main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo How many times have you seen Solo? How many times do you plan to see Solo?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Leoluca Randisi, Jun 4, 2018.

1. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    So you say.

Here's a question for you then.

Lucasfilm and Disnel obviously understand marketing. They were willing to double the production budget as an investment to Solo. You think they did that to embrace a loss, especially from a controlled variable like marketing?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  2. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Three times. One time with my smaller son and two times with the older one. Just at the second time I could realize many details which evaded my attention at the first time.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  3. TOASTEROVEN

TOASTEROVEN Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    I saw it 3 times. Probably I could've been content with just 2, but there was so much detail in the production design that I wanted one more look at the vehicles, droids, taxidermy, etc.

Sudooku likes this.
  4. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    So is it a bad thing to bring things on big screen already to be seen in comics or to be read about in books? I wish they would do more like this.

5. Red Solo

Red Solo Jedi Knight

Jan 9, 2016
    I did not see it in theatre, too busy with life stuff.
    I will get it as soon as it is out on The Blue Rey.

6. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Went to the last screening (4:10 p.m.) at my local theater, my 17th viewing. One theater a bit further away, the last in the city, is still holding onto Solo for another week. I'm sure I'll see it there. That particular theater always is the last to keep each Star Wars movie. I guess that must be by design from Regal, because it has been this way no joke since 1999. I saw The Phantom Menace at that theater in October and I remember the people behind me were saying, "WHOA, Star Wars is STILL playing?!" It's a first-run theater but a bit of a bizarre profile as they're well out into the suburbs and they play at any given time 2-3 off-the-wall films, like either art house movies, independent movies (that barely get a theatrical release), and whatever is an "awards-y" type of film. Then they'll be the last port of call for big blockbusters like any Star Wars film, so my viewing run always ends there. Kind of funny how that works out. I think they had Rogue One for three weeks after everywhere else had ditched it, so they were responsible for another 7-8 viewings for me there.

After Solo I went to see Mission: Impossible -- Fallout in IMAX and it was amazing. I think it's the greatest pure action film of all time. The other candidates could only be chosen for nostalgia, but if I'm being objective, it's the best.

Guidman , MotivateR5D4 and Sudooku like this.
  7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    @Bowen! What's going on dude? Are we ever going to get another Ultimate Ticket for a Star Wars movie?

When they did it for RO, I think you and me combined made them realize it was a bad idea. I would have never seen it as many times as I did if I didn't have that ticket.

8. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    You mean, there is a ticket, with which you can see a certain movie for umpty times in the cinema selling that ticket? Where did Bowen write such?

9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    When RO came out, Regal Cinemas issued a ticket called the Ultimate Ticket. They had done it previously for Batman vs Superman. I don't know what other movies they've done it for. But basically, yea, it's a ticket, for $100, that granted someone one viewing per day for that movie for it's entire theatrical run at any Regal affiliated theater. I had bought it for RO, knowing that I would at least see it enough times to pay off the cost. As it turns out, having duck all going on in my life at the time, I ended up seeing it 2-3 times a week from Jan - March, since that's how long RO was in theaters around where I live. I know @Bowen did something similar. And so he and I would just come on here and talk about our viewings each time. If you go back and look, it's the thread titled "How Many Times Have You See Rogue One". It was fun. And I just joke that between he and I, they must have realized it was a bad idea. Because they haven't done the Ultimate Ticket for a SW movie since RO.

Sudooku likes this.
  10. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah the issue there is I think with most movies and franchises, there aren’t anywhere close to 1,000 lunatics like me who will actually want to see the movie and enjoy it dozens of times. So people buy those cards as a fun collectible item - I still have my Rogue One metal card, it was just awesome being able to take it out and use it. Reminded me of the nerd version of my dad’s American Express black (Centurion) card, all heavy and fun to hold in your hand. So Regal would sell 1,000 cards to things like Wonder Woman and I bet half of those people never watched the movie more than 3 times. So they probably made good money on the offerings.

But with Star Wars there absolutely are enough fans as crazy as us to make it a horrible money loser that makes MoviePass look like Amazon :p It’s very easy to justify the card if you’re even a decently enthusiastic Star Wars fan. IMAX tickets here are $20, and the card works on all formats, so 5 IMAX viewings to break even? That’s called opening week for me. It’s all free then after that lol. With Rogue One I think I hit them with 18 IMAX viewings before it was gone from that format so imagine they already lost about $250 of potential revenue right there and then I saw it 24 more times at $10-12 each.

