main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Sign up for the 20th anniversary Forum Feud

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Jul 9, 2018.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    July is the 20th Anniversary of the Jedi Council Forums (!!) and as part of the celebration, we're playing Forum Feud. It's like the American gameshow Family Feud but instead of pitting family against family, we're doing forum against forum. (If you don't know the gameshow you can find clips on youtube.)

This was previously done for the 12 Anniversary and it was a lot of fun, so we're bringing it back. See the old Forum Feud forum HERE to see how it went.
    We are looking for Celebration forum teams of 5 to represent us. We can also have a few alternates if you want to possibly participate but not play a full part of the game. The team will need a Team Captain, a name, a slogan and team colors.

Signups are until Friday so if you want to play, get in quick and represent us against the other forums!

You can find the rules and FAQ for the game below.

How Gameplay Will Work

Every forum is allowed to submit up to two teams (with exception of the JCC and New Movies who can submit up to 4) of 5 people each, with one alternate per team. How those teams are chosen is up to the mods of that forum. See your forum to signup. If there is no signup, let us know and we'll make it happen.

The teams will then choose a captain, team name, colors, and a team slogan.

Teams will randomly be placed into a bracket, though no team will initially play against it’s own forum.

Two teams will square off in a game. One of the hosts will PM a question to the team captain and ask a survey question. The player who responds with the highest ranking answer will win the face off. If both respond with the same level answer, the player who responds quickest from the time read to answer will win.

The player who wins this face off question will then have their team continue to play the game. The team will post their responses in thread (no help from the audience, please!) and the host will let you know if that answer is on the board. The team will continue to give answers in order given by the hosts at the start of the game until they get all the answers or until they have three incorrect answers (strikes). If they clear the board, they win the round. If they get three strikes before they clear the board, the opposing team will get one chance to answer. If the opposing team gets an answer that is on the board, they win the round. If not, the original team wins the round. The winner of the round gets the cumulative total points assigned to each answer based on the number of respondents from the survey.

The game continues in this fashion with the next person on the team list taking place of the Captain for the initial PM question. Their game will have point values doubled, and all games after that will have point values tripled.

The first team to 300 points wins the game and advances in the tournament. They also get to play the bonus round.

The Bonus Round

In the bonus round, the winning team sends two players to play. They are PMed 5 questions from the host. They give their best answers and get the point values attached to the number of survey responses. The prize for the entire team is dictated by the value of their answers which consists of every team member wins their team colors, VIPship and a title.

If they score a combined total of fewer than 50 points the prize is for 24 hours.
    Score of 51-99 points the prize is for 48 hours
    Score of 100-149 the prize is for 72 hours
    Score of 150 and 199 points the prize is for 96 hours
    200 points of more the prize is for 1 week.

In the case of both players sending the same answer, the player who sent the answer second will be asked to send another answer.

General Rules

Responses are expected in 24 hours for both the PM and in thread portions of the game. Users will be tagged (@ Username) when they are up, but you should still pay attention to the game as tags sometimes don’t work. Team captains should pay attention and remind their team when the deadline is approaching. Any team who does not have an answer in 24 hours will receive a strike.

If you know you will not be able to answer within 24 hours in an upcoming part of the tournament, your captain may replace you with the alternate, or a mod of your forum may step in. This trade must be made prior to the question being sent out.

The TOS applies to everything in this game, if you send an answer that breaks the TOS, it’s an automatic strike.

FAQ

What Happens to those who lose?
    Unfortunately this is a one loss tournament, so you will be out of the game. The mods of your forum will be forced to wear the colors of the winning team and put the winning teams slogan in their signature for the amount of time the winners get their colors.

What happens to those who win the entire tournament?
    The team that wins the tournament will have ultimate bragging rights for themselves and their forum! Also every member of the team will be given VIPship, a title and colors for two weeks.

