main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Indiana Jones and the Saturday Night Fever. [face_dancing]

2. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    As long as Indys costume isn't changed to incorporate flares or a safari suit!

But I actually still think it'll be set in the 1960's.

The delay is ridiculous, Harrison will be 79 when the films released. I so wish they'd done a few more sequels in that 19 years between TLC and KOTCS.

3. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    The film is being delayed so much that it will resemble this by the time it comes out!
    [​IMG]

4. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Is there really that big of a difference between a 79 year old Ford and a 78 year old Ford? :p

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Maybe a metallic bone or two? :p

christophero30 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    well if it's just over a decade than it's certainly faster than Last Crusade and Crystal Skull.

I will always wonder why it took them 19 years from LC to KoS. I guess the answer just is Lucas doing the PT :/

7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Very true, the difference will probably be very little. Without wishing to be morbid I hope Harrison has good health and lasts a long time but the longer these films delay........

8. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Indiana Jones and the counterculture debacle

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  9. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    When you start getting higher and higher in age, the answer becomes... maybe? As long as he maintains great health, he should be fine, but he's certainly not getting any younger.

Still, if the delay makes for a better movie, it's fine with me.

10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Ford is gonna live forever.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    But only if he never passes beyond the Great Seal.

12. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Well, they did try a few times during the 90s to come up with something, but they never managed to get to the point where Spielberg, Lucas and Ford were all happy with the story/script.

After Last Crusade, Lucas didn't have any ideas for another one, so that put a hold on things for a while. He then came up with the alien-idea while doing the Young Indiana Jones series, but Harrison Ford didn't like it. Lucas then got the other two the the point where he could work on it and see if it led anywhere. There were a few drafts done by Jeb Stuart between 1993 and 1995, but Lucas didn't think things were working out. He then worked with Jeffrey Boam, who had written Last Crusade, and as per Boam they had a script that Lucas and Spielberg were happy with, but had yet to convince Ford. But that script dealt with saucermen from mars, and when Independence Day came out a short time later, Spielberg lost interest in making such a movie. That's when Lucas focused entirely on Star Wars again instead of splitting the attention. Things then remained dormant until late 2000, before they settled on an idea by around 2002 or so. Then it took a few years to get the Crystal Skull script done, and that plus the actual production basically fills the remainded of the 19 year break.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. deathfromabove

Feb 18, 2007
    I really hope this film does not get made.Lets face it,they had to accomadate Fords age with KOTC.This is why the film was very studio set bound and green screen for most of the film.There was obviously limits to what Ford could do action wise ( I do think the fight with the big russian was great though ) and that will be even more so now.

Ask yourselfs do you really want to see a 79 year old Indy? At this stage in his career Ford should be doing good dramatic character actor roles that suit his age,not trying to relive his long gone youth by doing Indiana Jones again.Not being ageist,just realist.Look at it this way,can you imagine a 79 year old Pierce Brosnan or Daniel Craig still playing James Bond?

Miles Lodson likes this.
  14. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Um, KotCS was anything but full of greenscreen. I really have no idea where this absurd myth came from. The movie wasn't "very studio set bound" either. Not that I see anything bad with shooting stuff in a studio, most of the old Indy movies were shot on stage. Spielberg said from the get go that he would only do the movie with tons of "real" stuff.

Even a passing glimpse at the making of material would tell you that most of the movie was shot in real locations or on elaborate sets. The main bluescreen stuff were things like the multiple waterfalls, and the cars driving alongside the cliff, things that would always be special effects. Not to mention the ants and the nuclear explosion. But even the giant tower with the vanishing stairs was a real set.

I don't see anything wrong with Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones even at age 79. Who says what kind of role it has to be? It looks more like you are the one who is clinging to this idea of a youthful Indiana Jones, completely disregarding the possibility of the role being made more suitable for Harrison Ford's age. Not that Ford is in a shape in which he couldn't possibly do action scenes. Age is irrelevant on that matter, the shape is what counts. Any comparison to James Bond is completely invalid. James Bond is basically an ageless character, he simply gets re-cast with a younger version again, staying this middle-aged action hero all the time. Indiana Jones, on the other hand, is a character that ages. We've seen him as a kid in Last Crusade, we saw him as a young adult in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, we've seen him in what roughly constitutes his prime, and past his prime in Crystal Skull. So unlike with Bond, who is defined by basically being always the same, Indiana Jones can be a lot of things.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Well, the trades are reporting Ford is nearing in on his next live action feature, a new adaptation of Jack London's Call of the Wild. Filming is scheduled for this September, with a Christmas 2019 release date. Interestingly, Disney veteran Chris Sanders is directing this, which I believe might be his first live action project, although Deadline notes this project is a "CGI/live action hybrid." Of note, Michael Green, writer of Logan and Blade Runner 2049, is writing the script. I''m glad to hear Ford is circling new projects.

The Call of the Wild news I imagine confirms the recent reports that Indy 5 is indeed being delayed, and that there won't be any filming at all next year. Ford has always been very selective with his filming schedule, especially these latter few years, so imagine Call of the Wild will probably be it for him for the next two years or so (in addition to his voice-over roll in the animated Life of Pets 2).

I still find the screenplay news perplexing. There's basically still half a year before 2018 finishes, and Indy 5 was originally set to shoot around spring 2019, with both Ford and Speilberg's schedules clear for it. Six months, give or take another, is plenty of time to edit, scrap, or redo an entire screenplay. I dunno, just strange.

16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I hope Mutt is mentioned at least, maybe something alluding to him being on an adventure of his own.

17. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    As far as I am concerned, Shia and Steven Spielberg didn't get along well and they fired shots at each other after Indy 4. I wouldn't doubt Mutt's name not even being dropped.

18. deathfromabove

Feb 18, 2007
    Every one hated that character and when Shia went weird,Speilberg didnt want to have anything more to do with him so not even mentioning him is an extreme possibilty.

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I didn't hate the character, and just because there was tension with an actor doesn't mean a character can't be mentioned. Indy films usually have little nods to the past after all. If Marion is there even for a cameo I find it hard to believe they won't have one reference to their son. If Marion is entirely absent and without mention, well, that would be weird.

Regardless of the likelihood, personally I'd love a Mutt shoutout.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Honestly, it'd be weird to not at least mention Indy and Marion's, y'know, son. Even if it's "yeah, our son moved to Alaska. He's cold but happy there."

Let's bring in Short Round and Winnie, they're hopefully still alive! And I'm sure Spielberg can get a line on the actress who plays Winnie.

21. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Oh man! I can't wait to watch this on July 20th 2020!!

22. Gai' Phó

Gai' Phó Jedi Padawan star 1

May 2, 2018
    It's unfortunately been pushed back to 2021.

Howard Hand likes this.
  23. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Oh I see, I think they were kidding. Mods haven't changed the title of the thread yet[face_tee_hee]

christophero30 and Gai' Phó like this.
  24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'd say the four movies gave us a pretty consistent template.

25. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    You mean Willie Scott? Or Winnie the Pooh?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.