main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #20-25: The Catastrophe Con (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, May 18, 2018.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, but it is becoming a bit tiresome and repetitive at this point. How many more hijinks are we going to see her pull off? How much chaos will she create?

She's become a bit too childish imo. No sane adult would act the way she does, jumping after every bit of treasure with zero regards for her own life. There's being greedy and then there's being some cartoon kind of greedy.
    In Vader she was cocky and adventurous, yes, but there was a more serious side to her, the jokes were a coping mechanism to deal with all the bull**** she has lived through (we get to see that in the excellent Vader issue in which she kills the mortician). Now she's kinda the Harley Quinn of Star Wars.

Triple Zero added some darkness to the whole series which was direly needed, but he's still out of the picture. I hope this series takes a turn into a more serious direction again.

2. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I think part of it is the “comic book stasis”. Characters are never allowed to change or evolve too much in serialized stories. I don’t think that’s really a good model for Aphra.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think it's more the fact Doctor Aphra doesn't seem to believe in anything or have any friends so she's suddenly become a character with no actual depth or ability to be characterized.

Does she have any dreams? Any passions other than treasure?

She's lost a lot of depth somewhere.

4. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I agree with you all and must say that for the past two arcs I've found some of the supporting cast (e.g. Sister Six, Posla, Bog) much more entertaining than Aphra herself. She's so consistently an awful person -- which was fine for a while, a character can of course be entertaining without being likable or relatable -- but I'm becoming less and less interested in her character because I've been seeing and expecting the same ol' same ol' out of her. I still find the series on the whole enjoyable.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well there was the arc with her dad, but I didn't feel it added all that much to her character. Aphra doesn't seem capable of deep relationships and that's fine, but then you need to show her crying in a corner a bit more. Deep down she knows she is a worthless being.

Maybe Aphra could be the cause of Tolvan's death and then she finally regrets something, it would be fitting I think.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Solid issue just cuz I like seeing all of the bad things happening to her ontop of each other, and the art by Kev Walker is aces.

7. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
  8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    did... did they just KILL THE CANTINA BAND?
    what the heck, man!

revan772 likes this.
  9. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    Omigosh, I thought they were just random Bith crewmembers until I looked closer at the bits ejected with them. One piece is definitely a bandfill. What the heck indeed! That better be a tribute band! :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    BigAl6ft6, FS26 and Darth_Accipiter like this.
  10. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Dr. Aphra’s criticism of “monomaniacs” shows an amusing lack of self-awareness.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    "As you say, Beetee, Bleep." [face_laugh]
    I don't know why, but that was totally hilarious.

12. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Wait... did they really... what....

Edit: Also, Aphra has a shape shifting friend now. If she comes face to face with Vader again, I see an easy out for her.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    spicer, Senpezeco and TiniTinyTony like this.
  13. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think it'd be a very bad idea for Aphra to keep running circles around Vader.

Vader has bigger fish to fry than Aphra.

14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    There is good news for you:
    Aphra lives!
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #26
    SI SPURRIER (W) • EMILIO LAISO (A)
    Cover by ASHLEY WITTER
    GALACTIC ICON VARIANT COVER BY ROD REIS
    DOCTOR APHRA — WORST AMONG EQUALS!
    • On the run from the law in an alien city, DOCTOR APHRA can’t stray more than a few paces from her companion without both of them blowing up.
    • Time to cooperate, right? Except, unfortunately, her companion is Triple-Zero, a sadistic murderdroid who’s more interested in her death than playing nice.
    • A brand-new misadventure for the galaxy’s foremost amoral archaeologist starts here!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

revan772 likes this.
  15. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Did i just read see the end of some ANH characters in this last issue ??

16. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Probably not. It hasn't been confirmed either way yet, though.

17. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Even though I don’t read the comics anymore, the stuff I’ve gleaned from Wookieepedia, previews, Internet articles etc, this comic series really explores all the cool and bizarre stuff in the Star Wars universe. Jedi robots. Sentient bio hazards. Hutt Clone Troopers. (Whatever that means). The fact that Aphra is an archeologist means she gets to see these cool, and off the beaten track things so this is as close as “Star Treking” Star Wars will ever get.

My only regret is that’s Aphra isn’t confirmed to be bisexual. It’d be cool if she had a love interest in Luke Skywalker in addition to various women.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  18. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    In practice it's a lot more Indiana Jones than Star Trek, although even the IJ vibe is overstated. If anything, the overall feel of the series -- and I honestly just now put my finger on this -- is like a Terry Gilliam Star Wars film. And having thought of it that way, I think I understand my affinity for it a little better!

BigAl6ft6, cthugha and Darth_Pevra like this.
  19. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    I always read her as Bi She had a ton of chemistry with both Vader and Luke

20. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I guess thats true. I remember she said something weird to Vader, like "I never wanted anything more". It was weird but definitely something.

21. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    This is a bit unrelated, but was it ever explained what the Massassi had to do with the Ordu Aspectu? That seems to be a still dangling thread from the history element of the series. In general I'd like it if the series got a bit more into the archaeology aspect again. The past few stories have been great, but seem to have lost what initially attracted me to the series.

darklordoftech and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    No, it was never explained. The series teases a lot about History, but hardly ever explains anything. It's like they keep mentioning the Hundred-Year Darkness in passing.

darklordoftech and Sinrebirth like this.
  23. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    I think they won't go into the hundred year darkness fully until they figure out if there doing movies during that period

spicer and Supreme Leader Woke like this.
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I love Aphra and her comics. I actually hope one day her, Luke and Lor san tekka go together search for old artifacts. How long you this her comics will last, if over 31 she'll longest after star wars comics. we're nearing ESB and i think once we get there she can join star wars comics her comics can only last so long.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #27
    SI SPURRIER (W) • EMILIO LAISO (A)
    Cover by ASHLEY WITTER
    GALACTIC ICON VARIANT COVER BY ROD REIS
    WORST AMONG EQUALS: PART TWO!
    • Rogue archaeologist DOCTOR APHRA has ten hours to cross a hostile megacity before the bomb implanted in her throat blows up.
    • No big deal, right? And even if there ARE, say, insane cops and bounty hunters on her tail—she’s got a partner to help her!
    • (Unfortunately that would be TRIPLE ZERO: the astonishingly unpleasant murder droid who yearns to see her dead.)
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018