I’m not in this game, can I participate in the game threads?
    Absolutely! Just don’t give out any answers and while a bit of back and forth is fine, try to keep it to a minimum. Also, please keep the taunting friendly.

I didn't sign up in time, can I play?
    Sorry, once the teams are set, that's it. But a team may need an alternate, ask in your forums signup thread. Otherwise, just join in cheering on your favorite forum.

Signups
    Must be complete by 11:59pm PST on the 13th of July

To signup, copy and paste the most recent post and add your name to the list.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'd participate. I'm logged in here often enough anyway, not really doing much, just having it open in a separate tab.

But I'm not so sure I like that, in certain cases, if someone responds before you, they could win solely based on that. I think a 24 hour max period to respond should be instituted, but then some other tie breaker implemented in the event of equal responses. Or if there are going to be time limits, there needs to be a schedule for the two teams to compete against one another. And that's where the team element can come into play. Because out of 5 people, there's bound to be someone available to represent the team for the match-up. Where they can also communicate with their own team in real time, so nobody is kept out of the loop, but still without everybody needing to be there. I really don't like that simply responding second can be the cause of a team losing.

I'm also not quite totally clear as to how this game works. Even after reading this write up. So if I commit to it, I'd definitely need a little better understanding of how this is all going to go down. And although I'd be totally active and engaged in it, I'm not so sure I'd want to be captain. So somebody else might want step up for that if you feel up to it.

3. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    It's not about responding first, it's responding the fastest. They will look at the time between you read the PM and answers, not at which time you answer.

The Forum Feud forum is here, where you can ask questions to the hosts directly. From what I see mods can take part as well, so I can also be part of the team.

4. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Okay, I misinterpreted that then. That sounds alright.

So basically, you can't just open up your inbox and read it without the intention of immediately following up on it. You have to know that that's what you will be doing for a while upon opening your inbox. Otherwise you'd be letting the team down by not following through.

I'd be willing to participate. I don't want to be captain though.

Anyone else?

5. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm not totally clear on how this works, but I'm around here a lot and I know how Family Feud is played, so I can play. I just feel bad for the other forums after we dominate them.

In case anyone at ReedPop is reading, VIP passes for the winners would be a nice touch.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    ChrisLyne and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  6. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I've mentioned that we are a forum with only three members, a couple of other forums also haven't been able to fill a whole team so we could probably merge with another forum to create a full team.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Gobi-1 is on his own in Lucasfilm Ltd - maybe you can get him to join.

8. zcure1

zcure1 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 10, 2013
    I am interested. Btw, I remember when I got home from Anaheim I discovered there was a panel I had missed that was like a Family Feud featuring some of the voice actors and personalities. I looked at the pictures and it looked like a lot of fun. I don't remember anything like that from Orlando. Anyone here make it to that panel ? It would be cool if they do something like that again.

9. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Our team

@MotivateR5D4
    @star_wars_is_good
    @zcure1
    @Obi Anne (alternate)

I'm going to post this roster in the mod forum, so that we can add from forums that haven't reached full teams. I'm going to put myself as an alternate, so that other people gets the chance to play.

10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Alright. I'm still not quite sure how this all works.

Also, I might not be available a whole lot for about a week and a half starting today. Later on this morning I'm embarking on a brief road trip up and down the state of California to visit some friends, which is then going to end with me arriving to SDCC on Wednesday. And that's obviously going to keep me really busy throughout that entire weekend. So I'm pretty much going to be unavailable throughout this time. I don't want to let anyone down by not giving a heads about that.

After that, I'll be able to participate regularly.

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    We have a team! With the help of Gobi-1 from the Lucasfilm forum we have entered a Celebration/Lucasfilm forum team.

I've sent a PM to all the team members, so that we can organize ourselves there.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    So I'm back now.

I haven't read over all the private messages I've gotten. Is it too late to participate in the game?

13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Nope, we are going to need you. We won our first round and are currently trying to steal the second.

14. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
  15. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Okay. I'll get up to speed on everything today then.