main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Star Wars Celebration 2019 Hotels

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , May 16, 2018.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Actually the legions have not gotten any rooms yet. There is a room block reserved for them, but no information on which hotel, prices or how many rooms. They don't get free rooms, or the best rooms or anything like that. Last time in Orlando the legion hotel was quite far off from the convention centre, so a lot of people stuck with their regular reservations.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  2. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    Wow . . . I couldn't make it to Celebration 8.
    I was at WDW during that time. But it appeared as if there was less
    buzz about Orlando than in years past.

3. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Ooooo! I did not know about the legions hotel situation in Orlando! I thought they would have been able to be close by with all of the equipment they must haul around! poor things! I hope they are able to be at one of the 2 attaching hotels for their sake. Oh! by the way, please check your hotels and make sure there are laundering facilities-laundry rooms! my poor hotel only has dry cleaning-ugh! I don't like bringing home dirty clothes. my hotel is the Best Western River North.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You could ask if there is a laundromat nearby when you check in.

5. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    That's true, but my husband advised me not to go around the neighborhood, her grew up there and his sister gives us regular reports on what happens, I wish it was that easy.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you have other friends going and they are at different hotels maybe one of those will have laundry facilities you can use.

7. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    Spoke to a several people at Fanboy expo last weekend and most weren’t going to Celebration due to location cost (even though they live in nearby states) or worse the whole tickets issue. Met a couple who was going but only had tickets for a few sporadic days cause of the sell out. One still had a room reserved at the Hyatt next door but no badge. Kinda sad to see how the struggle people are going through so far in advance

EnviousSerious-Rue likes this.
  8. EnviousSerious-Rue

May 4, 2009
    I too, have spoken to some people here in my region. People are keeping their decision of
    attending to themselves. Evidently there appears to be an alleged secrecy by some. I have
    been asked not to reveal their decision. Don't have any idea why but I'm sure I'll know by April.
    IMO, I believe this has more to do with room/hotel/ticket availability. People are scrambling, hoping
    some fans will cancel their reservations for personal reasons.
    I can say this though. There are people whom I know are checking everyday for cancellations.

9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    That's the worst feeling, when it's totally out of your control, but still within your grasp.

I have a feeling what's going to happen is walking groups will start formulating. On facebook, twitter, reddit. Because no solution is going to magically present itself. And once people come to terms with that, I think we'll start seeing a lot of conversations about people booking at various hotel clusters surrounding the McCormick area, with the plan to get as many people to book there, and have the intention of making it a regular thing that people will go in groups from that cluster of hotels to the convention center.

Also, if further away hotels can see this and are smart about it, they ought to begin offering their own shuttle service to McCormick throughout SWC. Just their standard shuttle, at regular 30 or 60 minute intervals, will be making a trip to McCormick, and will also pick up from McCormick. Individual hotels could easily facilitate this for their guests. That hotel only. It's done all the time at hotels that are near tourist attractions. It would be a small trade off to offer to people, and it would serve them will if they are looking to have a packed house that weekend. Keep in mind, these hotels would be much further out. But I'd imagine something like this could work for people, just given the circumstances. Between that, or the daily grind of just having to get there each morning, I think people would go for this. If you are in this position, it might even serve you well to call several hotels and begin suggesting they do this, and whichever hotel you can work out doing this with, book there. Then perhaps suggest they offer it to other attendees and make it a regular thing. Hotel managers ought to seize on that, after doing their own research about it obviously, not just taking the word of a random patron.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  10. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Heads up everyone: if you have elite status with Marriott, even if the location next to the center is sold out, they will book you a room there. Only thing is, someone who is not an elite member will be moved to another Marriott location. This has just happened, several people have gotten emails from Marriott that their hotel location has been changed. And someone who is an elite member bragged about using that status to get a room at the one next door to the center. Same concept works for other chains. Apparently they move people who booked through 3rd party sites first

11. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Wow. I'd be furious if I got bumped like that.

12. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    @Padme501st: Where did you see those conversations?

I'd be furious too. I'm surprised OnPeak aren't putting a stop to that.

13. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It's probably not people who have booked through OnPeak, but booking.com, hotels.com or any other third party booking site.

14. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Facebook Celebration 2019 group is where it was posted. The guy with the elite membership posted about calling them and using his elite status to get a room. Details started emerging from there.

It’s apparently standard service though Onpeak should be safe

15. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Jeez that's horrendous!

I get them holding some rooms back for Elite members (which could then be opened up nearer the date) but to bump people out is just not right.

16. EnviousSerious-Rue

May 4, 2009
    That is one reason why I don't use third party hotel sites. I've heard
    numerous of stories from others who experienced the old, "switch-eroo".

17. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I got a room at the Hyatt about 2 1/2 miles away. Hoping I might be able to share the room with someone else, or two. That said, I am keeping an eye out on the OnPeak site for changes. Historically, a lot of rooms are suddenly available a month or two prior, usually due to cancellations or card checks that don't pass. I have my 5 day badge, so getting in isn't a big concern of mine, I'm much more concerned with the cost of lodging and everything else.

18. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I booked an Airbnb down the street, it was like $500 for 4 nights. And it's also got a ton of space if anyone finds themselves in a pinch.

19. haveahiddles

haveahiddles Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2018
    I'm in a pinch. Need some room-mates? Where is the AirBNB? DM me?

20. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I assume it's the Hyatt Regency? If so, I will be at the same one. Actually worked out for me, as originally I booked a hotel on West Harrison before I decided to check onpeak...

21. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Has anyone checked their OnPeak reservations recently?

I used to be able to adjust my dates, if rooms were available, but I can't do that anymore (the drop downs aren't available). I have 9-12 and 14-17 and I've been checking every few days in case those last two nights popped up.

It might just be the Marriott Marquis as it's no longer showing (even as sold out/no rooms available) on the hotel list anymore.

22. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I just checked. My reservation looks fine (Mariott Magnificent Mile). It does look like the Mariott Marquis has been removed completely. I assume as long as your reservation shows up, you're fine.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  23. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Thanks.

Haha, looks like I'm stuck with a hole in my dates. Hopefully they'll put it back up nearer the time if any get cancelled.

24. zcure1

zcure1 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 10, 2013
    @ChrisLyne They were doing a computer update this weekend, but it is back. There is a Friday available on there now for single bed btw. I have book end reservations there too and I keep looking to complete the days.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  25. zcure1

zcure1 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 10, 2013
    And it is gone now. Anyone else looking for certain days there ? I need the Friday and the Saturday with a double bed. If not I have the Chicago South Loop Hotel, which thanks to a recommendation on this thread, I booked before they raised the prices.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018