects us to read it! :D

I read it. And love it.

8. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Most "gushers" acknowledge that the ST and specifically TLJ is divisive, far from perfect, and that people have every right to hate the films, or not enjoy them. Any piece of art can be criticized and it's up to the individual to interpret the art the way they choose to. That being said, us "gushers" come to this site because we're fans and this is a fan site. I think lumping "gushers" and "bashers" into the "both sides" are bad paradigm is wrong.

9. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
    I think lumping "bashers" or "gushers" in with legitimate attempts at critical analysis is also wrong. (critical does not mean "negative"). I may not agree with someone who appreciates TLJ, but even I can recognize someone who is truly wrestling with the art and trying to explain why they like it.

Critique is a detailed analysis and assessment of something, especially a literary, philosophical, or political theory.

However, remembering that some people for whatever reason may not be able to express themselves beyond the visceral, " I hate" or " I love it"

I thank the mods for having the patience of Methuselah

10. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    That's a part of what I was trying to say and did say, which goes back to how sometimes there's a backhanded comment from some even when in agreement.

11. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    My philosophy here is this -

Does that conflict with JCF policy?

12. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
    I am sorry if you construed that as "backhanded" maybe if you want to spin it the other way, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. To imitate someone is to pay the person a genuine compliment — often an unintended compliment.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    From my observations, very few of the people here who love these movies (be they TLJ or other new films) are truly "gushers"... most that come here are open to constructive conversation with anyone that wants to discuss with them, even if the other people did not like the movie in question (or at least disliked parts of it and want to discuss those points). And of course there are many on the other "side" who are not truly "bashers" either... there are many who don't like the movies but are open to friendly and constructive discussions with others about them. However, IMO, there are simply more true bashers than there are true gushers here lately... when you look at the extremes of the spectrum, the "negative" end is much more weighted. So I think that trying to find a balance between them is easier said than done... there may not be a balance to be found when true bashers are not interested in constructive discussions or a friendly forum atmosphere.

14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I agree that all debate should be civil and respectful. But while there are points to be made, in some ways whether you like a movie or not is instinctual. Like comedy. You either think something is funny or you don't. If you have to break it down and say "I should have laughed at this joke for this reason" it is a bit futile. So you have people on either side who have their feelings about a particular film and probably will not change them. That said debate can be fun.

Jedha likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It doesn’t leave much to discuss in that intervening 18 months or two years.

16. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    There's always the next round of Werewolf :D

(Do they still play Werefolf over at the JCC? :p )

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Haven't seen a Werewolf thread there. I know they also used to play Mafia but that was some time ago.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    ... Damn, my memory was bad enough I forgot it was Mafia and not Werewolf :p

In my defense, I paid attention to it more than fifteen years ago :D

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    We do Survival Battles now. They get vicious.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I actually really like Kemba Walker and would want him on my team. :(

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I cringe every time I hear talks of trading him; he needs to stay. But in that particular Sixers game, you were still correct.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    He’s awesome. Very underrated PG in the NBA due to the amount of quality PGs at the position and the point forward guys who function the same way. Strong analytics for a guy that takes on as much usage as he does. Has become more efficient over time. Used to chuck a little too much for my tastes when he first came out of UCONN but has matured. The thing I like about him most though is that he isn’t afraid of the moment with the shot clock winding down and he can generate his own shot. He’s also a very underrated out of position shot blocker for a small PG. 0.4 blocks per game over his career so far. Not many small PGs can boast better than that.

Given the lack of high end talent in the league that also has size I am legitimately wondering if my Raptors could get by with a Kyle Lowry & Kemba Walker PG & SG combo where DeRozan would move over to small forward. Kemba would be undersized at SG obviously defensively but he’d also have a speed edge on any SG who guarded him. With the Warriors so dominant I think other teams need to get more creative with lineups and maybe go small. Talent in a lineup has a way of offsetting size limitations, IMO, on the defensive end. People always assume a 2 x PG lineup willl get backed down & posted up but it doesn’t seem to happen as perception would suggest when teams do go small temporarily. Usually with a 6th man scorer coming in to play alongside the starting PG (Lou Williams for example).

23. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    So, apparently all SW discussion has now ceased on a SW site.

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not all of it - it's just the New Film boards that are restricted. The Saga, PT, and CT boards are open.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is why I rate him so much higher than many more "public" guards. Westbrook doesn't impress me when he takes 40+ shots per game to reach 45 points.