main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Monday Mush Mania | Discussion & Index

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Monday_Mush_Mania, Jul 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yes, @ThisIsMe1138 ... For example, if the prompt is the word journey, you can write 100 words taking that word literally or symbolically. E.g., a family vacation versus a growing up experience.

2. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Okay, that makes sense.... I'll work on getting my muse to catch on ;)

3. Monday_Mush_Mania

Monday_Mush_Mania Jedi Master star 1

Jun 9, 2007
    No, you can mix and match characters and eras within sets however you'd like. As far as mixing fandoms, in the UDC, the rule was that for Multifandom entries, Star Wars drabbles must be posted on the Star Wars side of things and non-Star Wars drabbles were posted in NSWFF. However, I believe that some people mixed fandoms within the NSWFF drabbles (e.g., you could have a LOTR, Harry Potter and Marvel drabble in the same set, if you want)
    Yes, that's pretty much it! Here's an example:

Impulse
    The luminous orchid was just off the path, just out of reach, high enough that I'd have to jump to pick it. I don't know exactly why, but I did.

"Why that one?" Mara asked, as I tucked it in her hair.

I knew what she meant--it wasn't the biggest flower or the fanciest orchid. There were a lot of others that would have been easier to get. But this one was the right one. "Because it glows the brightest, just like you."

Mara's smile lit up the clearing. When she kissed me, it made the Force glow, too.

Hope that helps; let me know if you have more questions. :)

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  5. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Yep, that's great, thanks! [face_love]

6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I started writing my fic and I forgot when the date was, so I started worrying that I'd missed it. Glad to see I have plenty of time. [face_dancing]

Edit: I'm kinda nervous though as I haven't written anything in years. [face_worried]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  7. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I've got my Spoonfuls of Mush thread up and running on the SW side of things! "The Look of Love" is now a go. [face_love] [face_dancing] I'm working on my NSWFF answer to the challenge too, but my drabbles have become, well, erm, ficlets - so I will check back in with you guys when I can actually follow the rules as directed. :p :rolleyes::oops:[face_blush]

But, for the new discussion, which I love! [face_love]

I am going to be completely unoriginal, and go with Jane Austen's proposal scene in Pride & Prejudice - both of them, really. ;) And both Jane Eyre's proposal scene and then "reader, I married him." I don't often go for hardcore romance in my entertainment, but when I do, those are the greats for me! Donna's "I wouldn't stop for red lights" in TWW, and both Sam and Frodo's "I can't carry the Ring, but I can carry you"/"here at the end of all things, I'm glad I'm with you," dialogue on the slopes of Mount Doom kills me every time.

Then. for Star Wars, everything about Han and Leia's "I love you"/"I Know" and Luke and Mara's confession of love in VoTF will always be a ringer for my heart. You just can't beat it! [face_love]

I feel like there are so many more examples out there - maybe even better examples, but those are the first ones which jumped to mind. [face_love]

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm terrible at drabbles, but I'm going to give it a shot!

Discussion: Do you have a favorite “mushy moment” from film/TV or fiction?

Oh man, I do! A lot of them, but I'll try to contain myself!

As most everyone probably already knows (and Mira already mentioned) "I wouldn't stop for red lights" on The West Wing. And it's a great example of mush between two people who aren't in a romantic relationship. There are feelings there, but they can't/won't act on them, but it's still very mushy.
    (If you've not watched the show, the school girl outfit comment isn't as gross as it seems. That's their relationship, it's not a normal boss/assistant relationship, that's for sure.)

Brother's and Sisters when Kevin proposes to Scotty who says "because I changed the lightbulbs" and Kevin says "I even love the things about you that I hate, because you make me feel like I don't have to be anyone other than who I am. And to me, that feels like family."
    It's my very favorite tv/movie proposal.

Love Actually when Jamie goes to find Aurelia and he's learned Portuguese to be able to talk with her, and she learned English "Just in cases."

And of course, "I love you" "I know"

9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    My cold heart likes that one, too. <3 <3 <3 It's realistic. We do "thinks" just in "cases". We all do. <3

teamhansolo and mavjade like this.
  10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Out of curiosity, what are current word counts? I'm just over 1k so far, so I think I'm doing ok.

