main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Old Farts Social Club

Discussion in 'Archive: Anniversary Forum' started by dolphin, Jul 18, 2018.

1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    A place where those with pre-2002 accounts can sit on the porch and reminisce about the old days.

Others are welcome too!

Jedi Knight Fett and QueenSabe7 like this.
  2. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    My favorite JC memory was when we started a forum campaign in the run up to AOTC to see a braveheart like scene featuring Jedi. There were rumors that AOTC would be the first time we would see large numbers of Jedi in combat, including members of the Jedi Council.

I remember creating a thread on whether we would get a Braveheart like battle charge.

Anyway, some time later the site got a scoop from a Lucasfilm insider that there would indeed be a Braveheart like scene. The Lucasfilm person said ‘Braveheart’ suggesting that he/she read the boards. Sure enough in AOTC for about two seconds you see Jedi charging Braveheart style on Geonosis.

I’d like to think that that scene was inserted because of us but it could have been storyboarded all along. Still, it was great to see that someone on the production read our comments.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My original registration was in 2000. At that time the average user age was 14, and entrance into the “Geriatric Ward” was for people over 25.

4. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    I see your Gunsmoke and Bonanza reruns are over.

~sets out a few checker boards and crochet supplies~

5. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    Lol. Your old farts status has nothing to do with your real age. Just your original registration date. Haha.

@Ava G. and @anakinfansince1983 - I have prune juice for when you are thirsty. :)

This is for anybody - What would you say has changed or not changed in terms of the thread discussions and overall fraternity in the threads?

Jedi Knight Fett and Ava G. like this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I've recently gotten into RPGs -- still hang out in Fanfiction :D

7. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    ~suppresses a grimace at the mention of prune juice~

That is an interesting question. What things have changed and not changed across the years, anakinfansince1983?

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think it has become a friendlier, more inclusive place. I remember when it was acceptable to tell a female poster to “Go make me a sammich” or to post diatribes about not liking gay people.

9. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    ~Somewhat distracted, Ava mishears and soon sets a sandwich down in front of anakinfansince1983~

Oh yeah. Looked into that a long time ago. Unless I'm misremembering, there was a time when gay characters weren't even allowed in fan fiction.

10. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    The movie leak/spy universe was smaller so we became mini-Sherlock’s trying to dissect every little tease from StarWars.com or leak to Harry Knowles at AICN. Exciting times.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    There's a zillion Supershadow's these days instead of the one brave soul who had the courage to stand up to Lucasfilm and tell us all the true story of Star Wars! And I think he had a supermodel girlfriend too!

TCF-1138 , Birkendoc, EHT and 2 others like this.
  12. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I still have my old fart dinosaur account complete with the stupid user name I chose a lifetime ago!!

13. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    What were your old usernames? You can't just drop that and not share! :)

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The excitement over the addition of new avatars was a hallmark of the old JC... one I don't miss. The freedom of choice/expression since '12 has been a one of the better developments. What is missed? The old forum banners!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    BLemelisk and Darth Dark Helmet like this.
  15. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    I wish I could go back in time and registered years earlier when I was a lurker.

I'll always feel like I'm part of the post-Disney invasion.

DarthJaceus and Pensivia like this.
  16. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Birkendoc is the stupid username that was clever when I was 29 and kind of sucks now.

Adalia-Durron and Ava G. like this.
  17. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    Oh. Well I think Birkendoc sounds cool enough. Is it an anagram?

Dr. C. Kenobi

lol

18. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Not pre 2002 but I saw the thread title and thought it was for age and figured I'd fit right in! LOL [face_laugh]

dolphin and Pensivia like this.
  19. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    My account is from 2013, BUT.. before I opened this one I had the idea that I might have an older account from the times of the prequels. However, when I tried looking for my old account using my email address that I've had for a long time and password recovery, there was no record of my email address soo.. I guess I never had an older account.. though I visited here several times in those times....

20. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    I'll reminisce:

I first heard that Episode 1 was happening in 1993. The six years waiting to finally see it were some of the longest of my life. Before seeing any of the prequels I knew the events of Episode III were what I most looked forward to. In order to see what would be best for the eagerly anticipated Episode III I was virtually spoiler-free for TPM, then spoiler-filled for AOTC. I learned that it really didn't matter, but I've kept the spoilers to a minimum ever since. Today ROTS and AOTC are my least favorite Star Wars films.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    *wanders in*

Am I welcome here? Or am I overqualified?

22. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    stares in window knowing she missed out by SIX LOUSY MONTHS!!!

Sarge and Pensivia like this.
  23. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    just curious--why pre-2002 rather than, say, pre-2005 (the release of what most ppl probably expected would be the last SW film)?

obviously, as a 2013 registrant, i don't have a dog in this fight:p...just wondered why

^that's why I'm here as well, lol.;):D

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    wobbits and Adalia-Durron like this.
  24. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I think I originally joined back sometime in the 1990's...when I was in my 20's. I was mostly on the Lit. boards looking for spoilers on the latest EU book. TF.N was my number 1 source for SW news. Sometime in 2000 they upgraded the boards and I failed to due what I need to in order to keep my original account, so I had to re-register in Dec. 2000. My most memorable moment was, unfortunately, not a good one. I was almost perma-banned for something that was apparently "implied", not for what I actually said. Fortunately, I was able to work things out with the Admins and I'm still around. Not as much because I'm not a fan of most of the new post-RotJ material. I prefer the EU post-RotJ even though there were things there I was crazy about. *shrug* But, there's still things to be a fan of here.

Chromide and Etav Byx like this.
  25. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    I've been around for so long I can't ever remember what the original board looked like