In my case though I always see every SW movie a million times, it’s like my thing as a fan, so they actually did lose out on revenue by issuing the card to me because I would have still paid to see it with or without that card. It is possible I saw it maybe 5 or 8 more times because of the card though, just figuring I didn’t have any guilt over it. Didn’t cost me anything but my time, which is worthless - haha just joking! :D

Solo I haven’t paid much to see either in all honesty. I’ve saved up Regal points for ages because 1) MoviePass paid for every Last Jedi viewing that wasn’t in IMAX, Rogue One was on my card, and all of those screenings for TLJ and any other movie were adding points so I had TWELVE free movie tickets saved up! I haven’t paid to see Solo since it left IMAX, it’s all on Regal and I have 2 tickets left lol

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I went for #18 Tuesday night, new theater, and I believe the last in the Portland metro area to be showing Solo. It has a full screen, too. Definitely felt pretty bittersweet, like happy to be watching it, but sad there won't be another SW movie in theaters for a year and a half. There's an outside chance (I'd only put it around 10-15%) I won't be living in the city anymore by the time Episode IX arrives (and I really hope this is true lol), so it may be my last Star Wars movie mainly watched in this city. It was discount Tuesday, so there were about 8 people in the theater, not bad actually for 9:30 p.m. I bet the 6:30 showing was much busier.

I am bummed I won't be able to get to 20 viewings. I checked and the last showing in a first run theater in the entire metro area is Thursday at 3:10 p.m., same theater, then it disappears completely. Even more disappointing, the second run theater that has been around since the 1960s closed, "out of business," in late May which I didn't realize until yesterday. So that leaves no chance to get that 20th at a second run theater near me, really. I plan to go for #19 though on Thursday, close out the theatrical run just as I began it. I typically attend the last screening at many local theaters if possible, sort of my symbol of being there at the end as I was there at the beginning :D

12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m bitterly disappointed in you, Bowen. Each of your cinema viewings of a Star Wars film charges my hope batteries, and now I’m running dangerously low. Sad.

13. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Haha that's awesome! I always figured Solo would be a lower count for me, but I was shooting for the 15-20 range and that's where I'll land, so not altogether too shabby but it just wasn't around long enough to get up there higher.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    OK, I forgive you. I guess I’ll just have to watch more videos of baby goats in pajamas to keep those hope batteries charged until Episode IX.

Sudooku likes this.
  15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I went for the 19th and final time at the last first run showing in Portland. Three others, all solo too (hehe), witnessed the memorial service. It was beautiful. Solo died just as it lived - with not enough people appreciating its final act :p It was enjoyable seeing it again but I felt sadder than I thought I would leaving the theater for the last time. Knowing I won’t see “A long time ago...” grace a theater screen again for a long time, relatively speaking here.

Bor Mullet and Sudooku like this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Unfortunately I only made it to the theater once, as I had to pick between my 2 favorite movies of the year (Infinity War and Solo) and Infinity War won out for repeat viewings.

Can't wait to watch Solo again in a couple weeks though!

B99 and Sudooku like this.
  17. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I went for my 20th time at the discount theater, the final showing at the theater tonight. I hadn’t ever been to this particular theater but it is one of the oldest in Oregon, from the 1930s. Screen was great, sound was way too quiet and not very good, and seats are old and uncomfortable. I was happy to end on an even number... it was bothering me to be stuck at 19 forever :p I had to fix that! Lol.

On a side note how did it take decades upon decades for people who operate theaters to “discover” stadium seating?!? It was discovered like two thousand years ago by the Romans in the Colisseum or before even for all I know. I mean were these people just among the dumbest humans ever put on the earth or what? Because it should have been extremely obvious that you can’t have every row at the same height if you want people to be able to see a screen in front of them. It’s not rocket science.

BigAl6ft6 and Sudooku like this.
  18. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Wow! I didn't think any theater would still be showing it this far out from release. I'd have gone again too! :)

19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Well before the Romans. Ancient Greek theaters often had stadium-style seating.

20. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah haha I was more or less teasing that it certainly has been around a while ;)

I wish I could have caught Solo in September just to extend the months streak hehe. But I’ll wait for home release at this point like everyone else. It’s going to look and sound way better on my system than these discount theaters do!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Rodney-2187

Rodney-2187 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2015
    I saw Solo 7 times in the theater. I've seen it many times since via streaming, blu-ray, and 4K UHD (a work of beauty). I enjoy it very much, obviously. Any chance to enter that galaxy far, far away is one I will take. I foresee enjoying it for many years to come. May the Force be with you.

wobbits and Sudooku like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've only seen it once, and that was on opening night. I don't need to see it again, but if friends/family have it on, I guess I'd watch it then.

23. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    I watched it for the second time the other day. Was a lot better than I thought but I think I lost attention during the Kessel Run part for like 20 minutes or so. I'll need a rewatch before I review it.

Watched it about a year or so ago and barely paid attention throughout so I couldn't remember anything about it. Tried watching a couple of weeks ago and within half an hour I realised I hadn't been paying any attention. Not sure what it is about Solo but it really seems to struggle in grabbing me.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I like Solo a lot, but the Kessel Run is my least favorite sequence. Too much implausible stuff jammed into one sequence. Flying through a field of asteroids in a fog chased by TIES, surviving a crash-landing on an asteroid and flying away, escaping a giant space octopus, escaping the pull of a black hole, and just barely making it through the tiny space between two colliding planetoids. It was a lot.

DARTH_BELO, BRE and bb8isno1 like this.
  25. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    I have seen Solo twice at the cinema about ten times on dvd blu ray and disney plus. I like the film but imo think it is the weaker of the two anthology films.

Bor Mullet likes this.