main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    Don't mean to double post primased not happening again it's just i don't know to inserted a quote when you.edited a already post
    but he wasn't a cut out hero we felt his brushes with the dark side in the show at times and him not trusting the council after Ashoka leaves also helps with his fall to the dark side and beytral to the jedi order

TheCloneWarsForever likes this.
  2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    You can highlight the text and hit reply, then highlight and copy the reply text, then edit your post and paste your copied text.

3. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    thanks

4. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Micro-Series hands down. It's a shame that the inferior 3d series has been brought back for 12 more continuity destroying episodes

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  5. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    To be fair @Ichor_Razor people have been waiting to see the Bad Batch...but yeah, I hope ROTS is not mess with too badly. Also, I find the timing a bit too convenient for DSW tbh.

6. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    The original Clone Wars show fulfilled a need when there was one, but The Clone Wars ended up being superior.
    That being said, Anakin's knighting ceremony was echoed in the Lothal Temple when the Inquisitor used the same quote Yoda did:
    "By the right of the Council,
    By the will of the Force..."

Vizzy91, spicer and Iron_lord like this.
  7. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    What continuity destroying? The old EU doesn't apply anymore, so there's nothing to "destroy".

Vizzy91, cwustudent and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  8. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    What he means by that @MrDarth0, is that it retcon and replaced material as well as plot points, that are much more congruent with the films; which is what matters to many, myself included.[face_peace]

9. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    :eek:

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I think there's good reason that the JCF is really the only place left where anyone really talks about the micro-series anymore.

Vizzy91 likes this.
  11. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Well the generation that was exposed to The Clone Wars Multimedia Project is getting older, so its natural in that sense...

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So is the one exposed to TCW. A decade is still a long time.

13. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Well, would as many people still be talking about TCW if it was only comprised of a couple of season 1 episodes? Because that's pretty much the same length as the whole micro-series.

Let's be fair; the micro-series did not have the same advantages as TCW did. It didn't get a theatrical "movie", or 20-minute episodes, or anywhere close to the amount of episodes/seasons overall. They didn't show as many reruns or give it a spot on Netflix.There still aren't any Blu-rays.

If the 2D show had continued and gotten that kind of support by Lucasfilm/ Cartoon Network, I'm sure we would be having a different conversation.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The micro-series was geared towards a niche group of people; not really to the broad spectrum of SW fans. That's why it was never given the true Lucasfilm treatment.

I've watched the series with an objective frame of mind. I've liked a few scenes in it; but nothing overwhelmingly glaring to get me thinking it compares with TCW. Many of the actions scenes are ridiculously over-the-top. That's fine for an anime show like Dragon Ballz; but Star Wars? And I just don't even understand how a SW fan would pick the micro-series over TCW in the first place. Ok, so you don't like Ahsoka for whatever the reason. There were literally dozens of episodes where she was nowhere in sight.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Vizzy91 likes this.
  15. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    The Micro Series much like the creator, really had outrageous scale, which for me I just couldn't take seriously at some things happening on screen. It almost seemed comical at moments.
    So for me The Clone Wars (2008) always takes the cake

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    wut

IDK where you were in 2002, but the Micro Series was the hot ****. People were reeling after the disaster of AOTC, so when LFL came out with a series by the guy who made friggin' Samurai Jack and Dexter's Lab (both wicked popular shows at the time) fans were ecstatic. For context, it led to the creation of this very subforum, that's how pumped fans were.

Sure, there was a big surge in Clone Wars EU, books, comics, and a couple of games, but the Micro Series led the charge for Star Wars in the years between episodes II and III. Maybe LFL doesn't highlight it much nowadays, but at the time this was their big thing; this was no different than the prequels (or TCW for that matter) in its ability to draw fans in.

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I stand by what I said.

Some people may suggest for one reason or another that they liked the micro-series when it first came out and still swear by it to this day. Fine. But no one can convince me that it's better than TCW. And suggesting that it might have been some sort of godsend to the franchise from the AOTC disaster isn't saying much. In baseball terms, it reminds me of when Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were chasing the home run title a few years after the baseball strike. It brought fans back to the parks and resurrected interest; but it was still short-lived.

Snafu55 likes this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    What, that it wasn't geared toward the broad spectrum of Star Wars fans? Or that it didn't get the full LFL treatment? Both are just unequivocally false. That's like saying The Clone Wars was only geared toward kids and teens, when you yourself have argued passionately against that. If you're saying it wasn't geared toward you, well that's fine and dandy, but own up to it, don't project your own biases on the entire fandom.

And I can't even imagine what you mean by "true LucasFilm treatment". The Micro Series was the first Star Wars TV show in over a decade, of course they went full throttle with it. Ask any kid during the fall of 2003 what the best SW content was and I guarantee the vast majority of them would say the Micro Series. That doesn't happen with no "true LucasFilm treatment".

