main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Crown

Discussion in 'Community' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 4, 2016.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Did you just refer to a King of England as a "ripping dude"?

Get the **** out of here and never, ever return.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    GrandAdmiralJello - just finished episode 7. I assume based on the timing that we won't see Suez in Season 1?

Given the somewhat tragic - or, more accurate, pathetic - fall of Eden I imagine it'll get some play time later.

3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Speak your mind Cor!

5. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I wrote about an episode you haven't seen yet. My mistake.

Episode 8, specifically. I don't know whether Suez is covered this season or not.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We don't, and it's just as well. It deserves an arc I think -- and it's a good tease for the beginning of next season.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Good. I'm glad.

I also wonder if the 1975 Constitutional Crisis will ever get a mention...

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Where is the love for series 2?

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven’t started it yet but that might happen today. I loved series 1.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The excellence continues!

12. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    It’s better

13. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Just finished episode 6 (of series 1). Very sad about Elizabeth and Margaret (er, sorry, Her Majesty and Her Royal Highness)--I'm confident the two will patch things up by the end of the season though.

Apparently this show is supposed to go six seasons and swap out for older actors every two seasons as the characters/historical figures age. I'm curious where season 6 will end--Brexit? Or perhaps the Diamond or Sapphire Jubilee? It was an interesting decision to create this massive biopic while the subject is still alive. I'm glad they have though (and I hear the Queen herself rather enjoyed series 1).

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, they are switching the actors. Olivia Colman is playing Liz in the next couple of series. She has a tough act to follow, Foy is brilliant.

Lady Belligerent and Rew like this.
  15. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I’m sad they’re recasting and fail to understand why the current cast couldn’t have been aged a bit for season 3. Foy has been amazing and Matt Smith is stellar as Prince Phillip.

16. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm just starting season 2. The first season was a delight but it took me forever to finish it because of other pre-occupations. Hoping to finish this season before 3 drops!

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Some pics of the new cast. Some have been out a few weeks, others not. Filming started in July and it will be out in 2019.

[​IMG]
    Liz

[​IMG]
    Marge

[​IMG]
    Antony Charles Robert Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon, GCVO, RDI

[​IMG]
    (Christ, he's aged horribly) Phil

I'm assuming Lord Mountbatten will be in the next season quite a lot, along with a more prominent Charles. Mountbatten's death would be right around the time the season should end. And if it does go that far, also our first peak at England's Rose @};-

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Master_Rebado, Rew, tom and 1 other person like this.
  18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Tobias Menzies looks weird in that photo, and it isn't just the blonde hair.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Perhaps because they also blonded his eyebrows? An unusual thing.

20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Saw the first episode. Not too bad, although some of the dialogue was a bit on the nose. And Olivia Colman didn't capture Her Majesty's slightly waddly walk quite as well as Claire Foy.

But, for crying out loud, would it be really that hard to put a pair of blue contact lenses on her??

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Call me when they get to the several seasons due to be dedicated to Meghan Markle. I suggest Gugu Mbatha-Raw in the lead.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Walk and eyes aside, I didn’t care for the amount of honour and time the show bestowed upon that ******** Winston Churchill.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I’m having a really hard time adjusting to the cast change. I love Olivia usually, but...not in this. I can’t stand Toby in anything. Not a good mix.

I’ve just started the third episode, and if the date shown at the start is referring to what I think it is...grim.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  24. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I think Tobias Menzies is the best piece of casting so far. He's a much better Phillip than Olivia Coleman is the Queen (or, God have mercy, Helena Bonham Carter is Margaret).

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I've seen the whole season three, binged it over two days. Overall I think the cast changes work, I would say that Tobias Menzies is great and I prefer the new Earl Snowdon and Queen Mother. The only new actor that doesn't work at all is Helena Bonham Carter. I like her as an actress, but I have a hard thing seeing her as anything but Helena Bonham Carter.

Overall I think season three is clearly weaker than season one and two. It felt like they just wanted to jump the series to the 1980s so that they can bring in Diana and Thatcher. The big time, and sometimes unclear, time jumps made it hard to feel that there was a season arc, instead it was 10 different episodes. I think I would have preferred if they had split it into two seasons, with the younger cast staying on for the 1960s and then switching for a 1970s season.