main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    It's an ensemble cast, but she's not the titular Supergirl if that's what you're asking.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    We’ll it’s great that one of the main characters is LGBTQ.

I am on board with outright having a gay/lesbian couple who show there love in a similar way to Kanan and Hera or even more obvious then them.

Jedi Princess and cwustudent like this.
  3. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Indeed! I'm not good at subtle. *adjusts crown* :p
    Well done, internet.
    [​IMG]

4. sharasbeys

sharasbeys Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 10, 2016
    Surprising literally no one who knows my posts from the sequel trilogy diversity thread, I read Zeb and Kallus's epilogue scene as being romantic. I'd love for some actual confirmation from Filoni and co., but that's looking less likely and so I've switched my hopes to a more direct confirmation in the inevitable tie-in novel we get about them. It did seem a bit rushed since Zeb and Kallus haven't even spoken since The Honorable Ones but as others have pointed out, there are literal years in the show that we don't see where a relationship could have developed.

I do think they need to take an official stance on whether or not it's a romantic or platonic ending at some point though, because leaving it as a "oooh it might be representation!" type thing is kind of awful - fans have been asking for LGBT rep for years now and having the only onscreen couple just be left up to interpretation is not chill.

cwustudent likes this.
  5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Didn't you see Alessander nearly have a heart attack when he thought Zeb was in trouble? [face_love]

cwustudent likes this.
  6. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    They've been texting off-screen.
    [​IMG]

MandaloreRex2015 and sharasbeys like this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Spoiler alert it’s a surprise.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  8. sharasbeys

sharasbeys Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 10, 2016
    @DarthBreezy how could I forget that? [face_love] trust me, during the entire finale I kept yelling whenever they'd stand next to each other or glance at each other - because I thought that was all we were going to get from them. (I've been a shipper for a while, can't you tell?)

On a more serious note, Filoni finally gave an interview on the Zeb/Kallus shipping phenomenon. On the one hand, he definitely uses the word love to describe how they feel about each other. On the other, he says it's entirely up to interpretation. So I guess this means that we can't celebrate having LGBT characters actually onscreen now, unless Word of God changes at some point. Here's the interview for those who are curious: https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-r...&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  9. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    I guess that's sort of what I expected - neither a confirmation or a denial. Given that Dave Filoni very firmly debunked the idea of a Sabine/Ezra relationship in the last Rebels recon, he could have done the same here....but chose not to. Which certainly says something.

But I understand and share your frustrations over the canon limbo.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    MandaloreRex2015 and cwustudent like this.
  10. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Not every close male relationship has to be something homosexual. Not that there's anything wrong with a gay couple or that I would be opposed in this instance (though a digitigrade purple dog monster and a human is a bit weird for me but whatevs). I think its important to be able to show men (or any other character) being compassionate, caring, or loving towards each other without a romantic subtext. I think part of the problem that Filoni mentions with regards to men afraid of showing their softer side to each other is because any kind of such compassion is often assumed to be due to some kind of latent eroticism. Which is unfortunate. Platonic relationships are important part of life too. Not everything has to be characters shacking up.

Oryx-I, MandaloreRex2015 and MrDarth0 like this.
  11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Unfortunately, it seems that over all Star Wars fans aren't exactly.... 'enlightened to subtlety' - Seriously, there are people out there convinced that Kanan and Hera were platonic friends (until that kiss) - Hell, some are even convinced that Jacen may be either adopted or some form of genetic manipulation.

Sex between consenting adults of the opposite gender is hard enough for them to grasp - Love and sex between the same gender? It makes their heads explode....

12. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    You say this as if we have never seen a platonic relationship in Star Wars before.

13. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I'm happy they left Zeb and Kallus's relationship somewhat ambiguous so viewers can interpret it whichever way they like....some can see it as the ultimate forgiveness and redemption for Kallus who finds a home with the very people he almost destroyed....others can see a happy romantic future for Zeb and Kallus.... both interpretations make me very happy. :)

MrDarth0 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  14. RexExLiberi

RexExLiberi Jedi Knight

Jan 17, 2016
    And this is precisely why people who have a problem with this have said problem. People watch SW to watch SW not to hear characters discuss what it is like to be non-straight.
    Straight characters (and people) never just sit around discussing what it is like being straight, it is a non-topic.
    Plus sexuality never was a huge part of SW, in 10 movies we have like.. 3 confirmed couples that actually shape the plot?
    SW is an action adventure series, not a sitcom, not slice of life and not romance, characters' sexuality is only relevant when it leads to the next plot point and then it is forgotten until it is needed again.

MaciekRS likes this.
  15. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    Personally, I'm against the Zeb/Kallus romantic angle on the basis that no matter how much that person may regret it or wish to repent, it doesn't strike me as plausible that you can enter into a romantic relationship with someone who was an active participant in the attempted (and for the most part largely successful) genocide of your people. It just doesn't ring true.

To me, that pairing feels more like a response to the shippers than something that evolves naturally from the story as we see it play out. I would say someone like Gregor probably would have been a better fit for our favourite Lasat. They hit it off when the Ghost crew first bumped into Rex and the gang.

Findswoman and Mia Mesharad like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Actually, straight people do sit around and talk about what it’s like to be straight, and Han and Luke did as much in ANH. “Do you think a princess and a guy like me...”? There is no reason why we could not get a similar exchange from a same-sex couple, similar to Ahsoka and Kaeden in the Ahsoka novel, or Sinjir and Conder in the Aftermath series and later in Last Shot.

