main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index The All New Beta Readers Index - Need a beta? Want to beta? Come on In!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Beta Index, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Phasmus

Phasmus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2018
    I'm all for this topic becoming more active. As a writer, what I'm looking for in a good beta reader is an eye for detail, and for really helping me create a connection to the characters to the reader. I think this is definitely a skill and I'm enamored with other writers who are able to acheivesuch a personal link between the reader and the characters of a story. A great friend of mine seemingly has the ability to do this. I think it's a gift.

I also value a beta who is able to critic my work in an "easy to digest" kind of way, if that makes sense.

ThisIsMe1138, mavjade and Sith-I-5 like this.
  2. SideZeo

SideZeo Jedi Padawan

Jan 22, 2018
    Requesting a Beta

Era:
    Beyond the Saga
    Story Type: AU, New-Saga, OC's, New Factions, Continuation of Legends-Story (though slightly modified), Action, Military, (heavily influenced by KOTOR)
    Length: First Chapter, About 9000+ words across ten pages (60'000 Words across all current eight chapters)
    Summary:
    It began rather simple with the question "What if the people in the galaxy grew sick of force-users always waging wars?". And out of this question grew the monster that I know today as "Star Wars: Grey Sun". Because from an outsiders-perspective the fact that Jedi and Sith are continously killing each other has to look rather weird. Aside from the fact that a worrying amount of modern Sith-Lords consist of fallen Jedi, their wars also tend to be extremely destructive, with superweapons and force-storms destroying whole landscapes or even entire planets. So take all this into account and add another gigantic war, similiar to the ancient Jedi/Sith wars of the old Republic, with the normal people getting sick and tired of being drafted into essentially a religious conflict.

The main story plays 400 years after the movies, about 300 after Legends material stopped, in a galaxy that has eradicated any Jedi and Sith, with a galactic empire that calls itself the "Grey Empire", because they are neither on the side of light or darkness, choosing to be on the side of the common people. The story follows five protagonists (though one is a non force-user) in their struggles to survive in this galaxy, while trying to reestablish any form of order for force-users and get rid of the empire that is hunting them down. The first five chapters act as prolouges for them.

Type of Beta intervention wanted:
    Mainly grammar (because English isn't my native language and though I got a degree in Cambridge English Advanced, I tend to make rather stupid mistakes) Pacing, Character developement, Dialogue, possibly trimming - because as you can see, I have trouble keeping it short...
    Other info: Knowledge of Legends EU is necessary in this story; though there aren't too many references, the universe as a whole functions the same as in Legends. There aren't any direct retcons, but I do fill in some holes that are still present in Legends.
    In terms of drafting I'm already at chapter eight, but due to the fact that my first two drafts of a chapter are worthless, I need to go over my material multiple times; so if you spot any sentences that seem out of place, that might be the reason. I'd be thankful for any opinion on those, or even corrections. And as the summary above suggests, this thing is enormous and to a degree overly ambitious. So if you're not a fan of reading a lot of material, my stuff probably isn't going to be fun. But if anyone wants to stick around as a Beta, I'd be very thankful. I already have a buddy who I brain-storm with for the story, but I'm always open to other ideas or opinions.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  3. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Hey guys! Looking for a beta reader, think this is the right place ;)

In need of a Beta
    Era: Han's childhood... I don't know, you can do the math :p I guess beginning of the Empire?
    Story Type: Somewhat Solo AU, started it after watching the trailer before seeing the movie. Brand new to all of this, but would say maybe angst and eventually H/C?
    Length: Separated into chapters that are around 500 words long (almost wrote pages by accident. Way to not find a beta, me.)
    Summary: Follows Han Solo's childhood, some taking place when he is 8, some after Solo? My idea of the betrayals he went through as a kid and how he changed into a decent guy to a cold criminal back to a great guy. Includes an O/C.
    Type of Beta intervention wanted: Any opinions, characterization is the most important thing to me, grammar help, plot, anything really. Would like someone to read my stories/chapters before throwing them out there
    Other info: I have maybe about a third or half of this done, although I have already roughly plotted out the chapters.

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Sign me up. I need to get off my cycling-sculpted-perfect-rear. :D

5. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    What is that supposed to mean? :confused:

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    That I want to beta your story and that I had too much caffeine already. :eek:

7. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Oh. That's understandable... Anyways... nevermind, going into PM

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    It's been a long time since I've used a beta, but i have started a story featuring Dr. Harter Kalonia and it feel unwieldy. Be warned there is not much too it at this point, but I thought another set of eyes would be nice. Any takers? Shoot me a PM.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  9. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    @mavjade @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha and anyone else who knows: Are there requirements to be a beta? Are we just talking like sharing ideas and suggestions or like do you need experience, i don't know, anything?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    No. It depends on what the writer is looking for, really, a lot of writers just want a second set of eyes to suggest edits for typos/incorrect spelling/grammar, others like having someone to bounce ideas for story structure off off.

