main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Lucasfilm Need New Leadership?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Rickleo123, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    To get back to the original topic, I don't think it's the right time to change direction, if only because PR-wise, it would send a disastrous signal off LFL employees and a significant bit of the mainstream media taking very harsh words to people who disliked the recent works, and not all of those were racists/sexists/reactionaries/homophobes and have been hurt by that. Disney are committed at least until the dust from IX's theater release settles, and a change in leadership now would completely undercut the divisive stance that's been taken on top of already divisive content (and cuts into the people currently supporting them), but would happen too early to get people who were hurt by their stance to feel placated enough to let bygones be bygones.

TL;DR: Better to wait until the financials for Q1 2021 are in. By then, money will have spoken loud and clear enough to know if there's a change in direction needed and why, and it won't come in the middle of a trilogy arc and off a very divised fandom.

2. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    She lied to George's face. So... yes.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If Marvel can plan ahead with movies, I don't know why Lucasfilm finds it so difficult
    It would've been fine with different directors if there was an overall story arc they all agreed upon from the start.

I don't mind JJ but he's too safe and his movies end up as nostalgia driven remakes. I don't want OT 2.0, which JJ would have given us if he'd made them all.

4. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Here may be some insight into Disney's plan and thinking. Posted this in another thread but that was locked.

I definitely believe that merchandise sales is a factor in what's going to happen with whatever is going on between Disney and Lucasfilm.

eko32eko7 and Tython Awakening like this.
  5. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Here's a good video on what's currently going on:

Theo333 likes this.
  6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Yeah, no.

Literally look at... Any video he puts out. It's a Disney Star Wars hate channel.

7. Ichor_Razor

Nov 6, 2004
    You must be thinking of Geeks & Gamers, Alex Becker or Ethan Van Scriver's/Comic Arts Pro Secrets since StarWarsOnly is far from a Disney hater. Hell, he's just as critical of Lucas & how he handled the Prequel trilogy (AOTC is a film he doesn't even like along side TLJ) just as he is with Kennedy & how she's running Lucasfilm but without being a total a-hole about it.

Most importantly of all: He hates the many extremist fans of Star Wars like many of us do.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He lost me when he made a video calling Forces of Destiny “feminism” and calling TLJ “liberal propaganda”.

And “the last Jedi no female fans edit”? Really?

9. Ichor_Razor

Nov 6, 2004
    The video about Forces of Destiny being "feminist" wasn't so much a complaint as it was fact that it was predominantly female in the 1st season (the video was made in July of last year) & he also calls out the outrage of anti-feminist/sjws while understanding there's a demographic for young kids, little girls in particular, of which such a thing as that is for. I will concede that he considers TLJ liberal propaganda which isn't quite the case but even so, he doesn't necessarily believe that there's this SJW takeover of the franchise either; rather, the problem he sees & correctly identifies is a problem more-so with PR management at Lucasfilm as stated in the video I posted up top.

Oh, & about that "no females edit"? Though he liked some of the changes, he still considered it blatantly sexist, didn't really see a point in making it & thought the people making it were being pathetic, as well.

10. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Don't mind as long as we enjoy star wars.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Fair enough. I’m not much for watching commentary video; I prefer to read.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ichor_Razor like this.
  12. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    10 minutes of rambling commentary laced with profanity, quoting conflicting articles, and fan speculation.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  13. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
  14. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
  15. Theo333

Mar 29, 2011

Lucasfilm definitely needs new employees.

16. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    She's a writer for StarWars.com and not really a leader of LF. Her last article was on March 6th.

Fairly well-written stuff. That tweet and its thread, however, are just dumb.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Valid point though.

LFL doesn't owe fans anything.
    They don't have to make things "the way we want", just because you buy something doesn't mean you get a say in how a business operates.

18. Theo333

Mar 29, 2011
    She's regurgitating what any 5-year-old can understand.

Boy, they better pay six figures for this woman's social media PR insight.

19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    But they don't own them either, without them it will get dark at LFL

Yes I (or the fandom as such) do have a say, because if I do not spend my money there, there is no need for the business.
    You don't run a business by yourself, do you?
    I can tell you that there will be always 5-20% of people unhappy about whatever, let's say a movie. You can ignore them
    If the ratio becomes 35%+ and the business is not limited by space (like a restaurant) you should start to listen.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    If I buy an iPhone I don't have a say in how Apple runs.
    It just means I like their product.

Success is a two-way thing. Yes we buy what LFL produces, but they make what we want which is why we buy.
    Lucas didn't create star wars to give fans what they wanted, he made something & people liked it. If anything fans owe him.

And plenty of fans like what is currently being produced.

21. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    The points about not owning Lucasfilm or the franchise are valid, though so obvious her pointing it out doesn't make it remarkable.

The rest of it is just arguing semantics. There is a producer/consumer relationship between a movie studio and those who pay to view their movies even when the specific monetary transaction involves a third party (and in some cases it doesn't, such as purchasing the movie for home viewing directly from Disney).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  22. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Actually buying something is our say.

You vote with you money. You don't like a direction a company goes in then you stop buying there products and if enough people agree they either change the buisness direction or go bust.

Ichor_Razor likes this.
  23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    This is true.

But that doesn't mean they have to listen, or that they have to "do things the way fans want".
    A lot of fans have stupid ideas.

Voice your displeasure by not giving them money, but don't start online campaigns & post hate towards people involved in the projects as a bunch of so-called fans have done.

psyarg likes this.
  24. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Online petitions and campaigns are fair game. People have the right to band together and have there voices heard.

Threats and personal attacks at staff and actors? No that is wrong.

Ichor_Razor likes this.
  25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    What about campaigns to have the Last Jedi remade?

You don't like something? Deal with it.

I don't much like the Prequels, I don't insist they get remade.
    Just that they make the next ones better.

psyarg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.