main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode IX Casting Announcement

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by CowMoo, Jul 27, 2018.

1. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    According to https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/27/entertainment/star-wars-9-cast-cast/index.html, the most surprising bit of news, besides the unreleased footage of Carrie Fisher from "The Force Awakens" that will be in Episode IX, is that Mark Hamill is also cast.

For those who hasn't yet seen The Last Jedi, I am placing the following speculation in spoiler tags:

Considering that Luke Skywalker "dies" at the end of The Last Jedi, in the Yoda, becoming one-with-the-Force fashion, I think this bit of public casting info hints at a possible flashback scene. Or a Force ghost scene.

Less sure, for me, is what context might be the Carrie Fisher, unreleased footage, that might be used. If I recall from The Force Awakens, Leia had her scenes in that Yavin-like bunker, apparently a planet called D'Qar, where the Resistance base was at. So, presumably, this unreleased footage would probably take place in the interior of some base or other.

TheYodaPagoda and Ricardo Funes like this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I fail to see how the casting of Mark Hamill comes as a surprise (though I'm glad it's confirmed).
    [​IMG]
    As for Leia - just because the original footage takes place at the Resistance base on D'Qar doesn't mean that the finished scene will. Cutting Leia out from one location and placing her in another is the least technically challenging bit of reusing old footage for the role.

Also, I changed the title of the thread so that people will know that the thread includes actual released information about Episode IX before clicking on it. [face_peace]

3. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Are Episode VIII spoilers free to discuss, or do we need to put them in spoiler tags. Last time around it didn't seem that important, but of course we want to be sure to remain spoiler-free for unreleased films.
    I don't know why they revealed whether or not Carrie Fisher was present in IX, I would've liked any appearance by her to be a surprise. Did anyone see the initial announcement from The Star Wars Show? They omitted Adam Driver's name in the cast announcement. Of course they did another video about an hour or so later and corrected it, but yikes, what an oversight!

4. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I was very happy to learn that Richard E. Grant will be joining the cast. Withnail and I is one of my favourite films. Grant is hilarious and acerbic. I can't wait to find out how his considerable talents will be put to use.

5. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    No shock with regarding the Luke and Lando appearances but I am very curious as to how they will handle the Leia bit. If it equates to a throw away cameo I'd rather they didn't.

christophero30 likes this.
  6. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Kinda dissapointed Benicio Del Toro isn't in it, I enjoyed DJ.

jaqen, Dandelo and christophero30 like this.
  7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    He's signed on to mumble his way through another film. :p I liked him too. He did a lot with a little part.

8. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I agree, seems kinda odd considering his ambivalent last scene.

9. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I guess it's a side effect for having 1 director for one movie, than another for the next, then the first one coming back. JJ decided DJ wasn't important to the story he wanted to tell, I guess. Kinda like how Rian decided Maz wasn't important to the story he wanted to tell.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Not that I wouldn't mind seeing DJ again but I kinda like if his final scene is his final scene "Maybe!" (leaves with dat sweet stack o phat cash)

11. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    TLJ spoiler below.

DJ is what Han Solo or Finn could have become, if they did not have morals.

End of line for DJ, he got his money and disappeared.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  12. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    That's my favorite line from DJ - "Maybe."

TheYodaPagoda and Lulu Mars like this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    ^ And it was Benicio who came up with it!

Agreed. They could easily recontextualize Carrie’s performance by splicing it together with new footage of other cast members and changing the surroundings. They might even tweak her outfit! After all, they did digitally remove her braid in TFA, didn’t they?

TCF-1138 likes this.
  14. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Yeah, I caught that. TLJ has special features to rival the movie itself, and considering it's my favorite Star Wars movie ever, that's saying something.

TheYodaPagoda and Lulu Mars like this.
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I must say, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked...:confused:

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IBTL!

17. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018