main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Celebration Chicago Appearances and Signings

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by MotivateR5D4, May 28, 2018.

1. Swtorista

Swtorista Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2018
    I did googling, but nothing turned up.
    Is this the video you are talking about?

2. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Somebody on Reddit said they contacted ReedPop and they told them end of summer. I'd take this with a huge grain of salt though. That would be really early.

3. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    Yes that is the video. It’s over an hour so I still haven’t watched it all. The group did say it has Celebration news in the video

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  4. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    This is heartbreaking to read.

teamhansolo likes this.
  5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I think if he came to a Celebration and saw how much love he would actually get it might change his view on this whole time period. I mean, if it doesn't, you can't force anyone to let go of anything they don't want to. But I mean, if Bill Buckner can be welcome back into Shea Stadium, and then feel relieved at the way he was received, which he got similar backlash for the mistake he made, I think it might work for Ahmed.

20th Anniversary in 2019. Fingers crossed. The truth comes out. Jar's Jar's Hidden Origins.

LloydChristmas and Padme501st like this.
  6. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    ^ I'd love to see it happen. The thing about Best is, Jar Jar isn't his fault. He played the character George wrote.

I think Jar Jar could have worked if written differently. Get rid of the clumsiness. Have him exiled for something like a crime he didn't commit or, even better, for being friendly with the Naboo (hence ultimately helping bring the gungans and Naboo together). Have him actually help navigate through the planet's core. It would have made his arc inadvardently starting the Empire more tragic. Then you could have had him sacrifice himself heroically in III trying to redeem himself (perhaps saving Yoda or Obi-Wan from the purge). You could have had the Emperor kill him as he bought time for Yoda to escape.

Instead, George wrote a character for little kids and Best played it accordingly.

LloydChristmas and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  7. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    That would have been a great Jar Jar Binks.

I absolutely agree, Jar Jar is no fault of Best.
    It saddens me greatly, that some people take their frustration out on the actors. Having Best and Lloyd get to the mental state they did and having Ridley and Tran drop social media is all things that should never had happened. It is ok to disagree, but to take it out on any cast or crew members is juvenile and unworthy behavior of any who calls them self fan.

8. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    OMG . . . Ahmed Best. He has been one of the top five
    autographs I would love to acquire. I've requested him
    for ages. I have never been critical of his character. It's
    just that, a character. Hearing my grandson laugh at
    Jar-Jar Binks brought laughter to my heart. I get it. Jar-Jar
    was designed for our children. Some of us have become
    so critical in our thinking about the SW Universe that we
    forgot how to appreciate the gift George Lucas shared
    with us. Even now, Jar-Jar continues to remind me of the
    wonderful giggles I experienced so many galaxy's away.
    Because Lorenzo, who is now twenty-one, laughs every
    time we watch the film together. That's real magic! It taught
    me a little something too . . . I like Jar-Jar.

LloydChristmas and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  9. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    The older i get the more relatable Jar Jar becomes to me. I know that sounds weird but the line he says when they go through the planet core "What 'Yet'? Monsters Out Dare. Leak'n In Here. All Sink'n And No Power? Whena Yousa Tinkin Wesa In Trouble?" I would totally say the same thing in that situation lol. And god knows I can be pretty clumsy! There’s moments where what he says is actually pretty smart if you look past the dialect and silly movements. I started softening up to him near the end of the CW cartoons, there were some great moments. But I never thought to blame the actor even while rolling my eyes at the character, he just did his job. Just like Lloyd, Hayden, Kelly etc...
    I would totally understand if he never attended Celebration but if he did, he would see, like Hayden, how a lot of us aren’t toxic. And that there is a lot of love and support for him. I would totally meet him. It breaks my heart that he felt that way. Jar Jar is a fictional character created by Lucas. Best is a human being just like all of us

ChrisLyne and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    @Padme501st: "Ahh, Maxi Big the Force!"

I know what you mean. This guy straight up talks trash to a couple of high ranking Jedi he just met. He's not all bowing in reverence.

I can't count the number of times I've basically said something like that to someone in the workplace, especially when people try and get all uppity about what they're doing. And I would totally say the exact same thing to some pretentious know-it-all Jedi if I ever met one.