Ewok Poet and ThisIsMe1138 like this.
  11. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Okay, cool. I'll probably put myself up for betaship in a little bit then. It's late where I am [face_tired]

teamhansolo and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. staticsticks

staticsticks Jedi Padawan

Jul 18, 2018
    User name: staticsticks
    Era: NJO
    Area of Interest: J/J, J/Tk, AU, pilots, battles, twin suns, vanguard squadron, Chiss
    Era: Beyond
    Area of Interest: LOTF, FOTJ, Mandos, politics, J/J
    Era: Clone Wars
    Area of Interest: Clones, Jedi, Ventress, Anakin’s mental health
    Strong points: Mush, military, combat, angst, drama, action, humor
    Focus of Correction Areas: Grammar, pacing, continuity
    Word Limit: none! Give me whatever you’ve got.
    Other Info: I can probably turn around average length works in 2-3 days but can work faster if needed. Feel free to propose work outside of what I listed. Those are my favs but my brain is spongey so I’ve got a bunch of other stuff rolling around. Also, Thrawn.

Basically I’m happy to be merely a second set of eyes or a sounding board for ideas/collaboration.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  13. bango31

bango31 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 14, 2016
    @staticsticks, if you're up for a lengthy read, I'll hit you up.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    staticsticks likes this.
  14. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Hi guys! I have this fic with two OC's who are in the Imperial Academy, and I'm pretty happy with the first half, but need some help with the second one. I have a bunch of different versions of this one paragraph, and need help putting them together. :pIs there anyone available to Beta it?

15. staticsticks

staticsticks Jedi Padawan

Jul 18, 2018
    Absolutely!!! Sorry I missed this. Shoot me a PM!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Hi. I've gotten slightly stuck on my DDC story, and could use somebody to bounce ideas off of, so if you're interested, shoot me a PM. I'd really like to not fall behind on it, so a quick response would be much appreciated. Thanks.

17. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    I have a helper for the above story, and they are helpful. (And I do plan to finish the story eventually, I swear. Just focusing on other stories right now.)

That said, I need help with something else. I require the assistance of someone who is familiar with the Poldo ship, and who isn't involved in the Fanfic Summer Olympics. I have a general summary of plot, but I need someone to bounce ideas off of.

18. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Looking for someone to beta the first half of a Kit/Del fic (Family of Scoundrels). It's a bit under 25 000 words so far and about half done but I actually want to finish it before I post it so it doesn't languish like some of my other stories are currently doing.

Looking for someone to find the clumsy sentences and plot holes.

Kahara, mavjade and Findswoman like this.
  19. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Should have been a bit clearer - it's when Kit and Del first meet. Lots of angst and drama.

I'll happily swap and beta in return.

20. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Looking for a beta for a short story:

Era: Non Star Wars -- it's a Star Trek fic
    Story Type:
    Length: One-shot, about 4 typed pages
    Summary: Four Starfleet officers debrief after a rescue mission to a space station studying the Mirror Universe. Written in response to the "Monster Challenge." I'd rate it a PG.
    Type of Beta intervention wanted: General editing (grammar, sentence structure, plot flow). I also have two specifics on which I would like feedback: does the situation seem plausible, and are the non-human names confusing?
    Other info: Looking for someone to read just this story. Familiarity with the Star Trek universe a plus, but not critical -- I would like the story to be understandable to most readers. No deadline -- whenever it gets done is fine.

21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    I love Star Trek! Count me in!

22. PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 14, 2017
    I need advice...

I'm asking someone to read chapter 9 of my third book in the Sith Politics series.

I want to know what you think about it, what about the chapter "is too clunky," what needs to go, and why. Or why it's fine the way it is and why, or maybe it can stay but change this, that, or the other about it.

The chapter is 34 word processor pages, 15,553 words long. I consider it to be a transitional chapter of several plot points. That is that this chapter sets up the transition of a few subplot elements of the story. However, there is also a good amount of flash back history going on in this chapter.

Are there any willing to help me understand what can stay and what needs to go, and why? Or why it's fine the way it is, and why?

I'm asking about a single chapter, not the whole book (at least not yet - I'm still proof reading and making revisions)...

23. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    Should I just post the chapter and hope that someone will Beta Read it? Or should I wait for someone to volunteer?

24. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    After some revisions, it is now 36 word processor pages and 16,451 words long.

I need a beta reader to go over it.

What I really need guidance on is, a) Is it clunky, what needs to go, and why? Or, b) is it fine the way it is and why it's fine as is? Or, c) Maybe it can stay the way it is, but change this, that, or the other about it (more detail, less detail, too confusing, etc).

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  25. lonewriter

lonewriter Jedi Master

Jun 8, 2010
    I would need to read the entire fanfic first but it sounds good.