main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: The Clone Wars music by Kevin Kiner

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Jun 5, 2018.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Recently, I (finally) finished watching all of the Clone Wars cartoon and was actually struck by how good the music was, certainly by the last 3 seasons. I discovered they released a soundtrack of Kevin Kiner's (and others) music in 2014 and have been giving it a listen. He's got some really good stuff in there, I've even already spotted a nice theme for Anakin and Ahsoka (I think).

What are everyone's thoughts on this work? Standout tracks?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  2. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I love Kevin Kiner's work on the Clone Wars - very underrated. I especially like the fact that it gave the series its own voice (Lucas's orders - don't use John William's music as a crutch. Use it sparingly and for maximum impact.) I'd really like them to release a complete OST.

Favorite pieces - too many for me to list but it would include virtually everything in that final Ahsoka arc.

Jedi Knight Fett and Darkslayer like this.
  3. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Thought he's done a great job with both series. Created some memorable original music. My favorite track from TCW is the music that plays while Gregor is sacrificing himself for Gascon to take off. The episode was Missing in Action.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    He does brilliant work!

Favorite for me is the heartbreaking Ahsoka walking away..

5. Larsonator

Larsonator Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2016
    Some of my favorite Star Wars music. Darth Maul Breaks Obi-Wan is one of my favorites.

6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I really love the TCW soundtrack myself, very varied styles over the course of the series. You'd probably like to know @Strilo that Kiner posted dozens of tracks on his website, and a few of the other composers like David Glen-Russel have posted tracks on soundcloud.

I complied all officially released tracks into a playlist, along with a large number of clean pieces from the various Clone Wars related video games (not comprehensive due to the vast number of music files). There's also a few of my own attempts at vocal removal, but aren't particularly successful:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEtVbo8oKTgo-7K90UE4zLKIu0wYo9zB4&app=desktop

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  7. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think my favorite tracks are from the Mandalorian episodes. Satine's theme is probably my favorite of the series. I really liked how the Death Watch motif is basically a proto version of The Departure of Boba Fett (both of which are derivative of the Imperial March)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  8. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    I would have to say Ahsoka Leaves is my absolute favorite, but The Clones, Obi-Wan and Satine, Darth Maul Breaks Obi-Wan and The Mandalorians of Death Watch are some faves too.

9. Mandalorian Riddler

Feb 27, 2018
    Ahsoka Leaves always hits me hard..... perfect music

10. Voss Fulris

Voss Fulris Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2018
    Agreed about Ahsoka Leaves. The scene has so much emotion, and the soundtrack complements it so well. Definitely my favourite from the Clone Wars music.

Otherwise, I particularly enjoy Obi-wan and Satine, as well as Ahsoka's Fall.

Ahsoka Leaves seems to be a recurring theme in above posts. What aspects of the track are capturing people?

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The use of the Force theme.

12. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    For me, it captures her despair and innocence at the same time. If the song was on, I could tell you the exact moment, but it's hard to explain.

Agree. Might be my favorite CW scene, not sure. Definitely made me cry when I watched it =((

Edit: @Strilo : I'm not the only one who listens to Yoda and the Younglings?!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  13. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Re: Ahsoka Leaves - it sits on the knife's edge between wistfulness and hope. The rising notes of her "arrival on Christophsis" motif signaling hope as her decision to leave her Master means her survival and growth as she makes an adult decision and stops rationalizing the war in a desperate bid to hang on to the familiar and comfortable. And the transition back to Ahsoka's Theme for the end credits signaling wistfulness as a requiem for both the TCW show and the Lucas era of Star Wars.

@ThisIsMe1138 - No, you're not the only one. The Gathering arc has some of my favorite pieces outside the Ahsoka arc.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Definitely not. Yoda's theme is one of my all time favorite Star Wars themes and this was at the time the best new use of it outside of Empire and Jedi.

15. Voss Fulris

Jun 30, 2018
    Yes, Yoda’s theme is fantastic. However I can’t seem to find Kiner’s version, sorry! Would you mind putting a YouTube link to it please?

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    His work in Rebels is fantastic. Some stuff can get close to some of the best from the films.

Voss Fulris likes this.
  17. Mandalorian Riddler

Feb 27, 2018
    Clone Wars and Rebels Music is so emotional.

18. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Agreed. Anybody listen to Ezra and Leia?

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Isn't Yoda's theme used a bunch in the track "Yoda's Journey Ends"?

20. Voss Fulris

Jun 30, 2018
    Somehow I managed to delete the song from my library and have been missing it for who knows how long :( I've re-downloaded it now
    Thanks for clarifying that, and sorry to waste your time on my mistake
    It is a really nice track though :)

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Don't apologize. It's a great track!