main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious Criminals

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Krueger, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I apologise if there's a thread for this. I searched and couldn't find one. I just found this listing on Amazon UK. It comes out on 16th October 2018 and it’s written by Pablo Hidalgo. Haven't heard anything about this. I just found it today, randomly. It sounds great! I’m in love with any in-universe reference books. They've even got a blurb:

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Most Wanted is an in-world book that traces the exploits of Star Wars criminals through illustrated memorabilia paired with narration by three generations of galactic law enforcers.

Whether beneath the peaceful era of the Republic or amid the fear of the Empire, criminals of the Star Wars universe have thrived. The exploits of the most notorious smugglers, pirates, gamblers, syndicates, and gangsters have shaped the history of the galaxy.

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Most Wanted is a highly illustrated in-world book that presents the collection that once existed on Hosnian Prime. Narrated by three generations of galactic law enforcers, this collection profiles the most notorious and influential members of the underworld through stories, firsthand accounts, and collected memorabilia.

This never-before-seen assortment of warrants, wanted posters, mug shots, menus from business fronts, reenactments, artifacts, and much more bring the galaxy’s most wanted to life.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  2. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    This sounds really good ! I wonder if this book comes out the same time as solo on home video seems like a good tie in ?

3. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
  4. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Yes! Yes! YES! Sign me up!

5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    More Enfys Nest? Yes please!

DarthJaceus likes this.
  6. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    If it's anything like Pablo's Propaganda book, it will be very good stuff indeed.

DarthJaceus and JediBatman like this.
  7. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    Also, it seems as though we are getting more actual art, as oppose to stills from the films. That's always welcome in my book.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Not wild about that cover.

9. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yeah, it really ties all the different sources together.

10. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Pablo Hidalgo interview.
    https://www.starwars.com/news/pablo-hidalgo-scum-and-villainy
    [​IMG]
    StarWars.com: Considering your well-documented love of the Mos Eisley cantina, I’m not surprised you wrote a book called Scum and Villainy. As a longtime Star Wars expert, what appeals to you about the seedy underbelly of Star Wars?

Pablo Hidalgo: Variety. This is where individuality really shines. From a distance, political factions often tend to blur into uniforms and banners, but in the criminal underworld, you’re more likely to find really colorful individuals trying to leave their personal mark, because they’re not fighting for a greater cause. They’re just in it for themselves. So you end up with a really rich rogue’s gallery of characters.

StarWars.com: The conceit that the book is culled from the files of a familial line of police officers is really fun and pretty unique for a Star Wars book. How did you land on that?

Pablo Hidalgo: I thought what worked really well with Propaganda was treating the book as an artifact from the universe written by someone who lives in it. In that case, it was a long-lived artist looking back at decades of propaganda art. And that author doesn’t need to be free of bias or baggage. He’s definitely coloring the facts with his experience.

We wanted to do something similar with this one, but the multi-generational angle allows for different points of view and different comments on what law enforcement is to different societies. In this case, a Republic official, an Imperial official, and a New Republic official. And since generations disagree with each other on history, it makes or some nice drama lurking beneath the text.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

StarWars.com: You throw in phrases like “My mother wore the badge during the Galactic Civil War,” which I really enjoyed — it’s like ’70s cop-show terminology thrown into Star Wars.

Pablo Hidalgo: I am a huge fan of old detective shows — Columbo, Kojak, The Streets of San Francisco — so there is definitely influence in there. In the same way the core of Star Wars synthesizes samurai, war, and western movies of yesteryear, its criminal tales sometimes pull from cops and gangster pics of old, when Edward G. Robinson and James Cagney put their mark on the genre.

StarWars.com: The art is quite beautiful. Did you collaborate with the artists at all in terms of direction, or was it just a pleasant surprise when pieces would come in?

Pablo Hidalgo: My main point of collaboration was with my editor, Delia Greve, and the art director for the project, Sam Dawson. I didn’t work with the artists directly, but Delia and Sam shared works in progress as they came in, and that was exciting. When we started the project, we knew it was to have a real “artifact” feel in terms of the visuals, with mugshots, evidence reports, and surveillance imagery aplenty. I put together a number of mood-boards for the spreads as we plotted the book, some of which contained real life mugshots that I found on the internet. For instance, the starting point of the Dex’s Diner images was photos of mobsters from the Donnie Brasco case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

StarWars.com: The case files are punctuated with some little surprises, like a found letter from Hondo Ohnaka — left to someone he was robbing about what an honor it is to be robbed by Hondo Ohnaka. Would these just kind of come to you as you were writing, or was there a set plan to include these supplements, which really add depth and levity to the book?

