main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Your thread should you choose to accept it] The Mission: Impossible movies

Discussion in 'Community' started by TiniTinyTony , Jul 30, 2018.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    [​IMG]

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (aka M:I-6) was actually quite enjoyable. I found myself holding my breath at certain parts, and I loved the audience getting into it and cheering at the good parts. It currently has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 98%, and it had a stellar box office weekend. There were a lot of clever call backs to previous installments, so if you're very familiar with the series or you watched a recap video of all five movies (Screen Junkies has a good one) then you'll definitely find something to enjoy about this film. I would recommend being very familiar with Rogue Nation most of all as Fallout feels like a direct sequel that was set up with the events of the previous movie - specifically the Syndicate organization, its leader, and other characters that survived the movie.

What's your favorite movie of the series? Did you enjoy the latest iteration? How many more of these is Tom Cruise going to do!? (Hopefully a lot more!) Let's discuss!

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think I've seen 4 of these, including the newest one. And it is my favourite by virtue of it being the only one I can remember. Give it a week and it will fade to become equally liked with the rest of the series.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I just remember 2 being 4 hours long because everything was in slow motion and there were millions of sequences of characters giving each other smoldering looks.

*gives @Diggy a smoldering look*

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Considering some of the other movies and franchises that have their own threads here, this thread is overdue; I’d been thinking of starting one too.

Saw Fallout last night; loved it. As expected, the action is excellent and the stunts are pretty impressive. The characters also continue to have great chemistry.

I don’t know yet where I rank the new one in the series, but I generally think that each subsequent movie in the series has been better than the one before it.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I was thinking of starting a M:I vs Bond thread. I have no dog in that fight, but the arguments would no doubt amuse.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, great points. I meant to mention that I liked how this one was actually a sequel. The references have been there before, but that’s a first for the series.

7. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I still like 3 the best. But I’ve yet to see Fallout.

8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I still like 3 the best. But I’ve yet to see Fallout.

9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I wonder if I can find a list of all movies that involved a desperate race against time to find a terrorist network and prevent it from detonating a nuclear device made from stolen radioactive material. It's definitely its own subsubgenre of the ticking bomb subgenre.

Every other Bond movie
    Every other Mission: Impossible movie
    The Peacemaker
    Next
    Under Siege
    etc.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  10. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    The Rock...sort of.

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The Mission: Impossible series defies a lot of conventions. A franchise lasting 22 years w/the same star and basic continuity? Heck, we're already on our third Spider-Man this century. The lack of a predictable release schedule. Typically franchises aim for every 3 years. In the M:I series we've had gaps of 4, 6, 5, 4 and 3 years respectively. And its wildly different directors (prior to McQuarrie helming back to back entries) has kept it from having a consistent tone. It's also gone against accepted wisdom by actually getting better as it's gone along. Not strictly so, but I think it's safe to say since part 2 it's been on a steady upward trajectory.

Violent Violet Menace, EHT and Sarge like this.
  12. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    @vin can't say I'm won over, but I agree; I did fall in love w/Thandie Newton ;).

vin likes this.
  14. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Not so. The only entry that comes close is Ghost Protocol, where the bad guy's plan hinges on using stolen Russian nuclear launch to trigger nuclear armegeddon. The maguffins in the other entries are:

• A list containing the identities of covert operatives (Mission: Impossible)
    • A virus (M:I 2)
    • A biological weapon known as "The Rabbit's Foot" (M:I 3)
    • A ledger containing mutliple bank acounts (Rogue Nation)

15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Am I the only one who suspects/theorizes...

that the Syndicate may have operated behind the scenes in Ghost Protocol, helping Hendricks? I know, that sounds too much like the plot of Spectre re: the earlier Craig-era Bond films.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm sure if you asked the writers, they'd say, "yeah, um, I guess. Sure, why not?"

Violent Violet Menace and Ramza like this.
  17. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I think Fallout is my favourite of the franchise. The bathroom fight alone was worth the price of admission.

When it comes to the series as a whole I don't love any of the films but I do find them all consistently watchable.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    MI:2 is the cinematic equivalent of pounding lots of cheap imported lager: it's tolerable, it gets you where you want to go, dangerous vehicular incidents occur, and multiple people use futuristic facial disguise technology to needlessly complicate the plot. Truly, it is the Tecate of films.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  19. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I've seen the first one.

didn't like it

not seen an of the others as they all star Tom Cruise and I can't stand Tom Cruise

Watching the first one was a mistake as I didn't realise he was in it when it started and by the time I twigged (playing on the laptop at the time if memory serves) the missus was enjoying it so it was watched.

no plans to watch any of the rest but for those who have watched and enjoyed then I envy you as I believe they are meant to be good films but have the big issue of Tom Cruise

Diggy likes this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I too dislike Tom Cruise. Have you watched Magnolia? He’s loathsome for a lot of that, but it also comes off as semi-autobiographical. Since that, I’ve disliked him less because I sort of just accept he isn’t playing a character, he’s playing tom Cruise.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Very clever thread title.

The only one I disliked was the 2nd one, by John Wu. That dude's action sequences are overrated. However, it did have two good soundtrack tunes from Metallica and Limp Bizkit.

Master_Lok likes this.
  22. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    The only films I can safely say I've seen that had Tom Cruise in are

Risky business - Was young (12 ish I think) but kind of enjoyed but it wasn't tom that did it.
    Mission Impossible - Awful
    Legend - Crap but Tim Curry may have helped
    Top Gun - no, just no
    Minority Report - What I saw was dire
    Rain man - Exceptional film. Purely via Dustin Hoffman
    Goldmember - Cameo
    Tropic Thunder - Cameo but will give him credit for an exceptional cameo
    Knight and Day - Complete fault of the missus (again) but actually enjoyed the stupidity of the film (I may have been drunk)
    The Mummy - Bredon Fraiser is looking for blood

Sarge and Diggy like this.
  23. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Saw Fallout this afternoon. Rogue Nation is still the best in the series for me, but this one was great. And that helicopter sequence was just sublime.

EHT likes this.
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  25. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i need to see the latest two. I was angry at the fourth one because sawyer should have been the sidekick instead of jeremy ranners (jeremy ranners is an idiot). instead they killed him off. ANYWAY the fourth one was still better than the second and third despite the bad crasting choice.