Also, would it be OK if I compiled all the entries into an ebook? Not sure how I'd share it, but I think it'd be neat.

ThisIsMe1138 and teamhansolo like this.
  11. Monday_Mush_Mania

Jun 9, 2007
    Happy Mushy Monday!

I don't have a discussion topic this week, but if anyone has something they'd like to discuss, feel free to chime in!

@moosemousse, I don't think there'd be a problem with creating an ebook collection as long as you got the individual authors' permission to include them. As far as sharing the ebook, perhaps someone who's familiar with ebooking could offer suggestions? Paging @Findswoman ...

Spoonfuls of Mush, Set #2
    Get ready to get your "d'awwwww" on for these :D
    1. Warm
    2. Fuzzy
    3. Sweet
    4. Cute
    5. Snuggle

12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    @Monday_Mush_Mania: Do I have to do all the spoon sets or can I do which ever ones I connect with?

13. Monday_Mush_Mania

Jun 9, 2007
    After giving it some thought, since our goal is to encourage mush writing and spread warm and fuzzy feelings,I think it's fine to relax the rules and allow sets to be posted in any order. I've changed the rules to reflect this. :)

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Sorry to be tardy in replying to this. I’ve seen folks use Google Drive and Dropbox links for sharing this sort of thing; that’s where I’d start. By the way, @moosemousse , what do you use for making ebooks? I’ve had very good results with calibre.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I do have Google Drive, so I'll drop them there. Thanks. :) I think it's Calibre that I've got. I've used it for converting stuff before, whatever it is I've got.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  16. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Okay, I have just started writing my drabbles, but I will try to catch up... wish me luck!! :D

Question: Are the drabbles supposed to me romantic-ish?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Raissa Baiard likes this.
  17. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    They can be any kind of mush you like-- family, friendship or romantic.

18. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Okay, cool... I am working on my first one right now :D I am still a bit confused as to how to post, but, oh well, I'll figure that out when I'm done the set :p

...21 minutes later... I have 5 different versions of the first drabble and am still not satisfied with any... this could take longer than I thought ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Raissa Baiard likes this.
  19. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    For sharing stories, I haven't used it a lot, but I know DeviantArt allows you to share PDFs.

Possible discussion question: I often see "fluff" used with or in a similar context as "mush." What are your definitions of fluff, and how is it similar to or different from mush?

20. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Hello everyone :) Someone tell me if this is against the rules, but can someone just clarify as to whether this qualifies as "mush' or not? I am kind of worried...

1. Surprise [Han/Leia]
    >>> Surprise: [noun] - an unexpected or astonishing event, fact or thing <<<

As Coruscant slowly rotated and the lights of the spacescrapers began to flicker on in time with the planet’s rigidly controlled environmental schedule, Leia entered the air-taxi station on the Senate level. A barely-dormant headache settling behind her forehead, she leaned against the bench and felt her eyelids droop; they didn’t open until the uneven hum of a speeder woke her from her doze.

Blearily, she blinked, sure that it was just the drowsiness and sleep that had changed the taxi driver for the image of her husband. But when he flashed his lopsided grin, any doubts disappeared.

“Surprise, sweetheart.”

21. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    @ThisIsMe1138, You have tons of support around here and I am here to tell you not to overthink it.:D Han surprising Leia by picking her up, especially on a day when she is having a headache, is mush enough. [face_love] You can do it. Now, I have to determine if I can.[face_nail_biting]:p

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @ThisIsMe1138 -- that was delightful as everything else you've written... full of warmth and yummily in character. =D= [:D]

23. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello, all! I am happy to share my second set of mushy spoonfuls right here!

And where is everyone else's threads, that said?? These are so inspiring and uplifting to write. Let the happy feelings flow, fellow authors; you can do it! ;) [face_dancing][face_love]

24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Finally realised my problem with this thread. A triggering word in its name. :(

25. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Not unusual. A lot of people who work, profess a dislike for "Mondays".