main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Awakens Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by jeykey, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I haven't been overly enamoured with the last two saga scores from John Williams. However, "Rey's Theme" is magnificent.

"The Scavenger", which utilises it, is the best track on the soundtrack album.

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I'm still mystified that anyone who loves Star Wars music could dismiss any of the eight Williams scores. Say what you want about the PT or the ST, I believe the music is above reproach and incredibly consistently good.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    For me, the fantastic leitmotifs of the original trilogy felt less prominent in the Prequel and Sequel movies. The score moved to a more "generic" overall tone. That isn't to say Williams' quality diminished, far from it, it's just that I felt there were less "unique" themes and recognisable motifs. "Rey's Theme" was definitely a return to that, in that it is instantly recognisable and a unique melody.

The sequel trilogy scores are bland by comparison. "The Jedi Steps" is very good though, I must admit.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Meaning that not as many of the OT themes were used in the PT and ST? Because, of course not. Many of them are inherent to the OT and don't necessarily work through the whole saga (Luke and Leia's theme being a great example). Or are you saying that there were not enough new themes written for the PT and the ST? Because I think that can be discussed without it being like... the newer scores are not as good. Plus the OT originated an entire library of themes, naturally it's going to have a higher count.

For the record, the count:

OT - 21 motifs
    PT - 16 motifs
    ST - 17 motifs

So honestly, each trilogy has a pretty high number of new motifs. It seems like maybe your issue is that these newer motifs are just not as unique and recognizable, which is not quantifiable, really. I do think that the OT themes especially are so unique and recognizable to us because we've been listening to them for 35-40 years. It always takes a while for newer stuff to settle in, especially alongside something as good as the Force theme or the Imperial March.

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Somehow the ST scored just haven't gelled with me... Yes they do have moments of brilliance (Jedi Steps is fantastic as already mentioned) but for me they just aren't working... TLJ is easily the weakest of all the movies musically for me.

Oh and great to see you back with your colours Tim. [:D]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  7. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    But it is true that the OT in general relies far more heavily on leitmotifs than the PT. It doesn't matter how many new themes there are, but it does matter how prominently they are used. Williams, in general, has evolved towards a less theme-based style.

8. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    It's only been around for about two and a half years, but my love for "Rey's Theme" seems to have grown exponentially. We heard some growth in TLJ, and I'm very much looking forward to cues with new variants in Episode IX.

sethg likes this.
  9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Reliance upon Leitmotif does not necessarily make a good score. Williams has evolved, as you said. I would also say that Empire Strikes Back in particular relies too much on the Imperial March. I am a big fan of how each trilogy has a different style to its scores, despite them all sounding overall like Star Wars in general. I think that's part of a concerted effort by Williams, but also a natural impact of his style evolving over decades. The scores for the OT, the PT and now the ST are different from each other, but that is part of what makes them good.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett and oierem like this.
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    So, this is interesting. Has anyone brought this up?

11. ronifer

ronifer Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2018
    That's a totally awesome score as always.

Howard Hand likes this.
  12. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I've been listening to this score a lot lately. Rey's theme is what really sets the tone for the ST. It isn't heroic like Luke's theme, romantic like Leia's theme, or naive like Anakin's theme. It feels closer to Across the Stars -- haunting and beautiful, but full of yearning where ATS seems to know what's coming. That's the best way I can describe it.

What really sets this score above the other ST scores for me is the powerful way Williams ends it. The Jedi Steps cue is perfectly mysterious and fitting for Luke's re-introduction to the saga, and the segue from Binary Sunset to the end credits was executed much more organically than it was in ROTS. The end credits suite is beautifully scored, capturing every excellent theme/motif from the film and then closing on a quiet and thoughtful note. It's probably my third favorite finale/end credits suite behind ANH and TESB.

I don't think I fully appreciated this score upon its release, but it has aged wonderfully.

Bacon164, Sarge and Howard Hand like this.
  13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's always good to hear. I agree with a lot of what you said. I too think the end titles are phenomenal.

14. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I have only seen the movie and don't own the soundtrack or have listened to it. The last SW CD I bought was ROTS. So judging from the movie alone, sadly, I have to say that it's very unremarkable, with maybe some exceptions. What really bothered me was the overuse of the Imperial theme, and also Yoda's Theme which is randomly used throughout the movie, and during the victory celebration of all places? Where is Yoda anyway? He does not even appear as a Force ghost. Also, why reuse "Han & Leia" and "Luke & Leia"? Why not use the new themes more? The Force theme is also heavily reused numerous times. The end credits, yet again, reuses the "Imperial March", as if it were not played enough in the movie already. Why not use those new themes (I honestly remember only 1) more or longer? Besides in its original version it is also called "Darth Vader's Theme". Neither Vader nor the Empire is in this movie, so I feel it's completely misplaced, and I can't help feeling that it's yet another case of fan service. Oh yes, and once again as with the entire ST, any PT theme is glaringly absent. I mean, since OT themes are heavily reused anyway, why not include prequel material, some of which is nothing short of excellent? I'm not asking to hear "Across the Stars", which would be completely out of place and belongs strictly in the prequels only. But more general themes like the arena theme, "Duel of the Fates" or "Battle of the Heroes" wouldn't have bothered me, instead of hearing the "Imperial March" for roughly the 100th time.
    I don't want to be all negative. I did like the music where Rey and Kylo are in the Sith temple, and when Rey flies to Tatooine. In fact I did like the ending very much, even though a movie ending with the binary sunset at the Lars farm has been done before in ROTS. But in TROS I see it as a homage, and it worked quite well.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  16. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Ok

17. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
  18. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    Of the three soundtracks, I do agree that TFA is a masterpiece and that the other two lack the same magic overall. However, there are some terrific moments on TLJ like 'The Spark' and on TROS such as the title track, and I must be one of the very few that absolutely loved the Finale. Stayed seated in the theater at film's end just to hear the whole track.

19. Sith Lord Koala

Sith Lord Koala Jedi Padawan

Feb 10, 2021
    Like for me; I love Rogue one's soundtrack----but Force awakens for me is right up there with it as they are two of my favorites in a list of more that i also enjoy. The impact of a score for a movie can greatly motivate you to want more or not want more. When i first heard force awakens film soundtrack I was feeling the instance of the movie's story; same can be said for rogue one; as both films play you can "feel" the impressions by the music playing. Great stuff

20. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    It's a lovely theme. The first melody evokes a kind of sad loneliness which is Rey's situation, but it does lift into something more hopeful with the second melody. It's a wonderful piece.