main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Film Made You Join TFN?

Discussion in 'Archive: Anniversary Forum' started by LAJ_FETT , Jul 3, 2018.

?

What Film Made You Join TFN?

1. ANH

5.0%
  2. ESB

2.2%
  3. RoTJ

1.4%
  4. TPM

25.2%
  5. AOTC

18.7%
  6. RoTS

18.0%
  7. TFA

24.5%
  8. TLJ

2.2%
  9. RO

0.7%
  10. SOLO

2.2%
  1. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I joined up during the first few weeks of set photos for TFA. Great times. :D

2. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Star Wars A New Hope made me join TFN.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  3. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    The teaser trailer for The Phantom Menace.

4. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Questions about the meaning of the Padawan ponytail (one of the first pictures of Ewan as Obi-Wan) drove me to this site in 1998. :)

Jedi Knight Fett and GregMcP like this.
  5. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Hmmm. TFA is #1 and #2. So the 2 revivals of the series lead to the 2 top reasons for joining.

I tried to join as Cos Dasith (sic). Notice the misspelling because I was immediately banned when I joined using the correct spelling of the Emperor in the first draft of The Star Wars. Not a good start.

So I joined as Prince Valorum. However, no matter how much I love Vader and how much I initially didn’t like the Emperor in ROTJ , and how initially disappointed I was with TPM, I loved Ian as Palpatine and Sidious in TPM. So I changed to Prince Espaa Valorum and had Senator Palpatine as my icon.

I probably left in 2006 and didn’t return until TFA was in production. Technologically incompetent that I am I could not access my old account and then accidentally created a new account with my Hotmail address as my TFN username. Ugh. If I’d been a mole on the Death Star, I’d have destroyed it out of sheer technological incompetence and I would haved saved many Rebel lives.

So, I’m a sock of a sock of a sock of a banned sock. Oh dear, will I be banned for this?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  6. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I joined during the production of TFA in 2014.

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Technically, I joined because it was a very long wait between TPM and AOTC and I needed fans to commiserate with and a place to read all the ideas about how Episodes 2-3 would turn out. Mostly in fanfic.

8. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    R1. After it's release I started seeking out other fans to converse with and remembered my old email address so I ended up registering finally.

9. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    ANH made me want to join these boards, because I wanted to learn all I could about the Star Wars universe. I actually joined after ROTS came out though.

10. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    ROTS.

Originally joined in ‘03, after lurking for a while in 3SA. I was a total WNUgget.

11. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I looked at threads on here for a number of years before joining. The build up to The Last Jedi finally convinced me to join in Oct. 2017.

The old layout was busier and not as user-friendly -- the one with Han in Carbonite in the wallpaper.

12. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    TPM as a lurker, AOTC as an active poster, spent a lot of time in the 3SA talking about sideburns and whether or not Lando's father Grando would make a showing.

13. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    To be clear - I joined post-TPM in anticipation of AotC and went all in on this thing that I had been previously unaware of... "Spoilers"

I wanted them so badly I even would read SuperShadow's site

14. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    ANH...I remember not giving a **** about any of my other Christmas presents in 1996 because I got ANH on VHS (thanks Gramma <3
    ) and I watched it non-stop. Didn't get access to the internet until like 2001 and discovered google and voila. Boom. I'm here.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Revenge of the Sith - my excitement for the film (and consequent listening to The Forcecast) got me to stumble upon TFN proper, and then message boards seemed like a good idea at the time. I actually managed to get out! But then I came back three years later, fool that I was.

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Young Jedi Knights got me into searching for Star Wars online, not any of the films.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...a magazine article mentioned TheForce.Net Jedi Council Forums. Magazine was part of the media blitz for Revenge of the Sith. So... came for ROTS, stayed for the fanfic...

18. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Waaaay back in the day a friend of mine who had moved away for college actually sent me some print offs(!) of TFN threads discussing the then upcoming The Phantom Menace for my reading pleasure. I recall one was titled "Jar Jar is doo doo". That introduced me to TFN. I ghosted a bit during the leadup to Attack of the Clones, but it wasn't until March of '04 and the hype surrounding the (then) final Star Wars go 'round of Revenge of the Sith that I joined on a cold, rainy Spring day.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Pensivia likes this.
  19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No, Police Academy 6: City Under Siege was probably most notable the last movie in the series to feature Bubba Smith, Marion Ramsey, Bruce Mahler, Lance Kinsey and George R. Robertson as Hightower, Hooks, Fackler, Proctor and Commissioner Hurst respectively. Of course Steve Guttenberg left the series after Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol, moving on to bigger and better things, such as Three Men and a Little Lady, Cocoon: The Return, and P.S. Your Cat Is Dead!

