main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo User Reviews/Reactions for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 22, 2018.

?

Did you like Solo: A Star Wars Story?

1. Yes

89.5%
  2. No

10.5%
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I don't think he necessarily went to hyperspace during his Academy days, but he almost certainly went to hyperspace between Mimban and Vandor...May not have been in the cockpit, though.

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes, I'm pretty sure we're supposed to infer that he wasn't in the cockpit.

3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I thought it wasn't that it was his first time seeing hyperspace, it was his first time traveling in the Falcon. He was flying through space in the ship he'd already fallen completely in love with.

4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Seems unlikely that he'd never gone to hyperspace before when he is so knowledgable as a pilot.

5. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    That's also a possibility. But that seems unlikely to me, as he's clearly impressed with the view rather than the MF's abilities. And the movies make hyperspace look pretty much the same from each ship. But, maybe.

His flying experience up to that point may be limited to short-range ships, flight simulators, and flying as a passenger in an area of a ship where you don't get the hyperspace view. We don't know.

6. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    I don't think it was his first time in hyperspace, but it could very well have been the first time in a long time that Han went into hyperspace as a free person.

He's now on a mission of his own free choosing....in the cockpit of a ship he's beginning to love.

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Actually, I don’t think it was his first time viewing hyperspace as he makes it clear to Lando that a hyperspace jump is not a big deal (unless he’s faking it).

Count Yubnub and TCF-1138 like this.
  8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    You're right, we don't know. I just don't think he'd be as skilled and quick piloting in the Maw without real world know how.

Han has big dreams and a future free life envisioned for himself. What I think we're seeing in the Falcon is Han the closest he's ever been to those goals. He is literally and figuratively in the cockpit of his own destiny. He's not at the controls yet, but he is there. All the pieces are coming together.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I believe a large part of it is that we are meant to infer that... while he has certainly experienced space travel before... as a poor, grunt-level "passenger", he has never been in the driver's seat to witness it from the driver's seat. I've flown in planes hundreds of times but I would probably be squeeing if I experienced it from the pilots' cockpit.

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    @A Chorus of Disapproval

Exactly. But since we don't know the full details of Han's past flying experience, we should declare this a glaring plot hole and get really angry at Lucasfilm about it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  11. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Han's first time in hyperspace was in the book Most Wanted, that is set before the prologue even. It's an adventure of Han and Qi'ra in Corellia when they're part of the White Worm gang, and they have to learn to trust each other to get out alive of a bad situation. They end up having to help some very rich person if they want to stay alive, they go to space in this person's spaceship and have to make a quick hyperspace jump to escape, but Han is not the one doing the piloting. They go to space, but never to another planet.

Twain likes this.
  12. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    I have to disagree with you on both the "flop" definition and the quality of the movie. To me, a "flop" has to involve a massive loss of money, far more than any that Disney has undergone in regard to "Solo". And, as for the movie, I found it the reverse from "forgettable". Rather, it reminded me of what "Star Wars" was back when I was a kid in 1977: a fast-paced, fun adventure story. It really took me back to those days, and that's one reason I enjoyed it so much.

13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I don't know where you took your personal definition of "flop", but I can tell you that in the list of the box office bombs (=flops) there are movies with losses inferior to the ones of Solo.

14. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    IF this evidence from the film settles the question on whether Han has experienced the view of hyperspace out of a cockpit window, THEN this mobilizes in the viewer a superposition of the sensations you have when you are
    A) behind the wheel of your dad's / family car
    B) behind the wheel / shotgun in a friend's car / peer's car, that is *more your style
    C) behind the wheel of your *own car (which may or may not be of your style)
    Han is technically experiencing B. Because this is a prequel, C is under the surface. A is also present since 'my dad used to work on these'.

This moment is the bookend / opposite polarity to Luke's experience with the sunset.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Solo's not a "flop." The broadening use of that term is part and parcel of the incredibly harsh social mediaverse we live in, where the slightest things are elevated to near-catastrophes. It's a minor loss that Disney will absorb, learn a few lessons from (likely and appropriately about longer marketing windows), and easily move on from. It's absolutely not a flop.

TOASTEROVEN, wobbits, SunStar and 5 others like this.
  16. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It doesn't seem a fair discriminant to me. Disney could absorb basically everything. I mean according to your definition it is mathematically impossible for a Disney movie to be a "flop" in any circumstance.

17. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    The problem for Disney I would say is perhaps moreso whether Solo wasn't just a one off error but actually represents negative feeling against the franchise as a whole post TLJ.

Honestly my feeling about the film was that it was the first Starwars that was just OK, prior to this the films for me have all either been excellent(the OT and Rogue One) or very significantly flawed(The prequels and sequels). I don't think there was much in Solo that really failed for me yet there also wasn't really anything that really stood out besides perhaps the design work. Elements of it did feel like they had the potential to but didn't IMHO get quite enough focus to.