If gay people talk about what it’s like to be gay in modern society, and straight people don’t, maybe it’s because gay people face unique issues. Just one example, I’m quite certain no one has ever been ostracized by his or her parents for being straight.

As far as Zeb and Kallus, yeah, not the best example of a potential same-sex couple, for the reasons that Kualan mentioned.

17. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    As soon as something like that happens, it would become a "controversal" news item and filter to the parents, who'll then, for the most part, say "Nope." I think the target audience is ages 4-10. Maybe that would work in a comic or something, which are aimed at 8, 9, 10-12(?) year olds, without hurting profits.

Besides, wouldn't we want Zeb to be with someone of his own people? I thought Zeb's race was endangered. If that's the case, it's imperative that he find another zeb and start making babies asap, to...propagate the species.

Save the zebs

Oryx-I likes this.
  18. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

Nah.

ZebXKallus 4 lyfe.

19. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Ah, but gay people were never ostracised in the GFFA. At least that's how I see it. I like to imagine the SW universe as a more perfect version of ours when it comes to things like sexuality, race, gender, etc.

If a human and Twi'lek want to be together, no one cares. If Lasat and human want to be together, no one cares either.

20. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    Humans and Twi'leks can procreate.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The parents who “for the most part” will say “no” are probably among the same crowd who complain about “SJWs” because the ST and Rogue One had female leads, and the ST has a black stormtrooper.

And Disney will, and rightfully should, ignore them, because it’s 2018 and they don’t make up enough of a substantial enough portion of the audience for Disney to care. Especially given that this same crowd has been complaining since the 90s and The Lion King still sells. I have yet to see an altered, “more appropriate” (LOL) version of The Lion King in which Timmon is a woman and Pumba and Timmon procreate.

...since apparently, there can be no couples who do not procreate? Since Star Wars takes place in 1850 and all couples must have multiple children to work on the moisture farm?

BTW, besides having children of my own (and being one who would be far more horrified at the idea of my children being taught that being gay is “wrong” and/or that the point of becoming a couple is to procreate as quickly and as often as possible, than about their seeing a loving same-sex couple on screen), I work with children professionally. I told this story elsewhere on the boards: a student was researching Sally Ride and asked me who her husband was. I replied that Sally Ride had a wife. The student said, “Oh, well who was her wife?” The conversation was as easy as if I had replied that Sally Ride liked chocolate chip cookies better than sugar cookies. Nobody cared.

The post-millennial and millennial generations are, in my experience, unquestioningly accepting of LGBTQ people, to the point that they don’t think of them as “LGBTQ people,” they are just “people.” My hope as a Gen-Xer is that their parents are raising them that way. Maybe some of them are defying antiquated standards.

And if Rebels can show Kanan and Hera kissing on screen, Resistance can show two male characters or two female characters kissing—and it is just as child-appropriate. Saying that Kanan and Hera are appropriate but a same-sex couple would not be, is bigoted, full stop.

22. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Very, very, well said!!!

23. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    I don't think thr vast majority of parents out there with little ones that watch Rebels, are online talking about Star Wars, let alone complaining about it.

24. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Indeed.

The fact that SW, despite some cultural artifacts of the various times it has been produced, has always been progressive at heart, is one of the reasons for why those kids you're talking about (I've raised two and work with plenty) can get into all eras of SW and see it all as one thing. But they also do get pretty excited about the representation, and upset at idiots who don't like it... basically they are correctly puzzled by why anyone who likes SW would like it less based on the gender, race or orientation of its leads. (Both my daughters were "Kalazeb shippers" from the moment it first looked possible).

25. Graeme Glavin

Graeme Glavin Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2021
    Nah, sorry chief, but that's just a ueadcanon. I'm not against the headcanon, but I don't headcanon them that way. But yeah, she's not really lesbian.

Eh, nope. I'm gonna have to say it again, they're not together and Latts isn't lesbian. That whole thing is just a headcanon and headcanons aren't actually true. You can still believe she is, but in reality, just note that she isn't. And no, they're not "make out eyes". She's interested in what her friend has to say. That part should be pretty clear. Guess not to everyone. Again, headcanon her however you want. It's all fine.

Yeah, same here. It looks just like friends who are in deep **** that need to stick together. If they are together, I'm not against that but I'm just saying it doesn't look homosexual.

I don't know how many people must here this but I hope you're just saying Ventress and Latts as a headcanon ship because, in truth, it's both pretty clear and a fact that neither one is lesbian. Hope that helps.

I think you missed it because it's not there. I think people must realize that the "Latts is lesbian" thing is simply a headcanon. So not true. Also, you were correct in never noticing that they were "make out" eyes because they're not. It's actually quite obvious that the expression on her face is interest for what her friend has to say. Also, it then quickly changes to concern. Also, Latts has shown no interest in anyone romantically so you can ship her with whoever you want but just remember that the lesbian thing is just a headcanon. Also it's specifically stated in valid sources (meaning not biased and not opinion bases sources) that it is just a drink with a friend. Nowhere legitimate does it say its a date. Also, several months ago I saw several blurbs on said legitimate sources saying that Latts shows concern for Ventress. Nowhere does it say they are "make out" eyes. Mainly because they clearly aren't. Hope that helps clear a few things up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2021