main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Netflix's "The Witcher" (based on the famed video game series) Now with less Cavill

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Sep 4, 2018.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Darth_Furio and Ender Sai like this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I know there were some rumors they were looking at Zach McGowan but it's hard to argue when you get a star of this magnitude comparatively and don''t care how much $$$ you spend.

Darth_Furio and heels1785 like this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Netflix has got the dough - even though they're like 20 billion in debt, or however their wildass business model works.

In thinking through how Cavill will look/sound, going back to JL - for the 5ish minutes of crazy eyes/newly resurrected Kal ("you won't let me live, you won't let me die," etc) - I can hear similarity to Doug Cockle.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Cavill was excellent in Mission Impossible: Fallout and The Man from UNCLE (very underrated) -- both of which are very different from his Superman -- so I'm confident this will be just as good.

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    That’s great. He’s a massive fan, I am sure he’ll be very good in the role.

heels1785 likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'd also forgotten he was a huge fan of the games. Self-admission -- I don't really play Witcher or any other games besides more traditional CRPGs, BattleTech, and WoW (still)... and it's hard to see anything turning out like Deadpool in terms of merging of mega-fan and source material. But this can't help but also be a win in the positive column there...

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm curious what Andrzej Sapkowski is going to make of the TV show, given that he doesn't really care for what CDPR did with Geralt in the video games. Is it a direct adaptation of the books, or did Sapkowski insist that the TV show create separate stories using his characters, like he insisted happen with the games?

heels1785 likes this.
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I’m sure he’s got a much better financial deal for this one so he’ll somehow be much happier with it.

Also they should just go all in and base the series on the underlying premise of the very last chapter of Season of Storms.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  10. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I was expecting something about Geralt and a literal jar of piss.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That's more of a Philippa Eilhart move.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What do you think that tub is filled with?

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My medallion mustache is humming. Place of Power. Gotta be.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh weird none of those Reddit arguments seem to consider the possibility that because Nilfgaard is essentially a stand-in for the Ottoman Empire this might actually make sense. What are the odds?

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I know heels pooh-poohs it, but someone made that exact argument in the io9 comments. About how the Polish Empire circa 1000s - 1500s was gigantic and had so much interaction with Turkey it attracted a lot of Asian influence, culture, and people and is not the Poland people think of today...

Jedi Merkurian and Ramza like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I bought Witcher 1 and 2 on Steam a couple months ago. Can't wait to play them because it gives me an excuse to replay 3 yet again.

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I knew Witcher was a game, have watched my son in law.

Didn't know there were books so I requested them from the library to read.

As far as Henry Cavill lol, at least his strangely angled face will be hidden by more hair. Too bad they couldn't have saved some money and got Maul Cosplay to do it, he's got the costume.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Ramza likes this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You have no idea how jealous I am of the fact that these days you can actually write such a sentence. :p

SuperWatto likes this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    heels pooh-poohs io9, because it is a ****ing cesspool. heels does not pooh-pooh the argument.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This would make sense if all the other Nilfgaardians get cast as PoCs as well, but you and I both know they won't because it's not politically correct to show non-whites being expansionist and imperialist.

Ender Sai likes this.
  24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Sure, but then is your counterproposal that we shouldn't bother with the historical equivalencies at all? Because then these quibbles make even less sense (well, okay, they make plenty of sense given the likely rationale, but let's pretend they're being made in good faith) since we're talking about bull**** fantasy land where the points don't matter and the rules are made up.

SuperWatto likes this.
  25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah but Vivec has a point, Ramza. The left's so neutered as a political force because it frets over nonsense bull**** like "is yoga cultural genocide", without ever leaving their first world country and understanding how the world works. If the entire expansionist empire of Nilfgaard was brown skinned and attacking white Polish analogues the "left" would have an absolute meltdown. A pissing contest of who is the most woke, in an argument where nobody wins but everyone competes to be slightly more woke - and therefore, more "worthy" - than the idiot next to them.

None of that withstanding that the Ottomans weren't afraid of a fight, of course...

Anyway, I am happy with the casting because it means we get a few years of peak physical condition Geralt on screen. Ciri too - I'll always see her as per the games but I only recall her eyes being green and her hair "ashen" in the books (not white, as per games). I thought Nilfgaard was based on the Holy Roman, not Ottoman, Empire though?

EDIT: Wait, aren't the Nilfgaard also called "The Black Ones", on account of their black armour? Yes, this will go well.