main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Lucasfilm Need New Leadership?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Rickleo123, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    But if something like this creates a bad taste it sticks to the brand

That's right maybe when it comes to Lucas. When it comes to Disney they want it to make money. I don't discuss if I like the style or not, I say that the behavior of some of the LF team at the moment and even of Mark before TLJ is highly unprofessional. If I were Bob Iger I would not accept that.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    TLJ made over $1billion, that's what Iger cares about

3. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I think Iger cares about a few other things:

- Merchandising sales
    - International sales
    - Box office receipts for Star Wars movies for the next four decades.
    - Creating a generation of hooked fans that will attend the Star Wars theme parks.
    - Creating a generation of hooked fans that will draw numbers to their new streaming service.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  4. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016

RJ said it himself. You can watch the video here, it's old but it's what RJ was saying. He wants to make a movie that both people like and both people despise.

As far as what went behind the scenes, sure we don't know. But given the information we have, of no reshoots or rewrites, that the script was done before TFA was done, I am going to assume they liked their ideas. Let's go with that, that's fine, they can do what they want, and make whatever product they want. It's their franchise. I am just telling you what I am seeing now on the internet and why there is backlash. If LF/Disney didn't want all of this negative build up and poor Solo numbers to happen, they could have played it safer.

You're right, I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for a large majority of fans I have discussed the film with over the last half year. But I will not tolerate this defensive bashing. You don't have to agree with what I say. You can respond. But to keep using "you" and attacking me I won't settle for.

5. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    My true views on EA would likely get me banned.
    Thats not how capitalism works.

The customer is the one who is parting with there money.
    The company needs there money.
    A customer does not need a film to survive.

You need to convince the customer on why they should spend £12 on a film ticket for your film and not on something else.

Telling the customer that they are "wrong" and giving them the opposite of what they want is not going to make them spend that £12.

Its not a all or nothing game.

Its not a case of giving the fans nothing that they want or giving them everything.

No one is asking for complete fan control. Just SOME fan respect.

WE WANT BALANCE.

No wanting the complete destruction of the character of luke skywalker that Rian gave us is different to wanting luke to be a fan fiction uber god.

Disney does not want $1 billion. Disney want tens of billions over the next few decades. They are in this for the long game, not just for a quick buck. They want starwars to be a long term cashcow;

Destroying the fan base and pissing people off each film does not help that long term goal.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Capitalism is based on creating demand.

Apple didn't make the iPhone to sell to an existing market, there wasn't one.
    They made it, they marketed in in a way that made people want one.
    Even now they aren't giving fans what they want, they give them what the company feels they need (no headphone jack, did fans ask for that? It was done because it was no longer needed).
    The customer didn't make Apple what it is, it made itself what it is by creating something people wanted & being good at continuously making them want it.
    It doesn't even matter anymore how many mistakes they make it bad press they get, people will still buy anything with the logo on.

Star Wars had the Prequels & fans still went to see them, they're far more divisive than the new movies.
    The Prequels being largely disliked didn't stop TFA from making $2billion, even though it was basically just ANH remade.
    It was a Star Wars movie, they sell.

And I've not seen anyone from LFL insult the fans.
    Doing something you don't like and then telling you to deal with it is hardly insulting.

Let LFL do their thing, if stuff keeps going wrong Disney will act to make changes.

There are lots of fans that like TLJ & lots that don't. It doesn't have to please everyone.
    The Prequels are the same

7. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017

Except solo has demonstrated you can't just slap a logo on it and expect profits.

TLJ caused a 50/50 split. That was NOT needed. Sure take some risks and be a little controversial but lucasfilm did not need to be a divisive as TLJ. Why piss off loads of people when you can just piss off some?
    Actuall it is insulting.
    1) I live in a free country and can moan about what I want.
    2) It my money they want and I don't have to give it to them.

If anything they have to "deal with it".

8. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    To be fair, the very fact that you are correct in all this Battlefront II (2017) nonsense being an "EA thing" is new to Lucasfilm. Battlefront and Knights of The Old Republic type projects used to be overseen and published by Lucasarts.

I can kinda see what you are saying, but its not just "customers". I would include Rian Johnson in that group of individuals which is wrong 80% of the time.

There is a lot of space between LFL "do[ing] what we want" and what they are doing now. Regarding the idea that Lucasfilm shouldn't just make a movie by fan suggestion, however, I agree with you. Lucasfilm should focus on telling compelling stories in TGFFA.

The issue here, though, is that I do not believe Rian Johnson simply ignored the fans and made a movie he felt would be compelling expansion to the Skywalker saga. Rian Johnson wrote The Last Jedi in response to the fandom. That is the problem. He just did the opposite of what vocal fans indicated they want and produced a movie many of us had no idea we didn't want...