Padme501st likes this.
  11. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Meh... I like to think that if I ever came across a situation where I'm in a powered down sub and under attack by sea monsters that I'd be ready to take on the beasts myself.

12. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I've actually been thinking about writing a piece on TPM lately. It's been 20 years. Actors like Best and Lloyd had to deal with the wrath of the older fans for that 29 year period, but we're at a point where the people like me are finally able to communicate with them. I was four years old when I saw TPM. It was a MAJOR part of my childhood. I never hated their performances or characters. They meant SO much to me. I think there's something there to share with these actors who only ever got to hear the hatred, but not the love.

13. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Edit: Wrong thread.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  14. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Definitely do it. When I met Hayden last year, my friend got his auto for her nephew who grew up as a child watching the Prequels. She told Hayden while he was signing that it was for her nephew because he always said that Hayden was his favorite part of the Prequels. Hayden was visibly surprised after hearing how he ruined the Prequels for so many years and thanked her for that. These actors need to hear the other side of the story and they appreciate it. At least Hayden did but others might too

Gamma626 and ChrisLyne like this.
  15. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    One of my favorite parts of Orlando was meeting Hayden and seeing how humbled he was by all of the love and support. You could tell he was truly touched by it. I have to think there's a good chance he comes to Chicago and if he does, I hope he does a solo panel.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    ChrisLyne and Padme501st like this.
  16. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
  17. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Of course, I mean a panel of just Hayden being interviewed, not a panel of Hayden discussing Solo, although that would be hilarious.

Come to think of it, it would be kind of interesting to hear other actors discuss the films they aren't a part of. Hamill talking RO and Solo. Hayden talking the OT. Boyega talks the prequels. Ray Park on the ST.

Padme501st and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  18. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Actually I don't think that would be a good. It would probably mostly be the actors going "this was a cool thing in the film", rather than getting new insights or perspectives.

As for Hayden. He was the reason I decided that I wanted to go to the 40th anniversary panel in Orlando, I wanted to show that there are a lot of people out there that are fans of the PT and him as well. I loved when he came on stage, and people just exploded with applause and cheers. Then all the other stuff happened at the panel, which overshadowed that moment, but it was still one of my favorite moments of the last Celebration.

Padme501st and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  19. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    You may be right, but I would like to see some new panels. Hamill, Park and Daniels are entertaining, but you rarely get any new insights out of them since they do every Celebration.

20. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    You know, that's a very good point I haven't thought about til now. This was THE Anakin Skywalker's big return to Star Wars. That alone should have created a stir. But then with everything else that happened, it got completely overshadowed. Which just goes to show what an incredible event that panel was.

Padme501st likes this.
  21. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah. Lucas, Ford, Williams and the Fisher tribute all overshadowed it. That was truly a panel that exceeded the hype. Just amazing.

This is a small nitpick, and I know they wanted TLJ to have it's moment, but it would have been so cool if at the end they brought the PT, OT and ST casts out on stage together for a giant group photo since I don't think they'll get that chance again. You certainly can't fault them for ending with a Williams' conducted concert though.

22. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, I really hope Hayden comes back for Chicago. I'd love to get a photo op with him to go with the one I got with Mark back in London.

23. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Unfortunately, Jeremy Bulloch has announced that he is retiring from cons. I'm glad I was able to meet him a few years back. Super nice guy and I was able to talk with him for a couple of minutes.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  24. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    A fun Jermey Bulloch story. I saw him at Lexington Comic Con and they had a panel with him, Paul Blake (Greedo) and all of the other actors who played bounty hunters in the scene from TESB (that are still with us). A young kid asked which of their characters would win in a fight. With perfect comedic timing, Bulloch gave this shrug and look that without saying a word said "I mean, come on, I would obviously." You probably had to be there, but it got a good laugh and it was a cool panel to see because you don't even get all of those bounty hunters at Celebration.

Padme501st and ChrisLyne like this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think he said that some time ago. He'll still do signings if you send something to him. There's an article here on TFN Main with an email address for signing information.