main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How did you discover the Jedi Council?

Discussion in 'Archive: Anniversary Forum' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Jul 3, 2018.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I found The Force.net first of all. In the run-up to TFA, they started running new articles about it, so I started reading them. Eventually, I noticed the forums tab on the sidebar. I'd lurked in a Myst forum before, but never posted anything. So at first, I was a JCF lurker too. The first thread I entered was some hardcore EU discussion (NJO era I think), and it was totally impenetrable. I still enjoyed reading it, if that makes any sense.

After a short time lurking, I found the Clone Wars music thread. This lead me to Kevin Kiner's website, and the wealth of TCW music he'd posted. Then the Clone Wars soundtrack album was released. It's strange to think that if that cd hadn't been released when it was I'd have never become a regular here. People in the thread were trying to sort the tracks, figure out where they played in the series. And for some of the tracks, I knew.

It was almost primal then, I had to spread the information, the thread had to know where these tracks played. So I signed up, posted a big long list, and sat back contentedly. Except I figured out where another track played, so hastily posted again to add that info.

I was then told off by mod (ToddtheJedi) for double posting. :p But they welcomed me anyway, and from that day on I visited the JCF. I never visit poor old Force.net anymore though.

Pensivia likes this.
  2. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I discovered this place in the run up to Revenge of the Sith. I didn't ever join until 2011, but I've lurked here since 2004 or so. I was a member of other forums across the internet and I didn't really want to join another one, but I wanted to read what people were saying about the new films coming out at that time. I found this place and there was a thread here where they were analyzing clips from the ROTS trailer. I'm pretty sure I remember there being some confusion about whether Hayden was still playing Anakin, because in certain shots in the trailer he looked different.

Anyway, been here since. When I got into TCW, I really had the urge to talk about it with other Star Wars fans, so I finally made an account and joined. Discussion of TCW would prove to be more troublesome than expected, as with each episode discussion there was a ton of backlash from a particular subset of fans that they were going against previously established lore.

I've since floated from the TV Discussion to PT discussion and now Lit. Those three are my go-to forums for Star Wars discussion but I'll occassionally pop my head in other parts of the forum as well.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  3. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    After reading an article in a magazine about Disney's take-over of Lucasfilm and the Star Wars franchise and becoming aware of a new Star Wars film to be released in December 2015 (yes, I had been living under a rock for the last 10 years prior to that time), I really felt the urge to post something somewhere about how they (Disney/LFL) could not just axe the old EU (Legends) and everything that had come after ROTJ. It wasn't right and they could not be doing that. Not like my voice carries any weight with anyone let alone with Disney and Lucasfilm, but I just felt that urge to put something online to tell them they couldn't do it. But I'm equally as happy now that they did.

So that's when I googled forum sites and saw the JCF. I registered and posted a new thread and immediately got it closed because it was already being discussed in another thread. So I went looking for that thread and re-posted something in there. And while I was looking, I thought "oh that thread looks interesting" - and then another thread and then another.

I had become hooked and addicted and have not been able to cure the addiction since. I must say, apart from my banking, emails, my beloved Australian Rules Football website and my Fantasy football site, this website is one that I visit all the time. My weekend ritual, while sitting down to eat breakfast, is to visit the JCF; not the morning paper.

So for what started out initially as a "one post" thing and then leave, its become an incurable addiction to keep visiting this fan site.

pronker likes this.
  4. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Boy, there are a lot of detailed answers!

I was so excited for a new Star Wars film I started looking for spoilers....I ended up here.
    I'm not one to join a board so I lurked for awhile, wanted to post....here I am!

5. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I found TF.N while searching for info on the Special Editions and then stuck around for Episode I spoilers. Reluctantly I decided to eventually join the forums to discuss spoilers.

6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    When I was much younger, in my middle school years in the late 90s, a good friend of my older brother's was a member here. He would occasionally reference it from time to time. I never consciously thought much of it, just kind of figured this was part of the fandom somewhere that I wasn't involved in. We were all big Star Wars fans collectively, buying all the toys and always doing SW things together, so it was just part of the common knowledge dialogue that went on that this place existed. Again though, never gave it much thought, never even checked it out.