Transformers is a sore subject for me. The way that Transformer has been handled since 2007 shares many parallels with how LFL is handling Star Wars now. As a long time fan of Transformers, I can tell you that what happens on the movie screen is not, in any way, similar to fan film series. Yes; Transformers movies make a lot of money. In their current state, I don't understand it. If by taking a stand against TLJ, you somehow how think I am advocating for Star Wars to be more like Transformers, we are not communicating.

"What I attempted was science fiction without the science. I wanted an engaging Saturday matinee movie, but not camp or parody." - George Lucas

"If money is all you love, then that's what you'll receive."

Its interesting that you mention this, because this is specifically why I have begun moving away from Apple products. I love my iPad. I would love to have a newer one, but when my current iPad starts to fail, I will be purchasing a tablet from a different manufacturer. The headphone jack issue was the straw that broke that camel's back.

I disagree that the prequels were more decisive. Perhaps equally, but for different reasons. Neither of us have the ability to say definitively that Episode I was more or less divisive than TLJ, so I will just agree to disagree. I quite enjoyed the prequels, though, I have reservations.

TFA was not terrible and had the pent up hype working for it. It's still an aggravating Star Wars movie. I have had serous reservations regarding the direction of the ST ever since the beginning of the second act of TFA... there is a lot wrong whith those last two acts, but Starkiller Base takes the cake.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Of course you can say what you want. Fans have been hating on star wars since 1999.

But the movie won't get remade no matter how much fans complain.
    It is what it is.
    Hassling the creators online won't get anywhere.
    It's the same with the Prequels.
    Not liking them doesn't stop them existing, or being canon.

Solo failed because it was too soon after TLJ & had very public issues with productions. Plus the marketing budget was reduced and it wasn't well promoted.

Had it been moved to later in the year with a better promotional campaign it would have been fine. Making less maybe than Rogue One maybe, but still decent money.

Episode IX won't suffer, it's a long way away. People will be over these two movies by then.

RJ made TLJ the way it was partly because of criticism of TFA being too similar to ANH. It was heading down the path of an OT remake, with new names occupying the same character slots.
    It was predictable, so he swerved it. Whether you like what he did he at least tried to be different & have a new perspective on things.
    The main problem with TLJ is that he didn't know what to do with certain characters.

And Disney/LFL saw the movie & approved it. They liked what he did, so did critics.
    If they didn't, lots of reshoots would have been ordered as they were with Rogue One.

bmickey likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have one of the iPhones without the headphone jack. It doesn’t bother me because I don’t use headphones very often anyway, and plugging headphones into the power socket isn’t a big deal, but it was kind of a WTF move. Almost like Apple was pulling a Rian Johnson and trying to be subversive.

And he definitely didn’t know what to do with certain characters, especially Finn and Poe. TLJ would have gotten heat for Luke sulking on an island for years regardless, but I think if Johnson had bothered developing all the new characters as opposed to focusing almost solely on Kylo Ren, TLJ would not have been so divisive.

I agree about Solo. It’s a good movie. I couldn’t believe it was marketed so poorly.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Well they did basically shoot it twice, so they allocated more of the budget into production that should have been used for stuff like marketing.
    Then when LFL wanted more money for marketing on a movie that already cost Disney around $250million, they weren't prepared to give it. Which is understandable.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  12. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nobody in that meme is employed by Lucasfilm or said anything about “killing men.” Stay on topic and don’t use this thread for rants about offsite commentary and/or social media posts or meme-makers that you dislike.

Also keep in mind that while criticism is allowed, neither complaining about “political correctness” or “SJWs” nor blatant bashing of LFL is allowed.

Iron_lord and Outsourced like this.
  15. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    So Andi originally tweeted out her mug pictures over 3 years ago ... well before TFA had even been released. Stripping away context to throw fuel on the fire is becoming a go to move for some of these people waving all of the torches and pitchforks.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    now rebelforce radio was deleted from star wars fan community because their behaviour. Ethanvanscvier (comicproartist series youtube channels) keep ranting about sjw stuff in star wars since he was kicked from DC

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  17. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
  18. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Does this actually pertain to the question posed by the thread, or are you posting that here because we lack a dedicated "Passive aggressively comment on people who work with Lucasfilm" thread?

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think this thread has run its course and has become a stopping ground for those who want to rant against LFL employees for whatever reason. If there is any talk about LFL changing leadership, we might consider reopening the thread. As it is, constructive criticism, such as the comments on games, can go in the appropriate threads for those topics.

Locking. @LAJ_FETT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.