main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 It's official Star Wars Celebration - April 11-15 2019 Chicago

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , May 16, 2018.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    A couple of my convention friends want to do an overnight for this. I don't see any reason to not join them. So when I get back I'll post a write up about it and put up a few pictures.

Padme501st likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've got a thread on SDCC News & Finds going in Collecting. You could do it over there if you want.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  3. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Will do.

LAJ_FETT likes this.
  4. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002

5. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Ok, setting realistic expectations for myself, hopefully they'll announced they're doing Siege of Mandalore for direct to Blu-Ray or the Disney streaming service, maybe. Going into crazy dream land it would be amazing if they actually finished the series for the Disney streaming service.

6. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Ask and you shall receive!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    MotivateR5D4, ChrisLyne and zcure1 like this.
  7. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Haha, it was like Disney gave me an early birthday present yesterday! Wish I could have been in the room for that reveal, bet the crowd went insane :D

MotivateR5D4 and Padme501st like this.
  8. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Go to the 55 minute mark.

MotivateR5D4 and ChrisLyne like this.
  9. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Love it!

10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    We're exactly 8 months away from being in right in the middle of Star Wars Celebration 2019!

ChrisLyne likes this.
  11. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    @Obi Anne: Just a thought, you ought to pin the news and announcements thread to the top, just below the no selling thread.

12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm thinking that the news thread is more visble if it comes up on top when something is posted compared to if it's always on the top, also on tapatalk the pinned threads are harder to see.

13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, it's not like there are that many active threads on here to navigate through.

14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    True. I thought of that as well, that if it's just pinned up there, it might get ignored.

Whatever works is fine.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  15. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Do we really need this thread? This is basically like a second social thread.

16. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I figure this one can be for more serious talk that's strictly about Celebration and other Star Wars related announcements. While the other one can be more for just bs-ing around about anything else, but can also very well include Celebration and other Star Wars related discussion.

At least that's how I see it as of now, I'm kind of half serious half joking about that. [face_dunno]

If @Obi Anne wants to do otherwise, that's cool too.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  17. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Just let me know where all of my infant born in line policy discussion needs to go.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  18. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    This thread shouldn't be a social thread, but I like having a thread where we can discuss forum issues, like the news thread. Maybe we should rename this thread to forum business or something.

Skickat från min SM-A520F via Tapatalk

19. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    It can be the "more activities" thread.

MotivateR5D4 and zcure1 like this.
  20. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm currently drafting that up with ReedPop management.

21. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm guessing we're thinking a lot more about Celebration right now than ReedPop is.

ChrisLyne, groove790 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  22. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    With the unusual circumstances, fans must figure out best way to make the Cele. enjoyable-early.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  23. groove790

groove790 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 16, 2010
    With the way it has been managed the last couple of times it doesn't appear that reed puts more than a couple weeks of thought into it. I love Mary Fronklin and she has pulled off some major events but when she was with Lucasfilm managing the cons from that end, everything went so much smoother. Celebration seems to be a ReedPop afterthought now.

Padme501st likes this.
  24. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Probably because the writing is on the wall with Disney having owned Star Wars for a few years now. It's only a matter of time until Disney completely takes over Celebration. There might still be things in place, that were likely present long before Disney took over, which haven't allowed that to happen just yet. But once this era of films is over and there is another lull period in productions, it wouldn't at all be surprising to see an announcement that Disney has taken over Celebration completely.

But to their credit, I think ReedPop has overall been successful in running it the last few times. Certainly 2015 had to have been when Celebration hit its peak. Barring some narrowly specific mishaps, that has to rank up there as one of the best cons of the decade. 2016 seemed more like a mid to large size low key con, which isn't surprising with it having been in Europe in addition to what I mentioned above. I didn't attend, so I can't comment on how it was actually run. And 2017 overall was ran okay, but for some specific things that went wrong again, which themselves were issues that seemed inevitable in one capacity or another, regardless of who was running it.

Some of the issues I've seen come up at Celebration are issues that no major con is immune to. It's no guarantee that even Disney could come in and run a completely flawless con. D23 last year was an absolute mess at times. But all in all, it wasn't any more or less of a mess than any Celebration or Comic Con I've been to.

It isn't so much the company running conventions as much as it is just the nature itself of actually running conventions. Certain issues are inevitable and are going to present themselves in one form or another. And it seems like the solution to one problem just offsets and creates another problem. So depending on how aware the staff of these events are of all this, then it can vary in terms of how these issues are managed.

Concerning ReedPop at this moment, there does appear to be a trend of declining effort that they are putting into it. Which I would mainly attribute to the passing of Celebration on to Disney in the foreseeable future that looms large.

Didn't Mary Franklin announce she was leaving ReedPop? And yet, they seem to have brought here back as if she never intended to leave. That might be the clearest indication that nobody else is willing or even knows how to keep it going. She must have gotten fed up last year after hearing about the mishaps during the first overnight line, because there she was for night two with her clicker marking every single person that came in. And she continued to see to it personally that the whole thing was run better. So that's a likely sign of the declining interest ReedPop management has in running Celebration.

Let's hope that instead of dropping the ball in 2019, ReedPop decides to put on one last great Celebration before the inevitable takes place.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  25. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, I think anyone who (after last year) hoped for Disney to take over and thought it would be a silver bullet to cure all issues was dreaming really. D23 showed that Disney run in to all the same issues as ReedPop. In fact I'd say that, 2017's day one problems aside, Celebration went smoother than D23 in both 2015 and 2017 (based purely on what I've read online).

Like you say, there are issues that all conventions face. And Celebration has increased in both size and popularity drastically since Disney bought Lucasfilm. And, to be honest, that's the main reason everyone has been saying the previous US celebration was better run. The number of people attending is going up, the number of people prepared to queue over night (or even longer) has increased, the number of people who want that exclusive has increased. It's a good problem to have for Disney/ReedPop but of course more people going means a smaller percentage get into those popular panels or get those coveted exclusives.

Some things are easy, like making more Luke shirts for the store so they don't sell out on day one, others not so much. As you point out, any solution just seems to move the problem for some issues. Disney/Lucasfilm/ReedPop will never find solutions that everyone is happy with/everyone thinks is fair. I would love to hear their thinking behind it to be honest, as it's such an intriguing set of problems to try and solve.

Regarding declining effort, I'm going to be optimistic. Didn't ReedPop's existing contract only run to 2018 (I'm sure I recall that from all rumours that ReedPop were out earlier this year)? If so that implies Disney have extended their contract. Whether it was another "x number of years" contract or just for the one show, no idea. With that in mind, and with the issues last time, I'm hoping they go all out next year to show Disney they can do this. I almost wonder if the preview day was part of their thinking on this, it gives them a day to work out the bugs and see how things run on the ground rather than opening day 1 with the biggest panel of the weekend.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.