Fast forward almost 20 years later, and admittedly my fandom had waned a bit just due to college, work, life, etc. Until randomly in 2015, when I happened to come across this event called Star Wars Celebration that was happening soon after that in a city not too far from me. After I learned about it, over the course of about a week I kind of psyched myself up to go to it, and fortunately also managed to get the time off from work to be there each day. I didn't really know what I was getting into, honestly just figured "okay, this is that official Star Wars convention I've always known about, might be a good time to check it out." And I did. Little did I know how significant of an impact attending Star Wars Celebration 2015 would ultimately have on me. From the first moment I arrived there it was literally like a switch turned on in me. I spent the entire time from start to finish just completely engaged and immersed in it.

Immediately when I got back home the day after, I knew I wanted more involvement in the Star Wars community. It was a simple fact at that point, it was something I was going to do. After rummaging through my mind all morning to figure out ways I can do that, like a light bulb, suddenly it occurred to me that this place existed, and that my buddy from growing up used to be a member here. So I looked it up, poked around a bit, and decided this is a really great place to start. And I've been back here almost every day since.

You can even see my register date is April 20, 2015, which is precisely the day after Star Wars Celebration 2015. My life has truly not been the same since then. It's almost surreal to reflect back on now and realize what an absolutely distinct change was made in me in such a short time based on attending this one event. But you know what, genuinely speaking, I wouldn't have it any other way at this point. Without Star Wars, without being able to interact with other Star Wars fans on a continual basis on this forum, in addition to my involvement during this time in some other geek circles around where I live, I can't imagine how empty my life would have been these last few years. I know that probably sounds really nerdy. :-B

Anyways, thanks for making this a really cool place to hang out!

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think I saw the site address in an article about Jango in AOTC. I started trying to find out more information about that and lurked here for awhile. As a side to that the SW Fact Files had started to be published and I had a subscription with a local newsagents. The person doing the SWFF updates in Lit was in Australia and the UK was ahead issue-wise so I started adding to his thread. (I still have the FF in their binders as well).

Findswoman and pronker like this.
  8. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Same. I think I found a couple Star Wars EzBoards first, but ended up here pretty quickly.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, since Jay tagged me I suppose I ought to contribute....

A long time ago in a campus far, far away on this thing called Netscape, I stumbled on these things called message boards. Had no idea they existed, were a place for talking SW, found Lit - had a look around - looked fun so I registered.

About three months later a little book titled Vector Prime and the place went absolutely batcrap crazy.

Near 20 years later? The boards are still absolutely batcrap crazy, this time due to The Last Jedi.

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Jedi Galadriel posted The Penitent on her site, but hadn’t finished, so I came here to read more on 3/20/2001. I signed up on 3/26.

11. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I signed up sometime during '99, post TPM. Then drifted off the site, forgot my username & re-signed prior to AotC.

Master_Rebado and dolphin like this.
  12. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I must have searched Altavista or Excite to find more news on Episode I. This led me to The Force.net....I eventually discovered the forums. My first username was created in 1998 under a different handle (‘skates’ something, I don’t recall). Been posting under this moniker for about 19 years. Good to see others with 10+ year old accounts and still active. You ostensibly survived the days of the Blue Yoda cult. :)

Here’s to 20 more years, to a most splendid, well-managed, forum.

13. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    *looks sheepish*
    I looked up if there was a Jaina Solo fan club and I think the forums came up.

Like a year or so later, I decided to find the forums again, not for Jaina Solo (although she is pretty snazzy), but just to hang out with SW fans. :D

14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    One day I just thought to myself that I’d like to discuss Star Wars more, so I searched online for SW forums and this one came up and looked good enough, so I joined, and it’s been great ever since.

MotivateR5D4 and pronker like this.
  15. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    This refuge for losers is 20 years old? Wow! 1998? I’m not sure how I discovered this place. Probably Googled The Phantom Menace or Star Wars Episode 1.

I remember rumors of Charlton Heston or Gabriel Byrne as Jedi Masters.