Pablo Hidalgo: It was a mix of surprises and revelations as the pieces came together, and other elements that were deliberately panned from the start. The Hondo example is a case where what makes Hondo so unique is his boisterous voice, so how do you capture that in evidence? Have his words speak for him. And it ties into some old lore about pirate letters of marque that ran in an article in the old Star Wars Adventure Journal about pirates and privateers.

StarWars.com: The breadth of events, artifacts, and characters featured is really impressive, including some content that hasn’t really been fleshed out before, like the Mandalorian armor in Dryden Vos’s study. Did you want to use the book as an opportunity to further explore and establish more details in continuity?

Pablo Hidalgo: There are a couple of threads that this book continues from other storylines and ideas. An example I can think of is in Solo: The Official Guide that came out earlier this year, there’s a very fleeting mention made of Dryden Vos’s personal physician. Scum and Villainy picks up that idea and identifies him. Given that Vos has a Decraniated server in his staff, you can kind of guess where this is going. That’s the kind of connectivity that’s there lurking in the text, but isn’t called out with any sort of attention, since I hope it’s more rewarding for people to speculate about it.

StarWars.com: Finally, pick one bad guy or gal in Scum and Villainy that you personally think gets a bad rap.

Pablo Hidalgo: The Imperial era makes it really hard to peg players as good or bad, given how awful the government is. A lot of crooks from that time are more admirable than the Law! We see folks like Liana Hallick with a mugshot and wanted poster, and know her to have more integrity than the forces looking to apprehend her.

Scum and Villainy arrives October 23 and is available for pre-order now.

Gamiel, JediBatman, spicer and 4 others like this.
  11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Glad to see Ithano's crew gets an entry. Interesting also that I think this is the first time that "Rutian" is used in new canon in terms of Twi'lek skin color. Although at the same time, that's actually wrong from the Legends use, where Rutians were blue and Lethans were red.

kalzeth, JediBatman, spicer and 4 others like this.
  12. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    Actual art! Not just boring stills from the films. Awesome. Can't wait.

JediBatman likes this.
  13. DarthJaceus

Dec 6, 2016
    Sounds like it will be yet another excellent piece by Pablo.

@Charlemagne19 you might find his mention of the letters of marque from Star Wars Adventure Journal interesting

14. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Character speculation:
    From this description of the book --
    -- and these lines from the third preview page --
    -- I'm wondering if the first-generation/Republic-era police officer is Tan Divo from TCW and the second-generation/Imperial-era police officer is the daughter named above, Andressa.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Aw man they should have gotten one of those interior artists to do the cover!

[​IMG]

...we seem to be communicating in Disney gifs lately, Dr. Brule...

16. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
  17. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Wonder if we'll find out more about that encounter Beckett had with Aurra Sing. Very curious about how that came about.

Also Divo got a mention. Assuming this is the same guy from TCW that's a nice reference.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    kalzeth, DelRiego and DarthJaceus like this.
  18. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    This is excellent.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  19. DarthJaceus

Dec 6, 2016
    Indeed! I freaking love reference books, and Pablo makes some excellent ones! I'm excited to see exactly who gets the spotlight and what references can be found in the text.

Love your sig by the way!

Grievousdude likes this.
  20. Al3xis33

Al3xis33 Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2018
    bonjour, pouvons-nous considérer "Scum Star Wars et Villainy: Dossiers sur les criminels les plus célèbres de la Galaxie" comme une sorte de réhabilitation de canon au "code des chasseurs de primes"?

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Trying my best to figure that out without google translate — I don’t know French, but my Napoleonic knowledge should come in handy... You’re asking if this will be a kind of recanonization of the Bounty Hunter’s Code?

I imagine we may see similar things. But I don’t expect that was the intent. This one is era hopping and given that we’re looking at it from a law enforcement POV — technically bounty hunters are themselves on the same side (sometimes). But I have to imagine they’d come up. They’re “scum,” after all. ;)

Dan Wallace has an upcoming book on smugglers from the same series as the BHC reference book. It has a different focus entirely but that’s also something to look into.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  22. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I got an early copy at NYCC! If you’re here, go to the Quarto book stand... 2361 I think? It’s early and 40% off.

I haven’t had a chance to read it yet.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    DarthJaceus and Sinrebirth like this.
  24. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Is it canon or will elements be ignored for story convenience in one the more visually oriented mediums? :p

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  25. Al3xis33

Al3xis33 Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2018
    I wanted to write in English, but I copied the text in French, anyway, thank you for your answer, I look forward to this and "The Smuggler's Guide".