If the above idea of negative reaction to TLJ is correct then I think it was rather unlucky myself, I feel its the kind of film that would have successfully carried along positive hype ala the lesser Marvel films but wasn't quite good enough to turn around negative feeling.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    AplagueOnTheWise and Darth Smurf like this.
  18. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    The biggest flops/bombs of all time have lost between 90-150 M$.
    Depending on what Solo's actual budget was and what its final gross will be, the loss can be in that ballpark.
    Say 400 M WW and a budget of 250 M and figuring the usual 2X the budget will give a loss of about 100 M$.

That is a lot.
    That Disney the company can deal with it does not change anything.
    Warner Brothers could handle the loss that JL caused, didn't cause people to not call it a flop.

Disney could handle the Lone Ranger and John Carter, both had losses of about 100 M, each.
    Didn't make those films not flops.

As for Solo, to me, it felt a bit of "Hey want to see how Han met Chewie?" Or "Hey do you want to see how Han won the MF?"

It felt like ticking boxes and showing us stuff that we had been told about.
    It was done well and the film is fine but it didn't have any real moment that grabbed me.
    The battle at the end of R1 grabbed me and made that film much better.
    It was memroable.
    Solo was just fine. Entertaining and pretty good performances but nothing really memorable.
    And I felt that Lando was a bit wasted and the film made him seem rather useless.
    The actor did well but the character was made to look weak and made fun of.

But that is just my opinion.
    Bye.
    Old Stoneface

3sm1r likes this.
  19. Herald of Mandos

Herald of Mandos Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 1, 2018
    Guys... do you really think refusing to accept the standard definition of a common term will fix anything? Come on.

3sm1r likes this.
  20. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    I feel like Solo was a swig of the strong medicine needed to get the bitterness of Ep VIII out of my mouth. This was a Star Wars movie that FELT like a Star Wars movie. Even though I'm a huge Jedi/Force fan, their absence here didn't bother me at all. This was the time of outlaws and and crime lords, when the Empire was running wild and causing havoc and misery throughout the Galaxy and Solo showed us how dreary that world was for a couple of kids who just wanted a little piece of the galaxy for themselves. Loved the performances. R1 never really grabbed me as much as it seemed to with other board members. Having watched a lot of regular war movies, it didn't really seem like an admirable comparison to movies like Platoon, Saving Private Ryan or Fury and I never got much time to really give a rip about any of the characters before they all got wasted. But Solo gave a ton of great outlaw style action: You got double crosses, an amazing opening heist, the noir style bar meeting with Lando and the phenomenal showing of the Kessel run. All of the characters felt distinct and even the minor ones grabbed my attention and got me to enjoy them for the little time we have. Rio was a loss as he was probably the most fun member of Beckett's gang.

wobbits and Twain like this.
  21. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016
    I thought it was ok.
    -ves:
    Chase scene at the start didn't work for me.
    Droid rights & the slave revolt, I found both of these way too unsubtle.
    The droid/Lando relationship thing was just too weird.
    The winning the Falcon at Sabacc could have been executed much better, & why have two scenes?
    The cameo
    +ves:
    Chewie taking the co-pilot's seat even brought a tear to my eye
    Plot twists
    Han shooting first
    Emilia Clarke-didnt find her acting wooden at all.
    Harrelson's performance was convincing for me

& expected better dialogue & development of Han's charcater from Kasdan

22. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    No more than going overboard, as some have done, in suggesting that one movie's performance can derail the entire cinematic franchise.

I think "Solo" may end up as the "Star Wars" equivalent of "On Her Majesty's Secret Service": a franchise entry that, while not performing up to expectations initially, is looked upon much more favorably in later years.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  23. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Fortunately, Solo, as part of the Star Wars universe, gets a sort of insurance buffer via merchandise that most other movie flops don't get. Even if the merch sales don't set the world on fire, they will supplement the income in a way that makes the financial situation more palatable.

24. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    On the noir front, I rewatched Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity and Casablanca, to make sure certain parts of SOLO:ASWS had sympathetic resonance. I wish Alden was more hard boiled and capable of... je ne sais quoi, not necessarily depraved indifference or malice. Little more edge, little more grit. Less teddy bear fur. Bogart was mid 40s, MacMurry late 30s and Ford mid 30s. It may be that what I think I want cannot be, in a 25 year old character, else you get something on the order of a remorseless psychopath like.... say... that new character in one or two of the new movies. I don't want that in the theoretical platonic solid of Han Solo. Little more man with no name.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    To those who really liked Solo, it's time to accept that the film is a box office failure, which is defined by it's failing to turn a profit or break even. It doesn't mean that the film is bad.

To those who DIDN'T like Solo, stop hurling the word "Flop" around like a weapon, because you think it validates your opinion. It doesn't mean the film is bad.