I was shocked to learn that the best SW fan site had an Aggie as a founder. I’m a Longhorn.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    SkywalkerShine and dolphin like this.
  16. Jedi_Allegra

Jedi_Allegra Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 10, 2003
    Well 15 years ago me, 13 years old, was called up by a friend and his brother that my brothers and I had grown up with our entire lives. He rambled on and on about we should take our little silly made up Star Wars/Star Trek mash up game (we all never played house like normal kids?) onto this internet board thingy and passed the phone to his life long friend Agent_Jaid who then rambled about a mile a minute about how the boards.theforce.net was amazing and how I should join and we would be best friends. We did, we took our childhood game online jumped into the JCHA with our characters. Fast forward a bunch of silly post later I was obsessed, I was frequent in the fanfic forums, RP forums: many eras of Jedi, Queen and The Dark Lady of the New Sith Order for a spell, ended up running a segment of The Blue Moon Cantina, AND scared the all living **** out of my parents when I started meeting people from here in real life and I haven’t regretted a single minute of it. [face_laugh]

It’s probably the longest lasting social circle I’ve had my entire life. Many board friends I’ve kept in touch with via Facebook, Instagram , or met etc since I was 13 and they’ve stuck around more than most. And every one thought it wasn’t legit. [face_talk_hand]

17. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    It was in the months after the Disney sale. A friend of mine had joined around the same time I did and I had never joined an internet forum before, so I thought I would try it out. Though I had always had a very special fondness for SW since first seeing the OT films when they came out, I wasn't a "hardcore" or "serious" fan in that I was only familiar with the films themselves (had never read any EU, didn't watch TCW, etc.) and had never done any SW collecting, cosplay, or anything like that. I had never even sought out SW news on any sites or read the TFN main site:p

Having never participated in a forum before, it took me a little while to get comfortable posting, and for the first year or so I posted mainly in SW content threads. But as time went by, I started making some really good friends (which was a totally new thing for me since I had never met people online before) and that's pretty much what has kept me here since then. :)

18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    After TPM came out, my brother told me about a place to discuss aspects of the film - aka this place. I registered a username and participated for about a year. Decided I didn't want to have any choice of being spoiled at all for Episodes II and III and completely avoided anything Star Wars related except the movies themselves until after RotS came out. Like, I didn't even watch the trailers for II and III. Then, after RotS came out, I wanted to discuss it/read other fan reactions, and remembered this site from a few years earlier. So, I entered a new username and started a new.

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I knew about TF.N, but believe I was only made aware of the forums after someone mentioned them on the official message boards, back in 2001/2002. But since I was there, never felt the need to join another forum.

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm on Rebelscum as well but just as a regular user.

21. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    I read the forum from the start. But I was too shy to register!

I finally plucked up the courage and here we are. I did post very sporadically until 2000ish. I think tf.n was called star wars at the Texas a&m or something like that...

In the early days there were a lot of eloquent clever people. Ah, those were the days!

(I do remember someone claiming Sam Jackson was playing Grando Calrissian!))

22. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    A sock became a mod? So will machines make machines? How perverse.

23. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Near the end of the last century,
    I was watching the news on TV -
    A trailer to tease;
    Dial-up didn't freeze;
    Search on Yahoo lit up the JC.

Findswoman and pronker like this.
  24. SkywalkerShine

SkywalkerShine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2007
    Wow... I found this forum in the year 2007. I was really getting into the Star Wars Legacy comics and wanted to create a fanfiction of my own. Then, I stumbled upon this site. At first, I was really nervous because I never knew anyone here. I was just this teenage girl that was in her junior year wanting to write stories. So I gave it a try. I cringe at times to see my old fanfic so I really don't want to share it... ^_^;

But anyway, a year went by and I decided to join the Roleplaying Forums. It was awesome. I've interacted with people, had help on how to write good characters and stories, and had lots of fun. Then college came. I stopped posting on JCF due to college being very important to me. Once I've graduated, I started to do freelance work. When I came back to the forum, I was so surprised that I remembered my password from LONG ago. Guess this website really stayed in my heart and mind.

So now that I'm back, I feel that I'm back at home and ready to meet new people and create more Star Wars stories. You guys are amazing and so is this site. Keep up the awesome work. @};-

25. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    My friend from high school would frequent TFN for prequel news and, eventually, the posts of @Thrawn McEwok. I joined the boards sometime in the early 00s, but lost my password and had to make a new account in '07.

pronker and SkywalkerShine like this.