main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 SWC22 Costume/cosplay thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Jun 8, 2018.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not sure how many wheelchair costumers we have, but company Magic Wheelchair had some SW-related costumes at SDCC. Hit the link to see pics and there's a link to their website for more information. Maybe they will be represented at Celebration!

LloydChristmas and ChrisLyne like this.
  2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I saw them, they were really cool, a nightmare to navigate in crowded halls, but still very cool.

3. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Those are fantastic!

4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I happened to be walking outside when I saw that "parade" (literally called that by the company organizers) in all its glory. To be honest, I had mixed feelings.

On one end, I totally get it, for all the reasons that should be obvious.

On the other end, it was weird. These kids were paraded around for two hours, in the heat, dressed up like that, in front of thousands upon thousands of people gawking at them and taking pictures. These kids had no choice in being there paraded around like that. Even adults decide sometimes not to cosplay because of the heat. And the whole charade was not for the kids' benefit. It was merely to serve the self righteous nature of whoever put that on. Because walking right next to each wheelchair was a spokesperson for the company yelling and screaming about how great the company is and handing out flyers to whoever would take one. Right behind the parade was an even bigger group of these spokespeople doing the same thing. One of them had a megaphone. It was disgusting, to be perfectly frank.

There are other ways this could have been done.

Padme501st likes this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Maybe, but it might also have been the highlight of SDCC for those kids. Most look too young to post on these boards so I guess we won't know.

6. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    This group was featured on the Star Wars Show today.

They also show some crowd shots from the Rebels panel for those interested.

7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    @Obi Anne; @Padme501st; @star_wars_is_good; @ChrisLyne

Do you guys trust any of those companies that sell cosplay costumes online? I don't care so much about having to build the costume myself, just as long as the one I get fits, is of decent quality, and doesn't cost me a crazy amount. There are a few overseas (for me it's overseas) websites that sell them, but I'm hesitant about it. It could easily not fit the way I want it to, or not be nearly as good of quality as the site would have you believe. And then if that happens, it seems like it would be entirely more difficult than it's worth to go through the return process and ship it back. On those sites they cost about $200-$400.

Are these businesses even legitimate? I'd hate to think some worker is getting whipped in a sweat shop while he's making my costume. That's a genuine concern as well. From some of the research I've done, most of these companies are based in areas where it wouldn't surprise me to hear about that kind of thing happening to make these products.

I've tried looking for stuff at other cons, but to no avail. And for someone who isn't as well known as Cassian, they never have anything specific to him. All I ever see is Finn's jacket. I want do Star Lord eventually as well, but his stuff seems to come at either a super high cost for higher quality, or it's very cheap Halloween costume type stuff.

Do you know if there are any American companies that sell good quality costumes (other than Anovos)? I imagine not, since they would have to abide by serious copy right laws. Which is why the overseas companies get away with it.

Any other recommendations on things I can look into? Because without being able to buy a full costume, for somebody like me, I have absolutely no idea how to go about creating an accurate costume myself. Maybe I'll have to hit you guys up a little later on for some advice on how to go about doing that. Because now I'm thinking I might want to.

I don't know who else cosplays here, but anybody is welcome to chime in.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  8. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    The only "high end" company I've bought from is UD Replicas and they lost their Star Wars license when Anovos came into play.

I too would be very hesitant to buy from a non-US retailer for the reasons you mentioned. I'd go find some cosplay forums. There has to be other Cassian cosplayers out there who can point you in the right direction.

9. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    That's a good idea. Like I said it won't be until the start of next year that I'll be able to put any decent effort into it. But I'll do some preliminary poking around now.

If anybody has any recommendations for this, let me know.

10. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I bought my Imperial Officer from Cosplaysky for a little over $100. Fitting changes was minimal to meet 501st approval, however once you add all the accessories it definitely was more than $100. Only bad thing is you hear some stories throughout the years and i can’t remember if it’s a reliable company anymore to get started. I highly do not recommend Anovos. There are so many complaints about them, especially when it comes to Cassian. They actually cancelled their Cassian jacket and people have struggled to get their money back from the pre order!

There is a site that was highly recommended among RL and 501st that I came across a couple of weeks ago, maybe @Obi Anne knows what I’m thinking of. I don’t remember what it’s called but they did cosplay and accessories for Imperial and Rebels, price was standard for quality and it was praised by members. I’ll try to find it.