The plot for Police Academy 6: City Under Siege is as follows:

The police must investigate a series of robberies along a strip of land in the city. The mayor (Kenneth Mars) assigns Captain Harris (G.W. Bailey) and Lt. Proctor (Lance Kinsey) to the case. While on stakeout the Wilson-Heights gang, composed of Ace (Gerrit Graham), Flash (Brian Seeman), and Ox (Darwyn Swalve), manages to slip through their fingers. When the squad arrives and points out the fur store that was robbed, Proctor revealed he tried to tell Harris about it, but the latter wouldn't listen. In his office, the mayor is furious with the latest crime spree and reprimands Harris for his precinct's slow response and Hurst for not being strict with the former. Despite arguing their case, he points out that because of their slow response, everyone thinks he's incompetent to do his job and are leaving town. Under threat by the governor with revocation of his job, the mayor orders Harris, Hurst and Proctor to work with Commandant Lassard (George Gaynes) to apprehend the gang. Lassard assembles a seven-man team consisting of Hightower (Bubba Smith), Tackleberry (David Graf), Jones (Michael Winslow), Hooks (Marion Ramsey), Callahan (Leslie Easterbrook), Fackler (Bruce Mahler), and Lassard's nephew, Nick (Matt McCoy).

After distributing flyers as to the information of the Wilson gang and getting nowhere, Nick stumbles upon a paper reporting an antique diamond heading to a museum, and gets an idea to use it as bait: however the robbers nab the diamond anyway by cutting a hole in the truck and escaping through the sewer system. Nick then decides to go undercover to get information regarding a possible hideout, but Harris decides to go undercover to get a confession. Despite his fear of heights, Harris goes undercover as a window washer at a tall building and gets a confession of himself on tape after Proctor accidentally knocks him over the balcony.

The robberies are committed by a group of three dimwitted criminals who don't seem to be able to do this on their own, and it's revealed they are being guided by a shadow figure known as the "Mastermind," who speaks to the three behind a wall of glass and uses a voice distortion device. He devises a plan to get the cops out of the way.

Commandant Lassard and his men are later suspended after jewelry from the gang's last robbery is found in Lassard's office, pending an investigation. The gang decides to clear his name by nabbing the gang and the ringleader. Accessing data files from a computer, Nick deduces that the robberies are occurring along a bus route, thus intentionally lowering property values in that part of the city. They also learn that someone must be leaking information to the bad guys, which is why they are always one step ahead of the police.

The police academy force finds and does battle with the Wilson gang, taking down Ace, Flash, and Ox, while Nick chases the leader. A pursuit follows, which leads to Commissioner Hurst's (George Robertson) office. Though the others are fooled by the fact there are two versions of Commissioner Hurst, Nick wasn't fooled and is able to help them point out the real Hurst from the fake with a Pinocchio test. With that, Hightower removes the mask and reveals the "Mastermind" as the mayor. Caught, the mayor admitted that Captain Harris has been unwittingly leaking information during his daily meetings with him and how he could've made billions off the properties if it hadn't been for Lassard and his team. Hurst tells Hightower to take the mayor into custody with his gang. He apologizes and reinstates the force, and a plaque is given to honor the officers' bravery the next day. As the movie closes, Harris is sitting in a chair when a string tying the balloon float is cut, lifting his chair and floating him up into the air as he shouts Proctor's name. As he floats away, it is revealed that it was Commander Lassard who actually cut the string out of revenge for Harris' actions for getting him and his team off the case with his manipulation.

As you can see, there is no mention of Yoda in the plot of Police Academy 6: City Under Siege, and another Police commissioner is mention, making it likely that a subplot of Yoda becoming police commissioner would like be part of the plot summary for Police Academy 6: City Under Siege.

I believe you are thinking of another movie, and not Police Academy 6: City Under Siege.

Edit: I checked the credits of Police Academy 6: City Under Siege with three different sources, the IMDb page for Police Academy 6: City Under Siege, my VHS copy of Police Academy 6: City Under Siege, and with Steve Guttenberg, and can confirm Yoda was not in Police Academy 6: City Under Siege, with a 95% certainty. I have also reached out to Frank Oz's people. When I hear back from him, I will let you know if he played Yoda in Police Academy 6: City Under Siege.

Darth Chiznuk and EHT like this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I believe the confusion comes from the fact that Frank Oz played a hot dog vendor in a scene of the movie that ended up getting deleted. People often mistakenly assume that his character in that scene was Yoda.

Darth Chiznuk and Diggy like this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That's pretty compelling evidence but I think I'm still going to insist that I'm right until you simply get tired of arguing with me and find something better to do. Then I will declare victory over you!

22. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    TFA -- I was on such a SW kick after seeing it, and thought of looking for a forum.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    hada PTera circa Attack of the Clones account, forgot about it, reenlisted the day Disney bought Star Wars.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    At this point, the emphasis is on you to prove Yoda was in Police Academy 6: City Under Seige. You cannot, therefore I label you LIAR.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Exhibit A: A rare limited release poster from the film. As you can clearly see Yoda is in the film!
    [​IMG]