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I wasn't the one who first brought up about how the micro series didn't get the theatrical treatment or 20 minute episodes like TCW did. The so called "advantages", if you will. And I like how you said "ask any kid during the fall of 2003 what the best SW content was and I guarantee the vast majority of them would say the Micro series." Yeah, because look at the alternative.

I'm done.

Snafu55 likes this.
  20. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    @Ahsoka's Tano: I'm not trying to talk you out of liking TCW. I was just pointing out the differences about the two shows, and why they might not get the same attention from the fandom.

Snafu55 likes this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol, what alternative? Kids are and have always been the key target demographic for Star Wars. Whatever they're noticing LucasFilm put out is what's the most successful, hence my statement.
    I honestly think TCW wouldn't be as beloved now if it hadn't been prematurely ended. Sure, it'd still get love, but not the cult worship it's actually developed.

AusStig and Snafu55 like this.
  22. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    The Micro series was fantastic. I have it on DVD and recently rewatched it. I have got to say I like it a bit more than The main Clone Wars Series. It's a great thing to watch just before Episode 3 as well. Shows how Palps was kidnapped, why Grievous coughs, how Anakin gets his new hand, etc. I just hope the new Clone Wars episodes don't undo that stuff.

AusStig and spicer like this.
  23. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    You don't know the amount of people I know both irl and have seen online (including very much myself) who grew up with the show and would describe it as their favorite and the one that inspired them the most. Many in my generation would very very much love it either way.

Vizzy91 and TheCloneWarsForever like this.
  24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The micro series was fantastic and it was the very first true animation for star wars. I remember hearing about this and couldn't believe that GL was actually going to allow this, cause he didn't allow it before. He only allowed comic books so getting animation that wasn't Droids or Ewoks was just awesome. Even after all the debates of its outrageousness it was great to have it part of the clone wars multi-media project. People now a days forget that this was a very ambitious project that no other true franchise has ever successfully done. It had novels, comic books, short stories, animation, toys, magazine articles, the works. Much like the Shadow of the Empire multi-media project. It's what we had and we enjoyed it, got mad at it, debated it but it was star wars.

Then came TCW and at first the movie was a bust and the first season was not that good to me. In fact, I liked Ben 10 more than the show, but then the second season came and it changed everything. In fact an alarm started sounding in the back of my head that continuity as we knew was coming to an end. Why? Because before that show, GL hadn't really gotten super involved in projects like this show. He really got involved with this and more so as things progressed and if anyone knew anything about GL is that once he does something that becomes the true canon (back in the day) and everything else not done by him takes a back burner. Then 10-30-2012 hit and TCW survived the canon purge and made its way into new canon.

Do I love the micro series today? Hell yeah and it still awesome. Do I like the former clone war multi-media universe? Definitely and from time to time you'll catch me reading either a comic of novel from that era. It was that good to me. Do I love TCW? Super yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A part of me hated Disney for cancelling it. That show is the best and seeing it come back made me cry because when they cancelled it, I was in a cruise in South America and it was the most depressing time for me. The series needed closure, and star wars was famous for closing things out (exception being The Force Unleashed). So not having something ended was a big deal for me. TCW is an awesome series and to me its not better than TCW but the same. They both stand up there for me because having the star wars brand these two series won awards and was critically acclaimed. GL should have finished that series and not ending it caused me a lot of stress over the years. It got better with the net flicks 13 episode release, but then we got the comic book with Darth Maul, the novel Dark Disciple, and the two animatics and what did that do? Made me even more depressed because the net flicks new episodes was only really 10, the 3 extra episodes were the Clovis arc that had already been completed. So we really only got 10 new ones that they had to finish as the other three were hold overs from season 5. I called Bull**** on that. Then you see the animatics and your like damn those two arcs are kick arse episodes that had better action than anything in season 5. But wait, the same thing could be said about the Darth Maul arc. If they had animated that it would have been super. Imagine Sidious, Grevious, Dooku, battling Maul and the Witch from Dathomir, not to mention the battles and seeing Maul's old ship coming out of cloak. Yeah....Then when you catch a breather you realize that the Dark Disciple arc was 8 episodes and had all the good bounty hunting fight that barely made it into the novel and all the other exposition that just..........okay I'm getting my bottle of crown. Now I'm depressed again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cause I know that will never come out again in any form.

So there you have it. People liked the micro because it was awesome and it was what we had back then. TCW is great but the reality of it is that it is an incomplete series and until the 12 episodes come out it is still that way. If they don't decide to do the rest, then Lucasfilm, Disney, KK, Filoni and the fans have to get it together so that the content can be released in one form or another.

Snafu55 likes this.
  25. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    because the TCW fanbase is bigger then clone wars other then this borad if you mention the clone wars in public their going to think your talking about TCW then clone wars

And sorry to break it to you

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.