As for Cassian.... he is a tough one. However a lot of people in the Jyn group on Facebook have been inquiring about his outfit in the last 6 months. I’d say this, go to the Rebel Legion forum, you should be able to sign up to read CRL/WIPs on his outfit. People share where and how they get things. Also check Etsy. I know you aren’t on Facebook but I’ll look for a group. The Qi’ra Facebook group helps me more in terms of finding places to buy stuff or build stuff or commission stuff from members than the actual forums.

Is Cassian/Star Lord the only cosplay you are interested in? Just as a point of reference

11. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Ok so someone in the Jyn group bought this Cassian cosplay for her bf and said it came out perfectly and was great quality
    https://www.procosplay.com/rogue-onea-star-wars-story-cassian-andor-cosplay-costumes-mp003533

I know it still comes with the whole “will the size fit” thing. The only thing I can say is get a measuring tape and measure yourself before ordering and maybe get a size bigger if unsure? You can make it smaller if it’s too big

Also FYI, they have several Star Lord stuff too

12. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    MotivateR5D4 and Padme501st like this.
  13. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    If you want to buy a costume of good quality Anovos is the best. You have to pay the price for good quality and the waiting times can be really long, but once you get the piece it is excellent. The guys who started Anovos all started out as suppliers for the 501st on a hobby level before they could become licensed.

Cosplaysky is hit and miss when it comes to quality. There are some items that can be approved directly with the 501st and RL, and there are other items that are not even close. They have both generic sizes and made to measure items, and in general you should go with the made to measure items. I just had a look and their Cassian jacket would not be approved in the RL. Cosplaysky is a reputable company though, so you will get your items you just have to decide on what level of accuracy that you would like to have on your cosplay.

There are a number of suppliers for cosplay things within the legions, but they are usually found by reading up on the forums and getting advice from members. In general though it's harder to find ready made items that are made of fabric and made for rebels, compared to the amount of plastic and hard costume suppliers you can find.

I found this thread on the Rebel Legion forums about Cassian, it might be worth reading through it and see if you can find some info or get inspiration. There is also the facebook group for Cassian.

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Don't forget we also have a Costuming and Prop forum. It's slow in there but if you want to check a company or ask a question try there as well. You might get responses from people who aren't coming here since they arent going to Celebration.

MotivateR5D4 and ChrisLyne like this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    @Padme501st:

Thanks for the reply, a lot of good info. I'll definitely look into the Rebel Legion forum, that seems like a good next step in my search. If you can find the name of that other site, please definitely let me know. Hopefully it isn't meant to be kept a secret or anything among members.

I didn't know that Anovos cancelled their Cassian jacket. In fact, I remember seeing the pre-orders up earlier this year and have been kicking myself ever since for not putting one in. I even spoke with some of their staff at SDCC about possibly putting in an order for one even though they technically weren't taking any more. I got an email a few weeks later saying that unfortunately that isn't something they would be able to do, but to sign up for the mailing list so that I can be notified if it becomes available again. But they didn't make any mention of the production being stopped altogether, nor did they when I first spoke to them. I guess that's the kind of information you might be more privy to with your involvement in the 501st. I still have a couple of email addresses from some people there, and I was going to ask about it again anyhow and if they will be at Celebration. So I'll mention that I heard this somewhere and ask if it is true. I at least wanted the jacket so I can strut around in it and ask people "Do you know who's jacket this is?", and then tell them. But I guess I won't be able to do that now. I'm surprised to hear about the complaints, I always though Anovos was one of the best companies out there, if not the best.

And yea, at the moment I'm only looking into Cassian and Star Lord. I see a lot of myself in those characters and feel like I could really embody them if I were to cosplay as them.

That website you linked is similar to the ones I have found. But even if the costume fits perfectly, here's my issue with it...

Contact Us

email:procosplay.com@gmail.com,alice@procosplay.com

FaceBook:https://www.facebook.com/ProCosplayOnlineShop

skypeproCosplay,Available at 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (Chinese Time) from Monday to Friday.

Tel:+86 020-32379556,Available at 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (Chinese Time) from Monday to Friday.

AdressongPu Road Two,No.67,DongPu town,TianHe district,,GuangZhou City,GuangDong Province,China.

Now, I'm not trying to rush to judgement here. I really am not trying to be cynical or act like I know something that I don't. For all I know they could be totally legitimate businesses. But at the same time, for all I know, they could very well not be. Rather than make this discussion about what I mean by that, I think we all can assume what I'm referring to. And unfortunately, there's just no way to know, because even if you inquire about it, no matter what is actually the case, you're going to hear what you want to hear. And given the probability that these companies are a little less than legitimate, I'm not comfortable wearing a costume from one of them knowing how it likely got made. Just so I can go cosplay at a convention. The wide range of properties that these companies produce is likely another indication that they probably wouldn't be allowed to do the same thing if they were based in the US.

