main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

James Mangold directing Boba Fett

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bor Mullet, May 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Sounds like Mangold’s not doing it. I always felt a film like this was beneath him, tbh.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    But... but... he knows what a Mandalorian is...

"A Period Car Racing Movie w/ Christian Bale & Matt Damon" is Boba Fett's working title CONFIRMED!

ImpreciseStormtrooper likes this.
  3. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    Mangold probably got scared seeing the star wars fandom Mcquarrie did the same, he wanted to direct a star wars movie... now he doesnt

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    *slow claps for the Star Wars fandom*

At this rate, the only people willing to direct Star Wars movies will be those "rEmAkE tHe LaSt jEdI" dorks.

Mungo Baobab and Krueger like this.
  5. Contreras1991

Apr 18, 2017
    he was talking about something random and people started to pop up talking **** and then rian got involved and the thing went to hell

http://www.egotastic.com/mi-fallout...-wars-movie-because-of-the-toxic-fan-culture/

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it's a pretty standard denial when someone's involvement has yet to be confirmed.

7. Contreras1991

Apr 18, 2017
    that also, but i wouldnt blame him if he step down from the director's chair

8. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Wouldn’t it be smarter to skip the boba movie and just do kenobi? If people didn’t care to see a Han Solo film then...

9. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    No yeah, I'm fully aware of the situation, I follow all of these people on Twitter. I'm saying that the levels of vitriol aimed at the filmmakers and degree of overall toxicity is very clearly giving good directors second thoughts about being involved with this series. At the end of the day, that can be nothing but a bad thing; it's going to result in bland, safe cookie cutter movies that are devoid of personality and life.

If people didn't care to see a Han Solo film, then I don't see how that means a Kenobi film is any more preferable to the general public than a Boba Fett film. I know the fanbase is pretty outspoken about wanting a Kenobi film, but that's not necessarily representative of the general audience's interest in such a project.

Mungo Baobab , EHT and Contreras1991 like this.
  10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    We might get lucky and get Bret Ratner.

11. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yeah, there are a lot of ***holes on the internet. But to be fair, if a Director comes into an established Iconic movie franchise, and makes controversial decisons to confound expectations; then they should expect a lot of negative feedback.

12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The Rogue One director (Edwards) would be a nice choice. That was a great film.

eko32eko7, Darth Smurf and kalzeth like this.
  13. Contreras1991

Apr 18, 2017
    he had a lot of problems with Lucasfilm ( the reshoots) so i dont think he is in a good position

christophero30 likes this.
  14. Contreras1991

Apr 18, 2017
    one thing is feedback and other entirely different is the level of hatred that Rian has been getting in his twitter by this minority of the fanbase. So at the end lucasfilm and any director that will take the director chair knows that they will piss off fans whatever they do, is a no win situation. This is probably why also George decided to take the money and run away from the franchise

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    @Contreras1991 - Please do not stack/double posts. Use your 'Edit' function if you want to add additional thoughts or replies. Please and thank you.

16. Contreras1991

Apr 18, 2017
    no problem and sorry it is the lack of habit of post here, since in another forum of discussion of star wars where i post frencuently, when a double post is done, they are automatically added to a single answer

17. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Just call me Padme, because I'm losing my will to live.

I agree, when you take on a high profile project, you should expect criticism to ensue no matter how well-received it is on the whole. Every decision will have it's detractors, that's just the name of the game. But that criticism, I feel, should be constructive, and creative types like receiving constructive criticism, even Rian Johnson. He's said this. It's how they get better at their jobs.

However...
    however however however, when the feedback consists of, "I **** hated this muvie and ur a **** **** I hope u never work again u *** kill yourself die," then that's pretty much useless and it's kind of really discouraging. These filmmakers all go in expecting that sort of feedback to some degree, it's inevitable, but when they see it happening a lot within the fanbase of one specific series, to the extent that it's been widely publicized and the fanbase has garnered a reputation for itself as highly toxic, then they may elect to stay away from that series entirely. We'll likely be left with no-name directors making a string of acceptable, but ultimately bland films. Even if they sometimes miss the ball, we'd miss out on some great filmmakers swinging for the fences and that, to me, would be a crying shame.

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    If you could make a cool 1960's race car movie, where no-one is going to send you death threats for your depiction of some old French driver, well, why wouldn't you do that instead?

19. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Where are these extreme people? I'm just curious. Even the most extreme people on these boards are no where near that level of toxicness.

20. Contreras1991

Apr 18, 2017
    twitter

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    He's not directing Ford v Ferrari instead of Boba Fett. It's a film he's already been working for a while. It comes out next year. Whether or not he still directs Boba Fett is yet to be seen but if he doesn't it won't be because he chose this film over it.

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    This place is deliberately mild, thank the moderators.

It is also a bit retro in being an Internet Forum.

Where do the toxic people live?
    Facebook? Reddit? The comment section on YouTube? Twitter.

If you want to sink into the mud, find a ranting commenter on Twitter, and dig into his reply history, and a world of wonder will be revealed to you.

EHT and christophero30 like this.
  23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Mostly Twitter, I think.

24. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Erm... well, they get banned, but it takes a while to air the stank out of some of the threads...

25. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Good point. I don't spend time on twitter, or other social media besides Fan Sites like this one; so I don't see this level of disgusting comments. I have no use for idiots that use these types of sick personal attacks. Kelly Tran had to endure this type of hatred too, which made me sick. It puts things in perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.