main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Yeah, and for all the talk about it "prematurely ending", I think TCW tells a complete emotional and narrative arc spanning from the TCW movie to The Wrong Jedi so as a series, I was fine with it ending when it did, just as long as the TCW characters continued to have a presence in the franchise afterward. (After all, the OT characters got three decades of stuff after ROTJ...)

It may have helped that I didn't know TWJ wasn't a planned series finale until after I'd seen it. I got a tremendous sense of closure from the episode and I saw Ahsoka heading off into the sunset as another one of Filoni's "one story ends and another begins" thing like he did with Rebels. Only real loose end was Maul but I wasn't that invested in him so it didn't bother me.

2. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    agreed same i didn't realized until mouths later after season 5 finale that wasn't ment to be the series finale

TheCloneWarsForever and Snafu55 like this.
  3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I like them both. But I prefer to imagine CW as the first half of the Clone Wars and TCW as the second half. Because Ahsoka is in the latter, I voted for that one. I do prefer Seasons 3 through 6, though. I look forward to seeing what they have in 7. Maybe Ahsoka will battle Maul briefly.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Well if it should include Siege of Mandalore; that's pretty much inevitable.

Gudenruben2 and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  5. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I watched the 2003 version again recently, the first time since well over a decade, and was struck by how good some of it is. I like the fact that it begins more-or-less right after AOTC ends and leads right into ROTS. And I love Anakin's story arc, and how his character actually feels like the one portrayed in the movies (something I don't think TCW succeeded as well in). I didn't like some of the more over-the-top stuff like the Mace Windu sequence though... still, I might change my vote.

6. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Is that maybe because you were thinking of the over the top action and feats as star wars events, rather than a tale of an event? I think lots of people make that mistake. They then criticise the show for not being realistic (Star Wars version of realism).
    The Mace Windu episode is a good example. There is a small child watching the battle. Imagine that this episode is his story to his friends, about how amazing this Jedi he saw was. Of course he would embellish the facts. "This Jedi was unbelievable, amazing, super human, he destroyed a million battle droids!".

TrandoJedi, MrDarth0 and Snafu55 like this.
  7. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    Oh no, I kinda treat it how I treat the Lego Freemaker adventures. As if someone was telling the tale a long long time ago, over a campfire. Some version of it did happen, just not to that extent.

8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah, thank you, I understand that just fine. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    cwustudent likes this.
  9. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    That's fine then. Of course you don't have to like it. I was just offering an alternative way of viewing the series as a way of explaining the overpowered action and feats, if that was why you didn't like it.

What is it then that you don't like about the exaggerated action of the micro series?

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    To each their own, IMO; but it would be very hypocritical if you might be among those that had a gripe with Ahsoka jumping a little "too" high in that Rebels episode with the Force-wielding younglings but stand by the off-the-wall exaggerated actions of the characters in the micro-series.

11. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I like the action in the 2D show. I think it was creative and fun, and fit the stylish animation. Those "over-the-top" scenes only really involved Mace, and maybe Yoda, who are suppose to be the two most powerful Jedi Masters anyway. And they fought droids, so I don't find it that over-the-top. You could argue that it makes as much sense as a newb Padawan fighting and surviving Ventress and Grievous without a scratch.

Point being, artistic liberty and plot armor is a thing in both shows.

12. quiller

quiller Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    IMO there is a huge difference between surviving Ventress and Grievous, especially as that remained consistent of her abilities in the story arc then the over the top abilities of Yoda and Mace that weren't anywhere backed up in already established limitations.

13. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Both shows stretch the believability factor just because they can and want to. It's fine to prefer one show's artistic liberties over the other's, but it's definitely not exclusive to the micro-series.

14. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    I found the TCWs handeled Anakin very well. I guess CW also did good job a little on his character

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Both shows would have benefited from dropping Grievous, who’s just the worst.

cwustudent likes this.
  16. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    You don't get The Clone Wars without Clone Wars. Clone War does so much to inform the early episodes of the CGI series.

cwustudent likes this.
  17. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    you make a good point. They do reference Clone wars with Ventress in TCW movie

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Some of the voice actors are the same. The original designs for many of the CGI characters clearly are based on the 2D designs from the micro series. The Clone Troopers as individuals get their start on Clone Wars. Even in later seasons of The Clone Wars we see battle originally laid out on Clone Wars. There are space ships on The Clone Wars which were first introduced on Clone Wars. The list goes on and on.

So my point is, while I prefer The Clone Wars, you don't have The Clone Wars without Clone Wars first. And really they are both great. It's also interesting that Clone Wars with it's second longer batch of episodes already starts to slip into a more traditional episodic structure similar to The Clone Wars. So I like them both, and don't see them as two totally separate things.

19. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    who had the same voice actor from Clone wars? Was one of them Ventress voice actor?

20. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    Actually, a lot of the Voice actors had the same characters, first time JAT was playing Obi-wan, Tom Kane as yoda, Anthony Daniels as C-3PO of course, and Corey Burton as Count Dooku.

21. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    TCW is the superior show, but CW '03 earned its special place in my heart by giving me my favorite Dramatique Cape Drop moment in Star Wars.

[​IMG]

22. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I think its pretty obvious the first seasons of TCW were made to fit with the first season of CW. When we first met Ventress in TCW both Obi-Wan and Anakin already knew her and fought against her at least once. Same thing with Grievous. Anakin is also already a Knight and has his scar, which are both events that happened in CW. When TCW starts, its pretty clear the war has been going on for at least several weeks or even months.

In my personal viewing, I like to watch the first volume of CW before I start watching TCW. And before we will get the Season 7 of TCW, even the second volome of CW more or less fits with the ending of Season 6 of TCW and serves as a nice lead up to ROTS.

Vizzy91, Vinylshadow and Mia Mesharad like this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well it could very well be that the upcoming new episodes of TCW will be the ultimate canon bridge to ROTS; especially if it shows Anakin and Obi-Wan leaving to rescue the Chancellor after saying goodbye one last time to Ahsoka who's with Rex and co. on Mandalore.

24. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    That's what I'm expecting, but the first volume of CW should still fit the TCW and serve as a sort of a prologue for that show.

25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    What I liked in the microseries:
    - Padme and Anakin moments.
    - Some character designs
    - The soundtrack (mostly John Williams so no surprise there.
    - Anakin's vision thing.
    - I preferred the latter episodes because they have more stories than the early episodes.

What I didn't like:
    - Mostly reused movie soundtracks
    - Most character designs
    - Empty backgrounds
    - No stories challenged my views on Star Wars or introduced new concepts. I think I would have liked it better if it did go more in-depth.
    - Mostly war stories with LOTS of actions and not so much other things beside one or two episodes centered on something else. Probably due to the length of the episodes.
    - Jedi Superheroes

What I like in TCW:
    - Much more diverse stories and themes: Clones, Jedi, droids, politicians, separatists etc.
    - Much more diverse soundtrack, not just reused movie soundtrack
    - The overall animation, especially the latter seasons.
    - Mace Windu/Jar Jar teamup
    - The Mortis and the Yoda arcs. Any arc dealing with spirituality and the weird stuff in SW.
    - The droid episodes.
    - Showing both sides of Anakin and Padme's relationship.
    - Palpatine. What a troll.
    - Satine
    - Loved the senate centric episodes. Especially Bail/Padme teaming up and Tan Divo's character overall
    - Tera Sinube's lessons in Lightsaber Lost
    - The Bad Batch

What I didn't like:
    - Darth Maul's return. Didn't really care about Savage's power up and his rampage either.
    - Mandalorians in general
    - I still don't know if I like 4 episode arcs of the latter seasons better or not. On one hand, there is more content to go in-depth, on the other hand there is less diverse stories than in the early seasons.
    - Apart from a few exceptions, I still don't really care about clones

In short, I definitively like TCW better but I think it's mostly because it has more time and money.

Togruta and Snafu55 like this.