Anyways, thanks again for the info. Like I said, I just want to do some preliminary poking around at the moment. And then based on what I find, I'll probably be hitting you up again about it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Padme501st likes this.
  16. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    @Obi Anne

Thanks for expanding on some of that. I'll definitely be looking into Cosplaysky. I'll also look at the Rebel Legion forum, I'm thinking I'll probably have to sign up if I want to do more serious inquiry there. I bet they get a lot of people asking around at first but who ultimately decide not to, so I'd like to make a firm decision before I get involved in that community.

I'm not on facebook though, and that link is telling me I have to log in to look at it. If anybody happens to come across like a golden nugget of info in regards to what I am asking about, please let me know.

I didn't know that Anovos was started by 501st suppliers. They ought to advertise that a little more, that could really give them a lot more credibility. Not only in that they know what they are doing, but that customers are also buying from people who aren't just trying to pawn a high value product on them. I agree that you definitely have to pay for it if you want good quality. Otherwise it just looks cheap, no offense to anyone. I'd rather just not even be bothered with it if it isn't going to look sharp. I have 20+ SW shirts that I can otherwise wear.

@LAJ_FETT

Thanks for that link. I've been meaning to ask you where that is on here. Although, I'm not sure I want to create another thread and have it just sit there for years and years. If anything, once I find some solid answers with some of the sources that have already been suggested, perhaps I can provide that info there as well. And here.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  17. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    @MotivateR5D4 Anovos is great for armor. Aside from that, the rest is hit or miss in receiving your order. They take forever and tend to cancel things. But Anovos armor is highly recommended.

I sent a request to the Cassian Facebook group yesterday to see if i could get more information for you. I’ll let you know if I find anything. I had looked at that site at work so I’ll see if I can find it tomorrow

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    @Padme501st: Awesome! Thank you.

I'm really starting to look forward to Celebration. :D

19. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I love seeing all the costumes, bought or home made, the effort was made to wear them, despite heat or discomfort, I would love to see the fans in wheelchairs dressing up themselves and their mobility device to portray a Star Wars character or scene! they are fans too! I can't wait!

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    If your goal is to have the Cassian jacket and have it look really good I would look around and see if you could find a local seamstress/tailor and see if they would be willing to take it on as a comission. That way you could also be involved in the process, even if you don't make it yourself, and it would be fitted to you. I know a lot of people go that route for soft pieces to their costumes.

21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    @Obi Anne: Well, that was the goal, but I guess the production ceased on it. I had thought about that though when I considered buying it, that if all else fails, I could just get it tailored. I tried on the Luke Bespin jacket they had at their booth and the large seemed to fit just fine, but they didn't know exactly how comparable it was to the Cassian jacket. I've tried on the Finn jacket from a different manufacturer, and the large was just a bit too large, so that's something that would require tailoring. From what I've been told it's always better to go slightly larger and get it tailored then to go with the smaller option if you are somebody who is in between sizes.

Although at this point I'm going to look into trying to get the whole costume together.

Padme501st likes this.
  22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I meant that you could maybe find a tailor to make the jacket from scratch, if it's not available through Anovos anymore. :)

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  23. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  24. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Is everyone talking about the$250 jacket on the site? I've seen brown denim jackets similar to the one pictured, a couple alterations could convert one, you just have to find the jacket. I wonder if I could make one?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  25. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    @MotivateR5D4

I think everyone else has covered everything. I've only even done Jedi robes and, besides Anovos, the only officially licensed costumes are (I think) the Halloween ones. So you tend to find most will either make their own, commission a tailor made costume, or buy an unofficial one. With the unofficial ones you tend to find prices vary significantly depending on quality and whether or not they're "standard" sizes or made to measure.

Best bet is to find something that you like the look of and that's in your budget. Like you, I'd be wary of buying a mass produced piece from certain places. They might look better than the Halloween costumes but the quality could vary a lot. As others have said, check out the Rebel Legion forums, see what others have done/where they've bought from. Find reviews for pieces you are thinking of. The Legion guidelines are great even if you're not planning on going for full legion approval. You know how screen accurate (or not) you want to go and what you'll be happy with. For instance, I still need to sort out a better belt with all the accessories if I want to apply for Legion approval (long term goal, hopefully I will before SWCC), but even not going for approval the guidelines were invaluable for helping me determine the fit of the robe, where the sleeves should fall, etc.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.